Went Rogue & It Worked!

Bittenfox

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have failed three times at growing bonsai from seed/grow kits. I am totally new to bonsai except for my umbrella bonsai. I have leftover seeds, so with some from each type of tree, I did what i wanted. Tossed half of ALL varieties in my biggest steel box that came with my Dawn Redwood kit, layered the three different bonsai soils that came with various kits (topped with one kind from my local greenhouse), and just went all willy-nilly. Guess what? I have FOUR seedlings that have popped up and it hasn’t even been two weeks! Yaaaasssss! Hopefully more of the varieties will start popping up also! X your fingers for me! (nope, no idea which varieties are planted where...figure the surprises will keep coming!)2DE61A09-874C-4EC8-B731-C039D399FA4C.jpeg2DE61A09-874C-4EC8-B731-C039D399FA4C.jpeg

Bittenfox

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
just the top layer is the coarse. believe it or not, my umbrella “tree” is planted in 100% of this stuff. it drains really well, and retains just enough moisture. This coarse stuff also allows me to water the whole box without packing the soil too hard for seedlings to sprout through, and it stays put.

ps: I have a 5th seedling coming through! I think this one is of a different variety.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well congratulation on getting 5 seedlings of 2 different species to germinate.

It is going to be a bit tricky with winter just around the corner for you though!

Bittenfox

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you! I am up to 6 as of this morning. I am looking forward to up to FIVE different species if all of them “decide” to show me some love. My heart is not set in them, as I am aware that I am going completely by instinct and doing things my own way. I keep my humidity in ideal range in winter for my own health. I also keep the same temp in my home year round. With my temp and humidity gauge staying relatively the same theough the seasons, I will cross my fingers the trees appreciate it too. I could end up losing the whole batch. I am not sure how to approach the next round of planting...but it does provide entertainment and inspires creativity.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm with "rogue" for the "screw what humans say do" part.

So excited and happy for you.

But this whole "rogue to defy nature" thing, keeping them inside, I can't get behind.

I want to STAY all excited and happy for the righteous rogueishness.

Nice, Anyway!

Sorce

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

But this whole "rogue to defy nature" thing, keeping them inside, I can't get behind.

Nice, Anyway!

Sorce

My experience is I can often get seedlings through the winter inside without too much issue. At least if I can keep light levels up enough they don't etoliate. Seedlighs generally need less light and are easier to fit under lights so that's not as hard to manage either. It can be almost like a whole extra season of growth if managed correctly :)

I'm sure it can't be done with all species but I've done several species of oak, redwoods, bristlecone pine, several species of maple and some others that way. Plentry of tropicals too...but that's cheating!

I probably do 90% of my plantings in October or November so I have something to watch over the winter :) I've got nothing stratified this year but still planning on chinkapin oak, another round of bristlecone because I have seed left, and some ceiba, maybe a few more baobab, some others maybe if I still have seed that doesn't need stratified.

I don't recommend the practice. It's my flavor of "going rogue". And yeah, other than this long first "season", I'm totally behind sorce and not going rogue against nature. Most of my trees live outside 24/7/365!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
experience is I can often get seedlings through the winter inside without too much issue.

Aren't you the one with the 3 year spruce seedling?
Cheater! Lol!

I guess your right, on the forest floor, the isn't much light.

However, I'm having a hard time calling this revelation a "Sunnyside"!

Sorce

Bittenfox

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My experience is I can often get seedlings through the winter inside without too much issue. At least if I can keep light levels up enough they don't etoliate. Seedlighs generally need less light and are easier to fit under lights so that's not as hard to manage either. It can be almost like a whole extra season of growth if managed correctly :)

I'm sure it can't be done with all species but I've done several species of oak, redwoods, bristlecone pine, several species of maple and some others that way. Plentry of tropicals too...but that's cheating!

I probably do 90% of my plantings in October or November so I have something to watch over the winter :) I've got nothing stratified this year but still planning on chinkapin oak, another round of bristlecone because I have seed left, and some ceiba, maybe a few more baobab, some others maybe if I still have seed that doesn't need stratified.

