Went a little crazy at the nursery today...

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
I haven't been out buying trees in a while, and I went a bit overboard this afternoon...
These are mostly shohin, with species like korean hornbeam (tall one), liquidambars, dwarf pomegranates, trident maple, and the big fat one is a kind of maple I haven't seen before (acer morrisonense) at least that's what's on the tag. I only spent $300 though ;) I have a lot of re-potting to do...

I don't remember if I have ever written up Lone Pine Gardens before, but they are my favorite nursery; http://www.lonepinegardens.com/ Super pleasant people to deal with, and they have been growing stock specifically for bonsai since the eighties.

Attachments

• DSCF2281.jpg
    DSCF2281.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 340

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice haul! Let us know what that maple variety is, I'm always interested in odd, and rare stuff...

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For $300 that is an awesome bunch of trees.

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I haven't been out buying trees in a while, and I went a bit overboard this afternoon...
These are mostly shohin, with species like korean hornbeam (tall one), liquidambars, dwarf pomegranates, trident maple, and the big fat one is a kind of maple I haven't seen before (acer morrisonense) at least that's what's on the tag. I only spent $300 though ;) I have a lot of re-potting to do...

I don't remember if I have ever written up Lone Pine Gardens before, but they are my favorite nursery; http://www.lonepinegardens.com/ Super pleasant people to deal with, and they have been growing stock specifically for bonsai since the eighties.

Please post a picture of the leaves on that maple, I to like the odd tree types.
I didn't see much to say over board hehehehehe :rolleyes:
Just kidding nice selection Brian.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Haha, thanks guys! Most of these trees will be sold to raise money for the GSBF Auction at the end of February. And by that I mean I need money to spend at the auction... I'll be keeping a few of the shohin ones though, like the little pomegranate and one of the liquidambars. I'll post more pics when I have them all potted up this weekend!

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A couple of my favorite nurseries have gone out of business. I'm going to try my best to visit this one in the summer.Thanks for posting. I fell in love with a couple of your purchases.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Even if you live HOURS away, it is still worth it if you want some serious material. If you make the drive up this far, you may even want to visit Jim Gremel's place. You could get some sweet namban pots, stock up on wire and soil, and if you're rich you could even buy a tree ;) If I have time I would be happy to drive you up there, as it is difficult to find.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Even if you live HOURS away, it is still worth it if you want some serious material. If you make the drive up this far, you may even want to visit Jim Gremel's place. You could get some sweet namban pots, stock up on wire and soil, and if you're rich you could even buy a tree ;) If I have time I would be happy to drive you up there, as it is difficult to find.

Thanks for the offer to show me around, Brian; that would be great (plus, I'd love to see your collection, too). I may take you up on your offer this summer once I move back to my summer lodging in Yosemite.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Haha, thanks, but my collection isn't very impressive. I just have a few show trees and lots of works in progress. Most of the other members (of REBS) have dozens of very nice show trees. I'm just too young and poor at the moment to have such a collection. But yes, I would be happy to show you Jim's place, and summer is the better time for me as I will be on break from nursing school.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
There was interest in seeing the hornbeam a little closer. So here it is...

Attachments

• DSCF2284.JPG
    DSCF2284.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCF2285.JPG
    DSCF2285.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCF2286.JPG
    DSCF2286.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF2287.JPG
    DSCF2287.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF2288.jpg
    DSCF2288.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 78

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is the liquidambar the American sweetgum (L. styraciflua)? I'd like to see a photo of that tree (or trees).

Chris

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
I got ya Dario, it was just easier to post pics than to email them...

Yes, liquidambar is american sweetgum. I have two shohin ones in this lot which will be all potted up tomorrow.

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice looking trees and for under 300 seems like a bargain, well bought.
My bank account (and wife) are thankful I don't have a bonsai nursery with in a thousand miles, and I cant ship tress from the States. Always jealous to see the purchases and stock available.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Good stuff with good prices. Nice to see good bonsai nurseries with good reputations selling reputable material.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A

Wonderfull place! I was there from the beginning. REBS and Imazumi sensei. Rich times. Fond memories.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am a bit jelly - we have nothing around here except 1 local "prominent" Bonsai place and at best our experience there left much to be desired. So much in fact we will not return. Everyplace else is hours away *sigh*.

Top Bottom