Weird new pest on my bonsai! :( Anyone know what this is?

Ali_Bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
I would appreciate it if someone can tell me what these are? They're crawling all over the branches of a juniper I have. They come our mainly towards the end of the day and some foliage are actually dying. I live in Southern California if that makes any difference and it's starting to get hot during the days.
Is there a way to get rid of these and im going to separate the pot from the others so it doesnt spread...

Also, i bought a new juniper from a nursery and i noticed there are centipedes in the soil!!! :(
Any remedy for that? I havent repotted the tree yet. photo.jpg

Thank you for your help!
Ali

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That looks like a tick to me. They aren't after your plant. They are after you and your blood. They are common and can carry diseases. Nasty critters. You should check yourself all over for them to see if any have moved to you when you handled the plant (And I mean ALL OVER).

Might also be an aphid...

If it's soft-bodied, it's an aphid. If it's hard to squish, it's a tick.

Aphids are easy. Get an anti-aphid spray.

If it's a tick, it's more difficult...

Don't sweat the centipedes. They're predators and won't hurt your plants,

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree that it looks like a tick. If you have pets (dogs/cats) time to have their tick and flea collars on.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
concur, def. a tick. If you have pets, you'll need to check them all over to see if they have any embedded in their skin, as well as yourself.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I think what rockm was getting at by saying "check all over" is look around and under your twig and berries (for men) or your tulip (woman) and every other place on your body especially warm places. Growing up on a farm and wooded area all my life ticks turn into be an everyday thing. But it's still not a fun time when they start getting under your skin and their heads have to be cut out.

Ali_Bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
Tnx Rockm for that link. That's definitely what it looks like. Also we don't have any pets. I crushed them on the branches of the tree and they squish real easy. I barely have to press on it and it liquifies. I highly doubt it's a tick.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
The critter in your photo is not a tick -- it has six legs and a pair of antenna. Ticks have 8 legs. I suppose it could be an aphid, but I can't remember the last time I saw an aphid on a POT. Anyway a soap spray will rid you of them. Or even a HARD jet of water.

Are you seeing centipedes or millipedes? Centipedes are flattish and usually brown or red. They have a single pair of relatively long legs per segment that come off the sides of the creature and fairly long antennae.

Millipede bodies are round and shiny, with what look like a gazillion short stubby legs coming off the underside of the critter. Turns out they usually will have 4 legs per segment. When they crawl the legs seem to move in wave-like motions.

Both are harmless to humans unless you have the 6-12 inch variety of North American centipede which can give a dangerous nip and require medical treatment. Smaller ones cannot penetrate human skin.

Neither do much chewing on live plants. Centipedes are predators, and eat other critters. Millipedes eat decaying organic material but reportedly will chew on a new root every now and then.

The presence of either indicates that your soil is MUCH too wet.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Sorry I couldn't tell it was an aphid from the picture you put up. I'm at work using my iPhone so I don't have a huge computer screen in front of me. But the link rockm put up is exactly the aphid I had on my mugo pine and they were all over it. For some reason I have aphids this year which I've never had before. And spider mites! Soapy water worked great but I still get aphids on my schiffelara's new growth every couple days.

Not trying to hijack your thread but is there a way to prevent aphids from coming back? I have never had a pest problem till I moved where I am. Also spider mites. Ugh I hit them with soapy water also. Can I use that on a Chinese elm and Fukien tea tree as well?

Ali_Bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
I sprayed the branches and foliage with soap water. It's def an aphid as i saw some other pics on the internet as well.

It's on the pot cause i started picking them off and i put there so i can get a good pic of it :)

And yes, I know the difference between centipedes and millipedes and these are def centipedes! ;) I didnt know they can be harmless and good to know.
Thank you everyone for the help!! much appreciated.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My favorite pest management routine is water squirt bottle.It is done daily or every two day's.That may be difficult with a dense juniper branch or a very large collection.It works great for aphids and scale insects,bag worms and catipillar's.Aphids are the main pest for me on tender new growth,but after the branch hardens they dissapear.A daily shot of water totally disturbs them.They do not attack leaves.It is actually pretty fun and safer for plants.

Top Bottom