jwoodjr5

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Posted a prior thread here on a Honey Mesquite I purchased a few weeks ago at a nursery. I've been thinking about the other one just about every day since, so I bit the bullet yesterday and acquired this beauty:

PXL_20230504_224441619.PORTRAIT.jpg

The tree has about a 3" base.
Thoughts:

- Beautiful movement. The trunk has that low curve and the bark has some slight corkscrew movement to break up the monotony of the straight portion.

- I was hesitant on that straight trunk a few weeks ago. After having the the opportunity to observe the tree yesterday, I am no longer opposed to it and in fact feel it's an integral component to any design composition going forward.

The straight trunk is interesting and immediately draws the viewer toward the tree, whether or not the viewer likes it.

- The tree has TONS of styling options. In my studies of the growth patterns of mesquite in the Arizona and California desert, this tree would not feel out of place if I were taken out of the pot and planted back into the desert. This is a good sign as I tend to shy away from more rigid compositions.

- Here is one idea I have for the final design. I really want to explore fire with this. I want to go into those white portions and take a blowtorch to it. This will give explanation and reasoning for that straight trunk and will also look very natural for this species of tree.

PXL_20230504_224441619.PORTRAIT~9.jpg

I'll keep posting updates and going forward will combine both trees into one thread.

I've become a huge fan of desert species and those commonly found in the American Southwest. Going forward I'm real excited to continue pursuing that look into my designs.

Top Bottom