Welcome visitors to the garden

Tropfrog

Seedling
Reaction score
Had a very unwelcome visitor last night. Went to take the dog out right at dusk and found a copperhead in my garage. He didn't last long. Has me on high alert around the garden now though.

p
That copperhead is 250 euro worth here, Alive. Another hobby, Another continent.

Br
Magnus

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I
In this part of the south, "Katydid" is the colloquial name for a "leaf bug." Honestly don't know if that is a regional thing, or not.
I use the term “katydid” here. They have such an annoying sound!!

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
When I was a kid there were salamanders and frogs around. Walking sticks. Praying mantises. Sometimes I see praying mantises but they are rare now. I miss the diversity of life here. It’s skunks, raccoons, and doves with a few lizards and that’s about it.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
When I was a kid there were salamanders and frogs around. Walking sticks. Praying mantises. Sometimes I see praying mantises but they are rare now. I miss the diversity of life here. It’s skunks, raccoons, and doves with a few lizards and that’s about it.
Aren't we supposed to stick to bonsai and avoid politics?

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I suppose it’s difficult with kids and dogs around, but such a shame. Different country, different mentality.

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Couple of Mallard ducks landed in the garden. The neighbour's cat showing interest.
BHcoULuKgAH_fYsIWJ-PgkRzs6feR2yWh65pP_9xlXwPUHByeKwaC_T7cChFJA002zwZ-Aj5Lf9q0mzLD4s-PfOmGGpka12ZRBpnW6APt14KZaNc9dzAnyHv4OgnrmuyHoBYqdLLv7sKmOi5i3e2bbRC0lkf3HWh3j5XLYP_jj0KPzlBd5l-qynpJaVGeQmg58C0Txh0JQ8tzactKhExiKiefoeqa3tg5OLH51ekQDBIL_UBzFYdbYua9RrCCCP3wZyOsqqrUJPgQdtNX4DEdOC0OaMggE0iRdHBqb4DX_jM7HebHtJskgDtMJqFbpOtn1lkvkK43lckAmBvAI_YA13s6wopTkIqWCuaDrKTA9968cVgds2XtRDPtHYqzH6Wkg7U8FYXLubvPQ8cUWPI5s8TbnKH-6m3GrTb39rDOAFiUdDy8usQo3mlr4KB8SqylEk10axLCIo0Aa2MyX_L_jDiir9K9gcGkvk1xi95i3kw4P_C-b-wQbiZn1YeiWR_RRO85mTWWPmVRsufLDlPEW4KBwBvQxNYAkfF9LmtGY-JOqeMNN0NyDrdtfIof2IMECg2ioial8lIP-B2AKNEKEMuPnl2E7TrLDaLUv1H-PDvdOGgMuuM8nCkILxKeHbXy9oQl4SxO75F8PLxEBaTaiYyUZThOOP4vkzSqVGijYnMczcKc7VHu0DL5fbRP-VFuMgm3MF0odAJr_xAe4pwboVHC45rdycH9zKTb9Lmim8LM157=w574-h678-no

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
The mentality to just kill it. If we’re lucky enough to get a snake in our gardens, it’s more of interest or scaredy cattedness and I’m pretty sure most people would leave it. Then again, we only have the adder thats venomous and next to nobody ever sees them.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The mentality to just kill it. If we’re lucky enough to get a snake in our gardens, it’s more of interest or scaredy cattedness and I’m pretty sure most people would leave it. Then again, we only have the adder thats venomous and next to nobody ever sees them.

It wasn't in the garden. It was in my garage.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love animals. But I have lived in some countries with some serious snakes. I fully understand that once you start finding snakes in certain spaces you do not take the risk of transplanting but you take more serious measures. Not sure it has to do with culture, but maybe more with the day to day risk of getting a seriously nasty bite? Especially species that are not rare or endangered.. Yeah, I can understand.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I love animals. But I have lived in some countries with some serious snakes. I fully understand that once you start finding snakes in certain spaces you do not take the risk of transplanting but you take more serious measures. Not sure it has to do with culture, but maybe more with the day to day risk of getting a seriously nasty bite? Especially species that are not rare or endangered.. Yeah, I can understand.
That’s quite right. I wasn’t questioning the mentality of Americans, just the mentality of having to deal with dangerous creatures. Different country, different dangers therefore, different mentality of having to deal with them one way or another. I meant no offence, it’s just a shame that critters have to die is all. I do understand though when your family’s safety is at stake. Should’ve made it clearer in my first post.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have had the "good fortune" of having survived being bitten by a rattlesnake. And I mean nailed but good. It was 48 hours of agony, convulsions, tetanic contractions in every muscle in my body. Followed by having my entire arm turn blue, then black then fade to blue to fade completely in about 5 months. Some minor nerve damage persists even now, some 45 years later. Got a lot a looks for having one hand black and one hand normal.

When I am in "the woods" or wild spaces, and encounter poisonous snakes, I just get out of their way, as this is their habitat. Snakes are territorial, usually where you see a rattlesnake, it likely will be seen again within 150 meters of that location. Their territories are not very wide ranging. If a venomous snake takes up residence in your garage, or under your house, it can be a threat to yourself, your pets, your children. It is very understandable if you have to kill it. Tagging snakes captured and then relocated shows that a mature snake will return home with the accuracy of a homing pigeon for distances up to near 25 miles. Especially in temperate areas, once a snake finds a hibernarium (a location to hibernate the winter) the snake imprints on the location and will return year after year. There is a distance at which they won't be able to find their way back, but I don't know what it is.

So if you have children, or vulnerable pets, and a poisonous snake takes up residence in or under or around your home, it is perfectly reasonable to dispatch the snake to the great beyond. It is unreasonable to relocate the snake as it will likely return.

If your encounter with the snake is "in the woods" in the wild, or otherwise in areas natural for snakes to be located, just give it wide berth and leave it alone.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Cor blimey Leo, that sounds horrendous but glad you made it. I once had a badger give me some kind of death stare....but you know, I told him what’s what. Forums like this really give you a lesson in international diplomacy!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I wasn’t making a political statement at all. It’s just something I have observed. Nothing more.
I was being facetious. Uncharacteristically.

Top Bottom