Weird reddening of JM leaves

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I somehow managed to root this cutting last year, so I gave it a proper repot this year and it grew well. Since it flushed out, the edge of the leaves have progressively turned redder. Has anyone seen anything like this before? It seems healthy otherwise but this has my a smidge worried. Thanks!

Some notes :
Planted in 100% small akadama
6-7 hours of sun under shade cloth
Spray twice monthly with liquid kelp

PXL_20210505_175336964.jpg
PXL_20210524_174350579.jpg

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
For sure, but it's sitting next to the tree it was cut off of, and that tree is perfectly green.

View attachment 376908
The leaf color is highly influenced by the hormones that are flowing around. For example, when you airlayer a JM, it's common for the top of the airlayer to turn red because of the separation of the cambium.

I have high confidence that your cutting has a different hormonal look than the parent tree, leading to the variation.

If you're wondering if it's some kind of DNA or genetic alteration, it definitely is not.

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
The leaf color is highly influenced by the hormones that are flowing around. For example, when you airlayer a JM, it's common for the top of the airlayer to turn red because of the separation of the cambium.

I have high confidence that your cutting has a different hormonal look than the parent tree, leading to the variation.

If you're wondering if it's some kind of DNA or genetic alteration, it definitely is not
I was more just ensuring there was nothing proactive I needed to do to ensure it stayed healthy and alive. thanks for the info!

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
I’ve found trees propagated from other trees behave entirely differently to the mother plant. I’ve got 5 air layers off the the same parent tree and they’ve all behaved very differently this fall. Some are yellow, some orange, and one red. The mother tree also has very different fall colour, a deep wine red colour.

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
I’ve found trees propagated from other trees behave entirely differently to the mother plant. I’ve got 5 air layers off the the same parent tree and they’ve all behaved very differently this fall. Some are yellow, some orange, and one red. The mother tree also has very different fall colour, a deep wine red colour.
very interesting. certainly wouldn't have expected that!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
very interesting. certainly wouldn't have expected that!
I agree. The clones should genetically be the same as the parent. I suspect a physiological response is behind it and the plants will mature in a similar fashion. Sometimes the growth habit is affected by where the cutting was made such as prostrate lower growth verses apical top growth etc., but I don't believe this is normally the case with JM.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I agree. The clones should genetically be the same as the parent. I suspect a physiological response is behind it and the plants will mature in a similar fashion. Sometimes the growth habit is affected by where the cutting was made such as prostrate lower growth verses apical top growth etc., but I don't believe this is normally the case with JM.
In addition, Japanese maples have juvenile and mature foliage that look completely different. You can have juvenile foliage one season and mature the next and wonder what the heck is going on.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If it's getting more sun than previously the leaves will redden up, even green leaf JM leaves will alter slightly. If you provide more shade they will revert back to the green color.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

This kind of red edge is very common on healthy Acer palmatum/amoenum.

The difference in clones is, I think, mainly because of the strength of the tree and/or the quality of the soil (pH, nutriments, etc.) and the sun exposure.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In addition, Japanese maples have juvenile and mature foliage that look completely different. You can have juvenile foliage one season and mature the next and wonder what the heck is going on.
Particularly with seedlings. It can take a few years to know the leaf type.
If it's getting more sun than previously the leaves will redden up, even green leaf JM leaves will alter slightly. If you provide more shade they will revert back to the green color.
Very true. That is the type of physiological response I was alluding to.

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
well thanks for the help everyone - i greatly appreciate. in conclusion - the tree is fine!

Top Bottom