Well, the Scots Pine didn't make it.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
CLIMATE IS EVERYTHING !!!

Tragic outcome. It endured my blasting summers for years.
But........after heroic efforts to save it from last year's oven, it still went. 😭
Tried draping wet towels, shading it but too late. Had I any damn sense, I should have moved it WAY into shade. But it had endured so long I thought it would maybe revive.
Even buried the pot in futile effort.

But...nope!

Even had trouble getting out of the pot this week. Duh. I had it wired in. 🤪

Rest in peace, ole pal.

Scots pine 5-20-20.JPG

deadpine.JPG

CLIMATE IS EVERYTHING !!!

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Sorry the loss Mike! I am in the valley of San Bernardino which gets insane heat sometimes as well. I have high sierra lodge pole pines out of their comfort zone and every year I am on edge to see if they will make it through another so cal summer! On a good note, my lodge pole that I collected in 2016 is still alive, fingers crossed it is settled in now and it will be okay going forward.

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Sorry on the loss Mike.

This is one concern I have with where we live. Our summers can be brutal here in Sacramento and I started all this late into the summer so I haven't had to deal with it yet.

I'm just glad my backyard gets a lot of shade in the summer.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A sad loss. A good tree that seemed as if on a high mountain home:(.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Such a terrible shame, RIP beautiful tree.
Sorry for the loss.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
should have moved it WAY into shade

gets a lot of shade

Shade seems a dangerous bandaid. If not dangerous, fruitless for bonsai.

The math in my head says the shade doesn't change the heat or drying air enough to make it worth it, especially when you are then removing
some energy, some food.

I reckon preventing a hot pot BEFORE it does damage is an easier more fruitful cure.

Not, "oh you hot?, Here starve too!".

Sorce

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Shade seems a dangerous bandaid. If not dangerous, fruitless for bonsai.

The math in my head says the shade doesn't change the heat or drying air enough to make it worth it, especially when you are then removing
some energy, some food.

I reckon preventing a hot pot BEFORE it does damage is an easier more fruitful cure.

Not, "oh you hot?, Here starve too!".

Sorce
At 109, it should .....help....for a day or two.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At 109, it should .....help....for a day or two.

I don't even use AC but at 109F I'd be inside with the AC on hoping my sprinkler system doesn't clog!

I think moving them, in any situation, is more dangerous then leaving them alone. I see moving trees like moving animals in the zoo to a different exhibit not meant for them. They stress.

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't even use AC but at 109F I'd be inside with the AC on hoping my sprinkler system doesn't clog!

I think moving them, in any situation, is more dangerous then leaving them alone. I see moving trees like moving animals in the zoo to a different exhibit not meant for them. They stress.

Sorce
I used to move my maple to shade during the heat of summer for a few weeks...we have hardscape and it attracts heat. But I did something different last year. I raised it up on a pillar than it sitting directly on the stone wall.. And it stayed there the entire time without leaf burn. I tend to do top dressing to pots to help them combat the heat and moisture loss as quickly. But having a tree in the wrong zone...is a hardship battle of trying to keep it happy...or even healthy.
result_1605025779355.jpg

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Bummer! That was a nice tree. I'm hoping that now that I'm retired and can monitor my trees during the day I won't have as many depressing summer losses.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Bummer! That was a nice tree. I'm hoping that now that I'm retired and can monitor my trees during the day I won't have as many depressing summer losses.
Can't imagine summer losses. I had one loss last year. My fault...moved a tree with powdery mildew from my collection to treat. Had it to close to the feeding station for the critters. Something chewed its exposed roots.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Too bad the OP didn't have the tree in a deeper pot with an organic media that would conserve water. Shutting off air circulation and sunlight under a drape is also unproductive. The answer to high heat and evaporation is adequate water to supply as much transpiration as is going to occur. If that means watering two or three times a day, so be it.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Too bad the OP didn't have the tree in a deeper pot with an organic media that would conserve water. Shutting off air circulation and sunlight under a drape is also unproductive. The answer to high heat and evaporation is adequate water to supply as much transpiration as is going to occur. If that means watering two or three times a day, so be it.
The ....drape.... was only over the pot and soil.
I nursed this tree through more shit than is imaginable. Made it 20+ years.
THINKING it could take a day as hot as the killer day was a mistake.

I would never have bought a SCOTS pine at all had I known anything at the time.
It was just a neat pine tree and a yard decorator in the beginning.

P1030011.JPG

At the time, I didn't know there was anything other than "PINE" trees.

Ignorance is bliss ..... for a while.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hindsight is 20/20 vision.
I wish I had offered to buy this tree from you a while ago when I realized your climate wasnt the best for it
However you probably wouldnt have accepted such an offer so it might not have helped much anyway.

I know the loss stings but be more cognizant of your weather as you buy trees in the future.

Top Bottom