Welcome to the Phoenix Bonsai Society club forum!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It took me a while LOL Tan nuki? Yes we do tan here!

@sorce has a fast wit :)

I am pretty sure he is playing with the association between "Phoenix" and tanuki as a bonsai technique to resurrect a dead tree and give it a new life :)

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
are you guys meeting in 2021?
They just had a board meeting on Sunday. They have still not opened up. We are kind of stuck. Our membership is on the older side and they are leary of showing up.

62veedub

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I assume we can still join? Is there a benefit of joining now vs when meetings are scheduled again?

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I assume we can still join? Is there a benefit of joining now vs when meetings are scheduled again?
You can still join. It will give you access to the members side of the website but getting together for meetings is the real key to getting better at bonsai. Nothing like hands on instruction with a great mentor.

62veedub

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yeah, I remember when I was a member of the Cascade Bonsai Society, way more info by attending. But, I’m a pretty quiet guy and prefer to be in the background. Definitely looking forward to meeting the locals though!

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, I remember when I was a member of the Cascade Bonsai Society, way more info by attending. But, I’m a pretty quiet guy and prefer to be in the background. Definitely looking forward to meeting the locals though!
Great group. You can be as involved as you want to be for sure. How long have you been in the valley?

62veedub

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I’ve been here since spring of 2017. Just recently getting back into bonsai though.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great. Do you have any trees that you are working on?

62veedub

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have a few small ficus I’ve been growing from cuttings, some seedlings I bought from Amazon “Redwoods of the world”, and picked up a small Pomegranate recently.

Since I’ve been in AZ I’ve been growing palm trees from seeds and pineapples. I couldn’t grow those in Oregon!

I‘m mostly focusing on getting set up for future trees. We’re remodeling our back yard, so I don’t have a designated space (or shade) yet.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good for you! Definitely a learning curve for bonsai in AZ. Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Glad to help if I can. Let me know.

Bonsai4life

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good for you! Definitely a learning curve for bonsai in AZ. Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Glad to help if I can. Let me know
Have you ever worked/ repotted a common myrtle? I got one about 5 months ago in a grower pot. I would like to repot it and trim it a little bit.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you ever worked/ repotted a common myrtle? I got one about 5 months ago in a grower pot. I would like to repot it and trim it a little bit.
I have not. We are getting close to repotting time. I will start next weekend. Basic repot rules would apply for taking it out of the grower pot I believe. Reduce the canopy a bit if you are going to do root work.

Bonsai4life

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have not. We are getting close to repotting time. I will start next weekend. Basic repot rules would apply for taking it out of the grower pot I believe. Reduce the canopy a bit if you are going to do root work.
Thank you.

Top Bottom