Went on a little shopping trip today [embedded images]

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My wife Victrinia and I went on a short shopping trip today with some bonsai friends of ours...

This is what we came home with:

TheBooty.jpg

JBPDewire2011.jpg

JBPDewire2011_b.jpg

DewireMughoBefore.jpg

There is also the small white pine but thats another story :p

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
the first is Kyokko and the second is Ondae ... both are grafted (obviously) :) :) they cork up real fast and are still strong growers... interestingly the droop in the Ondae branches is 100% natural...

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It was great seeing another Ondae. Mine has the same little arching branches.

Kirk

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I love cork bark black pines - I'll have to post some bark photos on another thread :) I like them both, but I really like the plating on the Kyokko.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It was great seeing another Ondae. Kirk

+1 on that! Good scores, looking forward to seeing them develop over time. The Ondae barks up FAST, noticeable improvement each season, but mine has been frustrating to work with. However my Kyokko has been easy like Sunday morning...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do they have an envy icon here??? (nope, just checked..) Nice Green Friday haul! Can we see the white pine please?

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love those corkers. I have a couple of Ondae, and it's interesting to know that that arch in the branch is natural.

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The Ondae barks up FAST, noticeable improvement each season, but mine has been frustrating to work with. -Brian

Ryan Neil took a look at my 'Ondae' just last week. A couple of pointers he left me with were: 1. It is a bit weaker as a cultivar of JBP, so go easy on major branch removal. Take it a little slower, i.e. large sacrifice branches. (I knew this one) 2. Wire movement in as early as possible. Otherwise, you need to remove the corking in order to set the branches properly. The corking bark will crack (unattractively) or bind if its too thick. (Common sense but I hadn't considered it)

Kirk

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The Ondae barks up FAST, noticeable improvement each season, but mine has been frustrating to work with. -Brian

Ryan Neil took a look at my 'Ondae' just last week. A couple of pointers he left me with were: 1. It is a bit weaker as a cultivar of JBP, so go easy on major branch removal. Take it a little slower, i.e. large sacrifice branches. (I knew this one) 2. Wire movement in as early as possible. Otherwise, you need to remove the corking in order to set the branches properly. The corking bark will crack (unattractively) or bind if its too thick. (Common sense but I hadn't considered it)

Kirk

Great info, thanks for sharing. Any and all tips on corkers from experience are appreciated. We need to start a thread for corker photos. My Ondae is pretty strong relative to the 6 cultivars I have going, behind Brocade, and then followed by Kyokko, Taihei, Hachi Gen, and Aka-me(?).

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Wire movement in as early as possible. Otherwise, you need to remove the corking in order to set the branches properly.

Thanks Kirk! Every now and then I kick myself when I don't think of something so basic. I had never thought about removing bark in order to wire a bad branch.

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dumb question, but are those both cork-bark JBP? I'm looking forward to seeing your JWP too!

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dumb question, but are those both cork-bark JBP? I'm looking forward to seeing your JWP too!

Yes they are both cork bark JBP .....

as to the JWP... well that is my wife's very special little tree... she'll post pics soon enough :)

wlambeth

Mame
Reaction score
These are beautiful.
Do you mind if I ask the name of the nursery?

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dang I thought we mentioned it ..... its Wabi-Sabi bonsai nursery .... Dave DeWire's place

Top Bottom