Went shopping today

baron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,

So I went shopping with my gf at a local bonsai nursery today and got our selfs three new trees to add to our collection. The abundance of trees was overwelming! After a few hours of walking back and forth I decided on taking home a lovely Acer Palmatum and a Pyracantha. Meanwhile my gf had fallen in love with this little Escallonia. (If anyone has any info or care tips on these, they would be appreciated as I can't seem to find much on the internet?)

The trees all seem to be in very good shape, although I'm a little concerned they all are quite root bound as the roots are growing out of the pots. Is this going to affect the drainage. The soil itself doesn't look all too bad.

I will take better pictures tomorrow, but was just wondering if I should prepare for some emergency/slip potting tomorrow.

IMG_6934.JPG IMG_6936.JPG IMG_6937.JPG

IMG_6939.JPG IMG_6938.JPG

IMG_6940.JPG

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There is nothing wrong with plants being rootbound. You just have to monitor you watering more closely. Most shohin bonsai get rootbound by the middle of summer. I begin soaking my plants in smaller pots weekly in June. If larger plants are very potbound, they can also be soaked every couple of weeks. If soil penetration is a problem, you can use a chopstick to poke several holes in the surface.

baron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You certainly don’t want to repot the Japanese maple. Wrong season.

Timing, is everything.
Was not planning on taking that risk with this one, but wanted confirmation so thnx!

There is nothing wrong with plants being rootbound. You just have to monitor you watering more closely. Most shohin bonsai get rootbound by the middle of summer. I begin soaking my plants in smaller pots weekly in June. If larger plants are very potbound, they can also be soaked every couple of weeks. If soil penetration is a problem, you can use a chopstick to poke several holes in the surface.

Thnx for the advice, guess I'll do that

Pictures as promised :)

IMG_6946.JPG IMG_6948.JPG IMG_6952.JPG IMG_6953.JPG IMG_6955.JPG

IMG_6957.JPG IMG_6959.JPG

IMG_6961.JPG IMG_6963.JPG IMG_6965.JPG

baron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you!

I drenched the pyracantha in a little tub and its giving me a few yellow leaves in return. So I'm guessing it will be fine till next spring :p

For the maple I'm still trying put together a plan so the only thing I'll be doing is put some wire in it to get a few branches abit more down.
I'm quite sure the root work should be done first, but I can't make up my mind if I want to ground layer it and start over completely.
Or try my hand at some root graft's next year.
Also the top could surely use some work.

Top Bottom