I don't recommend the practice. It's my flavor of "going rogue". And yeah, other than this long first "season", I'm totally behind sorce and not going rogue against nature. Most of my trees live outside 24/7/365!

Bittenfox

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I live in MN, so my winters are literally wayyy too cold. I have a townhome and there are tons of rabbits outside...lots going against little trees. If i could find a happy wintering spot for my Dawn Redwoods, once big enough, I’d get em outside....but our weather is basically volatile. Any advice from a northerner, and I’d be game. I cannot modify my cement patio, or add too much to it per the rules of townhome. 🤔

Bittenfox

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
MN

Nice, Anyway!

Sorce
winters and strict rules of townhome patio decor where i live make it very difficult to have them outside.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
MN

winters and strict rules of townhome patio decor where i live make it very difficult to have them outside.

MOVE. Much to be said for FREEDOM to use ones yard as desired instead of by rules🤬!

Bittenfox

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
MOVE. Much to be said for FREEDOM to use ones yard as desired instead of by rules🤬!

DUH! I’d be up and out of here if I could. I feel you assume that I am unbound by finances or other factors that would keep me from home ownership. Also, the MN weather still will not be safe for newly sprouted trees. Outside would be stupid on my part. Indoors is the only thing I can do, for now. When I do get some land, I will consider a greenhouse next to a canopy of Dawn Redwoods and Ponderosa Pines....so the mini’s can be by the giants.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
DUH! I’d be up and out of here if I could. I feel you assume that I am unbound by finances or other factors that would keep me from home ownership. Also, the MN weather still will not be safe for newly sprouted trees. Outside would be stupid on my part. Indoors is the only thing I can do, for now. When I do get some land, I will consider a greenhouse next to a canopy of Dawn Redwoods and Ponderosa Pines....so the mini’s can be by the giants.
I’d love a small greenhouse but I too am limited by space and rules. Good luck with the Redwoods, I have some dawn redwood seedlings indoors too at the moment.

Nice to meet another new person.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Do be certain to make either plant tags, or write down someplace where you can find it again the list of species of seeds you planted. Figuring out which seedling is what from a list of 5 names is relatively easy. Figuring out which seedling is which from a potential of 500,000 possible species of plants is next to impossible. You may remember 5 species names for a while, but as we all hit a certain age, our memories fade. Also, the names may not be important to you now, but may become important later. So keep good records.

Plastic plant tags. Write on them with pencil. Pencil fades slowly over time. Magic marker looks great, but has the bad habit of fading suddenly. Pencil scratches the surface of the plastic, which can help when trying to read a faded tag, magic marker when it fades, it leaves nothing, not even scratches to decipher a name from.

Going rogue is fine. Growing indoors is fine. There are many who do under lights growing of bonsai that are normally grown outdoors. Some species submit to all indoor growing better than others. Some simply will not submit. Sub-tropical and tropical species work best for 100% indoor growing. Winter hardy trees, usually have a mandatory required cold rest period to activate new buds for the next year's growth. Some trees just require too high a light level to be happy indoors.

That is a nice window.

Second point, most bonsai hobbyists do not start their bonsai from seed. Raising seed is the nurseryman's phase of bonsai. Growing seedlings for bonsai usually means 3 to 5 years or more before the very first "bonsai technique" is applied. Until then, its all basic horticulture. Most people start with trees that already have the first 5 to 25 years of growing out of the way. That way they can start doing "bonsai things" right away, and don't have to wait for the seedlings to gain enough size. True, all living trees at some point started from seed, so growing from seed is certainly possible, it is just the "long way, or slow train" to get to doing bonsai.

One thread about a fairly sophisticated under lights set up is this thread. Remember that Craig ( Cmeg1 ) is not growing 100% indoors, most of the seedlings get their first winter indoors and then are moved outdoors for the summer and then stay outdoors if they are winter hardy. but equipment and techniques are interesting. Actually he is over the top, but he is raising beautiful trees with his methods.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
One mail order bonsai business that provides modestly priced. Check out Meehan's Miniatures. They have a nice selection of subtropicals and tropicals for indoor bonsai, and often young starter plants where you can get them for less than $20 each. Some are under $10 each.

Top Bottom