Welcome visitors to the garden

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Black Rat snake.
The black racer is allegedly native too, but I've never seen one.
black racer?
The black rat is duller in its black color.
The black racer is glossy.....that's the main identifier. But this one, still has some of its juvenile pattern left, which screams Black Rat to me. But you can see that this one has a dull sheen.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These guys are almost impossible to get a picture of!

IMG_8768.jpg

Ruby throated humming birds :D This is my deck though my kitchen window.

It's ironic that they are so camera shy because when I'm out there watering my trees or just enjoying the evening sipping wine, they buzz me all the time!!!

Last night I was inspecting the foliage on that shingle oak just under the feeder. I had my hand on that leaf on the top there. I heard a "vvmmm" which I've learned is them buzzing in and hovering. I've also learned they are like tiny T-Rexes in that if you don't move, they can't see you! OK, I don't know if that part is true...but all three of them came in to eat with my face literally 6" from that feeder! I could hear them chitter to one another...I never realized how chatty they are because their chirp is so soft! But, up close like that? They are very chatty!

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Giant swallowtail butterfly sitting on my mallow. We have citrus and rue in the yard as host plants.
This is the butterfly where the caterpillar looks like bird poop. If you look close you can see false eyes on the tail to direct any predator attacks away from the vulnerable head.

Attachments

• 89B930CF-F4FC-45A9-B9A7-B1B7BD97E68E.jpeg
    89B930CF-F4FC-45A9-B9A7-B1B7BD97E68E.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 11
  • E4E95D89-5E0F-4086-9777-13AB83A9E5D4.jpeg
    E4E95D89-5E0F-4086-9777-13AB83A9E5D4.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 10
  • A0FFCBB6-B139-4E9C-9AD7-336730636263.jpeg
    A0FFCBB6-B139-4E9C-9AD7-336730636263.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 15

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
These guys are almost impossible to get a picture of!

View attachment 394479

Ruby throated humming birds :D This is my deck though my kitchen window.

It's ironic that they are so camera shy because when I'm out there watering my trees or just enjoying the evening sipping wine, they buzz me all the time!!!

Last night I was inspecting the foliage on that shingle oak just under the feeder. I had my hand on that leaf on the top there. I heard a "vvmmm" which I've learned is them buzzing in and hovering. I've also learned they are like tiny T-Rexes in that if you don't move, they can't see you! OK, I don't know if that part is true...but all three of them came in to eat with my face literally 6" from that feeder! I could hear them chitter to one another...I never realized how chatty they are because their chirp is so soft! But, up close like that? They are very chatty!
Awesome. I love them and have locals. Sadly moved feeders because 6 yellowjackets took to it. Saw the birds and wasp fighting but big bees won. I'm going to have to address it in future. Felt bad birds came out and buzzed me without feeders up a few times. I love birds. Maybe a teahouse thread here in the future. Saw two eastern bluebirds this summer

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I've had a lot this year, they are definitely getting fat on the flies attracted by the fish emulsion and organic tea bags.
Makes sense. You're in Australian w huntsman? We have big wolf spiders here. They are in my bonsai and veggies

Confused you w someone but remember you from Maine now

Last edited:
Top Bottom