Well documented JBP

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Pines are deciduous trees whose leaves (needles) have a three year lifespan. On the tree in the first photo, you can see new buds at the tip and old needles farther down. In the second photo, you can see a new candle just before candling, and just below you see last season's needles. These are the old needles of which we speak.

Needles from the season before should have been removed from the tree.

They are yellower and more brittle and do little but harbor insects and block light.

If a person bought a tree from a dealer a year ago and was not given instructions on doing the steps/stages can they do them now?
Mom

Reaction score
USDA Zone
By climate I mean it depends on how long your growing season is. If it is 9 to ten months long, candle later. And there is a tiny bit of bleeding but not enough to even concern yourself about. They stop immediately.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
By climate I mean it depends on how long your growing season is. If it is 9 to ten months long, candle later. And there is a tiny bit of bleeding but not enough to even concern yourself about. They stop immediately.

Should a cut paste be used?
Mom

Reaction score
USDA Zone
If a person bought a tree from a dealer a year ago and was not given instructions on doing the steps/stages can they do them now?
Mom

If you have a tree that has not previously been worked on, now is a perfect time to prepare it for next year. First, look at your branches. The needles at the ends of the branch, on candles that came out this year, are, oddly enough, called "this year's needles." ;) Last year's needles are just below these and are a darker or grayer green, are usually harder, and may show broken or bent needes whose ends have turned brown. Two year old needles are below those (one step closer to the trunk) and are yellowish and probably turning loose.

At this time, you should remove all two year old needles, trash in the interior of the tree, etc., and take a look at your tree. If it still seems full, you should remove almost all one year old needles except on weak branches. The advantage of light and air getting inside the tree cannot be overestimated. This will also give you a good view of the interior of the tree and formulate a plan for where you want to go with the tree. Some light pruning can be done at this time. Feed your tree now to prepare it for winter. Don't be afraid of getting new growth, your pine will not really do anything except set buds.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Should a cut paste be used?
Mom

The only time I would use cut paste on a pine would be if I were reducing a large stub. You would never get cut paste on all those candle stubs. They will be removed later, and a cut this small never really needs cut paste.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
If you have a tree that has not previously been worked on, now is a perfect time to prepare it for next year. First, look at your branches. The needles at the ends of the branch, on candles that came out this year, are, oddly enough, called "this year's needles." ;) Last year's needles are just below these and are a darker or grayer green, are usually harder, and may show broken or bent needes whose ends have turned brown. Two year old needles are below those (one step closer to the trunk) and are yellowish and probably turning loose.

At this time, you should remove all two year old needles, trash in the interior of the tree, etc., and take a look at your tree. If it still seems full, you should remove almost all one year old needles except on weak branches. The advantage of light and air getting inside the tree cannot be overestimated. This will also give you a good view of the interior of the tree and formulate a plan for where you want to go with the tree. Some light pruning can be done at this time. Feed your tree now to prepare it for winter. Don't be afraid of getting new growth, your pine will not really do anything except set buds.

Should a person need to take care on how they pull the needles off?
Mom

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pines are deciduous trees whose leaves (needles) have a three year lifespan.

Just a little nit, not all pines have a three year lifespan for the needles. Pinus longaeva, the longest lived bristlecone pine, can keep needles for thirty years. The more common bristlecone pine, Pinus aristata, is supposed to keep them for seven.

Of course, those may be the exception that proves the rule!

-Darrell

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just a little nit, not all pines have a three year lifespan for the needles. Pinus longaeva, the longest lived bristlecone pine, can keep needles for thirty years. The more common bristlecone pine, Pinus aristata, is supposed to keep them for seven.

Of course, those may be the exception that proves the rule!

-Darrell

I was speaking in generalities to make the point that older needles should come off. When one gets more familiar with their pines, they will learn to easily differentiate between years' worth of growth.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Should a person need to take care on how they pull the needles off?
Mom

This is a very good question. When pulling 2 year old needles, I just grasp them by the handful, they usually come off easily and with the needle fascicle. When needle plucking in conjunction with candling, more precision is needed. You need a very strong pair of tweezers. Masakuni straight end tweezers work exceptionally well, and this is the only job I use them for. Basically, I grab the needles at the base, and pull in the direction of growth with a slight rolling motion. This just pops them off.

If you try to pull needles back towards the trunk, you can peel the bark and this, generally speaking, is not your aim.

Top Bottom