Weird spring weather and leaf color

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm wondering if this cold spring weather can have an effect on leaf color? I have several crape myrtles that are exhibiting what could best be described as fall color. The leaves have turned very red. I don't think the trees are in trouble or anything but it is a little disconcerting when you're expecting nice green growth in the spring. The trees have not been subjected to freezing temps, but have been exposed to as low as about 33 - 34 for a few hours with new growth happening. It went several degrees below the forecast I was checking or I would have moved them in.

It looks totally different than the landscape trees that were exposed to several freezes. Those leaves turned black very quickly. These leaves are red, and actually very pretty, but it's a little nerve racking. Has anyone experienced fall color in the spring before? How did the trees react for the rest of the season? Did the red leaves fall off and get replaced with new green ones?

And I should mention that it's only on the crapes. Elms and maples look normal.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It's totally normal. Where I live we always have late cold snaps and the crapes at the nursery I work at always change color but continue growth with no problems.

Aaeon

Top Bottom