Went nuts at the REBS Show.

M.B.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last weekend the Redwood Empire Bonsai Society held a wonderful show in Santa Rosa, California. If you have never gone to this show, it is one of the best in Northern CA. Great vendors, great club stock for sale (thier culls are usually way better than I've got at home), and of course an awesome show. Usually held the last weekend in August which is nice because there isn't a lot of bonsai activity that time of year. I always come home with some great plants and this year was probably the best. I lost control as soon as I hit the door. One of my local club members saw me at the show, carrying a tree out to the car. Saw me a little while later and asked if I'd bought any more trees in the last ten minutes. Yes, I had......
So first I present my purchases. They all need branch development, repotting, ect. but that's why they were such great deals.

Attachments

• J. Maple from REBS Show.jpg
    J. Maple from REBS Show.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 125
  • Trident from REBS show.jpg
    Trident from REBS show.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 131
  • H. Elm and K. Boxwood REBS Show.jpg
    H. Elm and K. Boxwood REBS Show.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 111

M.B.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And now for some show trees.......sorry I'm not a very good photographer.
Mary B.

Attachments

• Juniper Cascade REBS Show 2008.jpg
    Juniper Cascade REBS Show 2008.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 55
  • Bald Cyprus REBS Show 2008.jpg
    Bald Cyprus REBS Show 2008.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Giant Slab planting REBS Show.jpg
    Giant Slab planting REBS Show.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Redwood REBS Show 2008.jpg
    Redwood REBS Show 2008.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 90

M.B.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A few more...

Attachments

• Group REBS Show 2008.jpg
    Group REBS Show 2008.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Shohin Juniper REBS Show.jpg
    Shohin Juniper REBS Show.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Pine REBS Show 2008.jpg
    Pine REBS Show 2008.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 48

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like you bought yourself a lot of potential! Thanks for posting the trees in the show. Were either of the redwoods trees phoenix grafted?

M.B.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think they were tanuki but couldn't really see the back. The first one was a bald cypress. I think I remember reading a sign that the second (redwood) was from the State Collection North in Berkley.
Here's a few more.

Attachments

• Bougie REBS show.jpg
    Bougie REBS show.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Ceder Cascade REBS.jpg
    Ceder Cascade REBS.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Literati REBS show 2008.jpg
    Literati REBS show 2008.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 52
  • REBS Show 2008.jpg
    REBS Show 2008.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 38

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Looks like you bought yourself a lot of potential! Thanks for posting the trees in the show. Were either of the redwoods trees phoenix grafted?

Nope, those are the real thing!

Thanks for posting MB, some very good trees in the show and you also didn't do too bad yourself ;)

Jason

rajputana

Seedling
Reaction score
Last weekend the Redwood Empire Bonsai Society held a wonderful show in Santa Rosa, California. If you have never gone to this show, it is one of the best in Northern CA. Great vendors, great club stock for sale (thier culls are usually way better than I've got at home), and of course an awesome show. Usually held the last weekend in August which is nice because there isn't a lot of bonsai activity that time of year. I always come home with some great plants and this year was probably the best. I lost control as soon as I hit the door. One of my local club members saw me at the show, carrying a tree out to the car. Saw me a little while later and asked if I'd bought any more trees in the last ten minutes. Yes, I had......
So first I present my purchases. They all need branch development, repotting, ect. but that's why they were such great deals.

Hi Nice pics and interesting question.

Gardener

Seedling
Reaction score
I've been to the Philadelphia Flower show, they usually hold that in early spring. I went there last year as a business experience and to my amazement they had a bonsai section...I ditched my boss for a while to bask in the zenfullness. I learned a lot from talking to the students who grew some of these trees. I just thought I'd mention it for people on the Northern East coast.

Sorry I didn't take any pics (I forgot my camera that day.

Top Bottom