Western Juniper Creation Pruning

Swill

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had this juniper growing on my back patio for about three years now and would like to bonsai it. I've never really done something on this scale before and wouldn't mind any and all advice. Should I top it and choose some branches all at once at the beginning of spring and then the next year start working on the roots and putting it in smaller containers? I'm not really in a rush but I don't want to waste time either.

Click pics for larger image.

Swill

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I chopped it back last fall and now it is waking up a bit this spring.

KqI1xuvl.jpg

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
You removed so much foliage that this tree will be struggling to survive. I think your plan now should be to just feed it and water it for a couple of years until it recovers.
It does have a nice trunk shape once you get to that point. I'd say any further styling is 2 to 5 years down the road.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Paul gave you some good advice. That was far too much work to do to a juniper. However, your final image is nice. You will need to wait a minimum of 2 years before you can do anything to this tree. Seeing as how you did this much work last Fall, did you offer a bit more winter protection last winter than you normally would?

Rob

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Unfortunately, as they have already said that is too much cut back at once.

Conifers get their energy from their foliage. They need newer needles or newer foliage to stay really healthy(the newer the foliage the closer it is to the tips at the end of the branch). Too often in the U.S. we cut off new growth and keep old needles/foliage which weakens our trees. Next time you will want to cut a tree like this back over a few seasons. You should remove log leggy branches, but leave a stub to turn into Jin. You'll want to slowly remove smaller branches that won't fit your design and replace the leggy branches with younger/less leggy branches to start creating branches and branch structure. You can also remove growth that’s hanging downward and in the areas where there are a cluster of brand new juvenile shoots. Keep a couple juvenile shoots in these areas if you are planning to have a new branch there in the future.

The good news is he Western junipers in Idaho are extremely tuff, in fact I think they are the hardiest and stickiest native junipers we have in the U.S. Good luck with it!

Swill

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was always planning on just feeding and letting it recover for the next couple of years. Unfortunately, I didn't give it any additional winter protection. Most of that growth is very new being from last year and some of it has popped this spring.

Thanks for the advice every one.

Swill

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had planned on leaving it for a couple years but I got some help with the repot and it seemed at the time the best plan was to get it out of the clay and to start developing some roots on the side where there are nearly none. It wasn't completely bare rooted and the lump in the middle is mostly clay that will need to be cleaned out on the next repotting. The added substrate is pure pumice with a top layer of orchid moss and chopped local moss.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
That's great news that is survived such a major cut back. Are there no roots on the left side? Maybe a bigger pot where you could have room on all sides might have been better. Good luck, it is a nice tree.

Rob

Swill

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are a few small roots. The plant is angled in such a way that they have some room to grow.

Top Bottom