Well my fall is ruined

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
So my pear tree suffered a spray burn. It should be fine but the fall colors are not going to be there this year which sucks. It is putting new growth, but that'll only have time to put maybe one set of leaves before it gets to cold. I have no idea how this happened but I'm not happy about it.1012171740b.jpg 1012171740.jpg 1012171740a.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Been there done that... I sprayed my citrus about a month ago and decided to "test" the spray on my bonsai. No one minded it... except my Japanese maples. Oh well - live and learn :)

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That sucks! I've had similar issues with some of my trees. The only thing I can think of is the company that does my lawn fertilizing and weed control is spraying them accidentally. I just don't know.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Did that with my trident last month as a knee jerk reaction to anthracnose and now it is essentially bare. Have been keeping it in full sun since June specifically to get maximum fall coloration.

Sorry about your tree, at least no lasting harm was done.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Been there done that... I sprayed my citrus about a month ago and decided to "test" the spray on my bonsai. No one minded it... except my Japanese maples. Oh well - live and learn :)

In the 15 years I've been doing this, I've never done this, doh

Did that with my trident last month as a knee jerk reaction to anthracnose and now it is essentially bare. Have been keeping it in full sun since June specifically to get maximum fall coloration.

Sorry about your tree, at least no lasting harm was done.

Yeah at least the tree won't have any fungus

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
That sucks! I've had similar issues with some of my trees. The only thing I can think of is the company that does my lawn fertilizing and weed control is spraying them accidentally. I just don't know.

That would suck

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Over spray, spray drift, volitization after spraying due to high temps are all possibilities for this happening.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No big deal. Fall sucks. Less reminder is all too good;).

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Had a last little bit of anti-fungal from my apple trees that I decided to just mix up for one last application on my bonsai. Next day, burn on all the trident maples.... You are in good company.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Had a last little bit of anti-fungal from my apple trees that I decided to just mix up for one last application on my bonsai. Next day, burn on all the trident maples.... You are in good company.

Lol

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So my pear tree suffered a spray burn. It should be fine but the fall colors are not going to be there this year which sucks. It is putting new growth, but that'll only have time to put maybe one set of leaves before it gets to cold.

Wasn't clear to me, what did you spray them with?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A fungicide, sprayed all my trees but I did this one last. I'm thinking it just got a concentrated dose.

I stopped spraying my Fruit trees including Pears for Fungal issues. I water in a Sulfur solution three times a year and they have done very good, even broke a Cedar Rust cycle. I might switch up with a Daconil soil drench next year every other time. One of the reasons I tried a lot of things other then spraying is when I did some damage to my left eye which took over a year to heal, damn wind.
I am not saying I never spray other smaller plants but I find the drench works on many of them too.

Grimmy

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Fwiw, I have had leaves here and there on my palmatums and tridents that clearly had mild fungal issues all season long, and maybe a bit more obvious this mid to late summer, but I stopped spraying back in late August as the last flush of growth was hardening off. I figured that the infected leaves were permanently infected/can't be cured, and would be falling off in 6-8 weeks ( October) regardless of what I'd do- and spraying at this point wouldn't really do anything to prevent future problems. Cleaning the soil of any fallen leaves and applying a dormant spray like lime sulfur before putting them away for winter could certainly reduce the potential exposure to the spores as the tree breaks dormancy next spring.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I stopped spraying my Fruit trees including Pears for Fungal issues. I water in a Sulfur solution three times a year and they have done very good, even broke a Cedar Rust cycle. I might switch up with a Daconil soil drench next year every other time. One of the reasons I tried a lot of things other then spraying is when I did some damage to my left eye which took over a year to heal, damn wind.
I am not saying I never spray other smaller plants but I find the drench works on many of them too.

Grimmy

I do that as well, this is just part of my fall maintenance and never had had a problems before.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Fwiw, I have had leaves here and there on my palmatums and tridents that clearly had mild fungal issues all season long, and maybe a bit more obvious this mid to late summer, but I stopped spraying back in late August as the last flush of growth was hardening off. I figured that the infected leaves were permanently infected/can't be cured, and would be falling off in 6-8 weeks ( October) regardless of what I'd do- and spraying at this point wouldn't really do anything to prevent future problems. Cleaning the soil of any fallen leaves and applying a dormant spray like lime sulfur before putting them away for winter could certainly reduce the potential exposure to the spores as the tree breaks dormancy next spring.

Just part of my preventive maintenance cycle but this time the tree didn't like it

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I do that as well, this is just part of my fall maintenance and never had had a problems before.

I forgot to mention that I have two Pear trees. One of them changed color and dropped all leaf several days ago. The other is still green except several leafs in the center upright portion of the tree and they are crisp like yours. Neither have been sprayed and are not in areas they could be... I look at it as shitty weather patterns is all...

Grimmy

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My acer ginalla has some fungal issues too i misted the tree to much i guess so no nice red fall color sadly

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wonder if its weather related...one of my plums did this last week out of no where about half the leaves turned dark brown not crispy but fell off at the touch of my hand. We have had some pretty cold nights for this time of year. Looked exactly like the picture of you pear.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well now I'm going to have to go look at my trees that I have not seen in a few days (long work days) as I sprayed them for a last time on Monday... Sorry for your pear, but at least you're not going to loose it. I don't think fall color around my area will be very good, the weather was too dry for too long late summer.

Top Bottom