West north carolina people... Advices please

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hey guys I will be moving to waynesville nc next year and I'm trying to figure out what I'll need to do in winter for my bonsai. Mostly elms, jap maple, azaleas. What do y'all do for your trees in the winter? Can I leave the elms and maples out? I know the azaleas will need a cold storage of some sort.

What would y'all suggest?

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Lovely town, but it does get chilly at 2750 feet above sea level. Here's chapter and verse about temperatures in Waynesville. Don't pay too much attention to averages but go to the history of January and February this year. http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/waynesville/north-carolina/united-states/usnc0739

I suspect that all conifers will be fine outside all year. Japanese maples may need winter protection. It depends on the size of pots, etc.

An anchored (wind!) greenhouse would be nice. An unheated garage will be fine for deciduous.

And early welcome to western NC. Maybe I'll see you at the Blue Ridge Bonsai Society meetings (Asheville).

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks jkl! I can't wait to get there. You think I'll have to use a unheated green house for all deciduous trees? Know I need to find a good green house vendor:)

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I pack them in any isolating material which i can get my hands on, but i live in the netherlands.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Lots of g'house vendors up there. Just be sure it is well anchored and supported for the nasty winter winds whistling thru the mountains.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I make shelters by placing plastic tarps on picnic tables, easy and cheap.. Open it up on a warm day

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
What's the USDA zone up there? Living in zone 6 MA, I would keep some potted maples mulched up against the north side of my home's foundation. They did have some larger shrubs and trees that acted as a wind break...did just fine. I kept others mulched on the floor of my unattached garage, too...they did fine as well, but were more likely to have mice/vole damage.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Welcome to NC. You are about 1/2 hour from Asheville. Go up to the Arboretum and look at the bonsai display and talk with Arthur. Also there are two shows in the fall that are well worth attending, and the cost is marginal (unless you need a hotel in Asheville). They are in Oct and Dec. In Oct get over to Asheville and the Bonsai Expo and in December down to Kannapolis for the Winter Bonsai Silhouette Expo.

When you get cold, and you will, come on down to the low country and beach and warm up.

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to NC. You are about 1/2 hour from Asheville. Go up to the Arboretum and look at the bonsai display and talk with Arthur. Also there are two shows in the fall that are well worth attending, and the cost is marginal (unless you need a hotel in Asheville). They are in Oct and Dec. In Oct get over to Asheville and the Bonsai Expo and in December down to Kannapolis for the Winter Bonsai Silhouette Expo.

When you get cold, and you will, come on down to the low country and beach and warm up.
I love the arboretum! I'm hoping to make this years show. I haven't been able to make a silhouette show. I can't wait for this move!

Top Bottom