Well got some mugos

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
I must say I was always so timid to get pines and try and word with them. But I have always loved looking at pine bonsai. So got some nursery stock and said screw it ! Did some clean up on them. Made some boxes and planted them up. Question is it true you only want one to two new candles and to trim the rest in a section?

Attachments

• IMG_20200501_174932.jpg
    IMG_20200501_174932.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20200501_174919.jpg
    IMG_20200501_174919.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20200501_174914.jpg
    IMG_20200501_174914.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 57

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Matt,
Nice finds!! Have you cleaned them up already or are they as found? Did you bareroot or leave as much of the root ball intact? Soil mix?
I would wait for at least a year before any more insults. They are pretty hardy if you don't try to do too much all at once.
Look at @Vance Wood tutorial for mugos. Pretty much tells you all you need to know.

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Matt,
Nice finds!! Have you cleaned them up already or are they as found? Did you bareroot or leave as much of the root ball intact? Soil mix?
I would wait for at least a year before any more insults. They are pretty hardy if you don't try to do too much all at once.
Look at @Vance Wood tutorial for mugos. Pretty much tells you all you need to know.
i did alittle trimming and cleaning but not much and all i did was take some of the top soil off and tickle the bottom roots out i didnt much root pruning at all. as for soil i just got a decent soil and added alot of perlite so it has good drainage

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Question is it true you only want one to two new candles and to trim the rest in a section?

In your instance I would say no.

First because you can use the health for the repot.

Second because those areas, so far out, are never going to be used for your final design, it doesn't matter what they look like.

Spare where you may be continuing a trunkline, that can be narrowed down, but that also won't bulge in a year anyway, so you have time to think.

Sorce

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
In your instance I would say no.

First because you can use the health for the repot.

Second because those areas, so far out, are never going to be used for your final design, it doesn't matter what they look like.

Spare where you may be continuing a trunkline, that can be narrowed down, but that also won't bulge in a year anyway, so you have time to think.

Sorce
Thank you Source , i always admire your input and your trees. appreciate you taking the time to read this and answer my question

Top Bottom