Welcome visitors to the garden

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Excerpt from below article:

People tend to kill copperheads on sight, but they are better predators for mice than black rat snakes, Brown said.
Copperheads are pit vipers, which makes them “really good at hunting warm-blooded prey. They’re extremely good at rodent control,” he said.

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What's your address? I'll send you some.
I remember my when my family was walking a trail somewhere in Presque Isle when my little brother (5 yrs old at the time) went missing. We walked back on the trail and found him shaking a stick at a rattle snake in the brush.

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I remember my when my family was walking a trail somewhere in Presque Isle when my little brother (5 yrs old at the time) went missing. We walked back on the trail and found him shaking a stick at a rattle snake in the brush.
He's 58 now and has survived a lot worse over the years :) There was a herpetarium at our summer camp loaded with snakes that the senior campers collected and maintained. They used to collect spring peeper frogs to feed them. I felt bad for the frogs and released them when no one was looking. My brother was with me and for whatever reason decided to drop the dime on me. Needless to say, the senior campers harassed me for the remainder of camp that summer!

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Excerpt from below article:

People tend to kill copperheads on sight, but they are better predators for mice than black rat snakes, Brown said.
Copperheads are pit vipers, which makes them “really good at hunting warm-blooded prey. They’re extremely good at rodent control,” he said.

They may be good at rodent control but there are other methods for that. I'll leave them alone and give a wide berth out in the woods, but as soon as they take up residence in my garage, they get the shovel.

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've seen some really big copperheads in Calvert Cliffs, MD. I wouldn't approach them driving in a tank!

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The toad was cooling itself in a birdbath in the garden as I left for work early one morning, on one of those days were it was 80+ degrees at 7:15AM.

This banded water snake was chilling on the patio between the garden and the pool at dusk. It had absolutely no fear of me, and was not at all aggressive (which is somewhat uncharacteristic for the species). This one was about 14". I've had much bigger ones strike at me simply for approaching for a closer look. This is a very dangerous place for him to chill, though, because we regularly have birds of prey feed in our backyard during the day and the night (a variety of hawks, and owls), AND, a fat 7' black racer lives under the aluminum pool coping, not too far away.

Attachments

• IMG_1072.JPG
    IMG_1072.JPG
    335.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0571.JPG
    IMG_0571.JPG
    353.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0580.JPG
    IMG_0580.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 82
Top Bottom