West coast Scots pine heads east

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've spent quite a few hours over the years looking for rough bonsai stock for sale on the left coast, but never bought one. It wasn't the prices that stopped me, I decided years ago that I would buy one or two nice trees a year instead of the multiple marginal trees that were a "good deal". Where I stopped was the same point in the sale as all the other times, which was when I got the shipping price. I just couldn't get past spending half the amount I was paying for the tree to have it shipped to the east coast.
A couple of winters ago I was looking for a Scots Pine and stumbled upon some amazing pictures of Scots grown in Oregon by Chris & Lisa Kirk of Telperion Farms.
After some back and forth emails I settled on a tree, and then got the shipping cost of $212.00 which put it very close to half the price of the tree again. Thankfully, Lisa knew that if the tree could fit in a 30"x 30" x 30" box instead of the 32" x 32" x 32" box the shipper quoted the price would drop to $73.28.
So after whacking off the long branch on the left that didn't have any future in the end design, my first west coast tree was on it's way to Connecticut in March of 2010
orig pic.jpg
orig base.jpg

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Colin Lewis likes to wait a year before working on Scots dug from the ground, but Chris said because they were grown in root bags they could be worked on that Spring (they were potted late 2009)
While Chris was right, the tree didn't miss a beat. I didn't get a chance to start work on it until last year with Nick Lenz. I worked on it with Nick again this year and I thinks it's starting to take shape.
front.jpg
base front.jpg
I didn't use a beer can to give it some scale, but the tree is about 8" at the soil line and 18" high

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
Hey!! Where are the current pictures? I want to see how my baby has grown up.
Thanks,
Chris Kirk
Telperion Farms

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Do you have any current pictures of the tree as it is now? How do you treat your scots pine (candles) : like a JBP or a white pine?

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey!! Where are the current pictures? I want to see how my baby has grown up.
Thanks,
Chris Kirk
Telperion Farms

haha sorry it's taken so long Chris.
Cathy Shaner tried a graft early last year on upper chopped trunk and wanted to see it it would take (it didn't) so I made a small jin with it. Nick told me not to bother to cut it flush because as he put it "You won't live long enough to have it heal over"

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you have any current pictures of the tree as it is now? How do you treat your scots pine (candles) : like a JBP or a white pine?

The one in the second post was taken last week. I don't have any JBP on JWP just Scots. I follow Julian Adams regime of candle breaking in the Spring and delaying fertilizer until the first of July

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Great base, nebari, corked bark, and wonderful taper and movement. That is going to be a killer tree!

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys, I think Chris deserves much of the credit and I hope I can keep getting this tree better.
Suthin Sukosolvisit visited our our club to do a critique and I brought it in to show him. He thought it was a great tree, but in his opinion there were a lot of them just like it. He said if the right branch was removed and the foliage above it was brought down it could be a very special tree.
Nick had mentioned maybe removing that branch too if it couldn't be brought down (it's very stiff) I'm leaving it on for now, but it's something to think about

front nb.jpg

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
... He said if the right branch was removed and the foliage above it was brought down it could be a very special tree.
Nick had mentioned maybe removing that branch too if it couldn't be brought down (it's very stiff) I'm leaving it on for now, but it's something to think about

View attachment 28114
Can you post a pic taken slightly (45*) to the right? Just wondering how big the branch is. I bet if you really want to, it can be done. I just bent a 1-1/2" Brazilian Raintree and it is a bear but yielded with proper "encouragement" (and I am a newbie). :D

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Colin Lewis likes to wait a year before working on Scots dug from the ground, but Chris said because they were grown in root bags they could be worked on that Spring (they were potted late 2009)
While Chris was right, the tree didn't miss a beat. I didn't get a chance to start work on it until last year with Nick Lenz. I worked on it with Nick again this year and I thinks it's starting to take shape.
View attachment 28112
View attachment 28113
I didn't use a beer can to give it some scale, but the tree is about 8" at the soil line and 18" high

Really nice tree. I can't wait to see how it progresses.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Great material! Fangthorn...keep us posted.

Chris and Wood...wow, nice job on that sweet nebari and trunk!!!!

Top Bottom