West Coast Storm

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How did everyone fare in the storm out there on the coast? I hope little or no damage, and that you all still have power. Looks like a pretty nasty time.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
We received almost as much rain from this storm as we got all of last year in San Jose. Fortunately no damage, just real soggy still.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Smoke?

The dog?

Attachments

• dsc_00300002.jpg
    dsc_00300002.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 38

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
The wind blew over my shade canopy and knocked over a few trees but no serious damage.

Attachments

• canopy.jpg
    canopy.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 58

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
My yard is sheltered between a tall fence and two buildings. I had placed all the trees on the ground to make sure that if anything blew over that the damage would be minimal.

It wasn't nearly as windy as forecast at least in my location. I didn't have any damage. But, it's been a lot of rain, and more on the way this week so everything is pretty soggy.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Glad to hear that no one was in the hard hit areas. Bad time of year for anything of that magnitude to hit.
Does this even put a dent in filling reservoirs out there?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dog is doing fine.
Rained like Hell but minimal flooding.
Lots of trees around fell over.

Wind was pretty strong. On the west side where all the food is grown and not any trees for windbreak speeds did reach 80 MPH. Not so much in the city.
I did suffer a branch break from something on my maple.

You can see it in the upper right corner.

Attachments

• DSC_000100011.jpg
    DSC_000100011.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 53

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe this closeup of the damage will speak for itself.

Attachments

• DSC_000200021.JPG
    DSC_000200021.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 66
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Smoke,
That will be tricky to update your design friends from losing such an important twig.
I am ask curious if that changes anything with the water situation there. I am guessing double nothing is still nothing.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Smoke,
That will be tricky to update your design friends from losing such an important twig.
I am ask curious if that changes anything with the water situation there. I am guessing double nothing is still nothing.

Dealing with Mother Nature about water is one thing....dealing with Politicians about water is the buzz kill.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Glad to hear that no one was in the hard hit areas. Bad time of year for anything of that magnitude to hit.
Does this even put a dent in filling reservoirs out there?
I was able to collect 10 gallons of rain water from the 1st storm and about 5 gallons from the 2nd storm 2 days ago! :)
I can see my pine needle color turns into the dark green after 2 storms. We need lot of rain here.
Oh, I had a chance to test the pH of rain water comparing to the tap water which I'd like to share here.

Tap water pH = 7 (A few years ago, its pH was 8)

Rain water pH = 6.

Bonhe

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was able to collect 10 gallons of rain water from the 1st storm and about 5 gallons from the 2nd storm 2 days ago! :)
What are you collecting rain water with and from that you didn't get far more than that collected? It only takes about 10 minutes of steady rain on my house roof to get my 60 gallon rain barrels filled...

trey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
We need the rain. It started again today. I don't need the wind though. I've had my plants out enough to get water, then they have to go back under the patio. Supposed to keep raining and blowing all week.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What are you collecting rain water with and from that you didn't get far more than that collected? It only takes about 10 minutes of steady rain on my house roof to get my 60 gallon rain barrels filled...

I can not collect the rain water from my gutter! I just let some small containers stay outside as you can see in those pictures. By that, I know how much rain pour down in my area!

Bonhe

Top Bottom