Western White Pine....from seed?

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So I got 30 seeds from an Amerikern pal. Any tips in germination or care? Pruning pinching etc?

Attachments

• 20180313_205940.jpg
    20180313_205940.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 13

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What is a WWP?

Edit:
Monticola??
Western white pine (Pinus monticola) also called silver pine,[2] and California mountain pine,[2] in the family Pinaceae, is a species of pine that occurs in the mountains of the western United States and Canada, specifically the Sierra Nevada, the Cascade Range, the Coast Range, and the northern Rocky Mountains. The tree extends down to sea level in many areas, particularly in Oregon and Washington. It is the state tree of Idaho, and is sometimes known as the Idaho pine.[

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Western white pine (Pinus monticola) also called silver pine,[2] and California mountain pine,[2] in the family Pinaceae, is a species of pine that occurs in the mountains of the western United States and Canada, specifically the Sierra Nevada, the Cascade Range, the Coast Range, and the northern Rocky Mountains. The tree extends down to sea level in many areas, particularly in Oregon and Washington. It is the state tree of Idaho, and is sometimes known as the Idaho pine.[
Sounds interesting!
Never heard of it over here on the Atlantic coast.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1521002800857.png
Western white pine (Pinus monticola) is a large tree, regularly growing to 30–50 metres (98–164 ft) and exceptionally up to 70 metres (230 ft) tall. It is a member of the white pine group, Pinus subgenus Strobus, and like all members of that group, the leaves ('needles') are in fascicles (bundles) of five, with a deciduous sheath. The needles are finely serrated, and 5–13 cm (2–5 in) long. The cones are long and slender, 12–32 cm (4 3⁄4–12 1⁄2 in) long and 3–4 cm (1 1⁄4–1 1⁄2 in) broad (closed), opening to 5–8 cm (2–3 1⁄4 in) broad; the scales are thin and flexible. The seeds are small, 4–7 mm (3⁄16–1⁄4 in) long, and have a long slender wing 15–22 mm (9⁄16–7⁄8 in) long.

It is related to the Eastern white pine (Pinus strobus), differing from it in having larger cones, slightly longer-lasting leaves (2–3 years, rather than 1.5–2 years) with more prominent stomatal bands, and a somewhat denser and narrower habit. The branches are borne in regular whorls, produced at the rate of one a year; this is pronounced in narrow, stand-grown trees, while open specimens may have a more rounded form with wide-reaching limbs. It is widely grown as an ornamental tree, but has been heavily logged throughout much of its range in the past.;)

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
View attachment 181555
Western white pine (Pinus monticola) is a large tree, regularly growing to 30–50 metres (98–164 ft) and exceptionally up to 70 metres (230 ft) tall. It is a member of the white pine group, Pinus subgenus Strobus, and like all members of that group, the leaves ('needles') are in fascicles (bundles) of five, with a deciduous sheath. The needles are finely serrated, and 5–13 cm (2–5 in) long. The cones are long and slender, 12–32 cm (4 3⁄4–12 1⁄2 in) long and 3–4 cm (1 1⁄4–1 1⁄2 in) broad (closed), opening to 5–8 cm (2–3 1⁄4 in) broad; the scales are thin and flexible. The seeds are small, 4–7 mm (3⁄16–1⁄4 in) long, and have a long slender wing 15–22 mm (9⁄16–7⁄8 in) long.

It is related to the Eastern white pine (Pinus strobus), differing from it in having larger cones, slightly longer-lasting leaves (2–3 years, rather than 1.5–2 years) with more prominent stomatal bands, and a somewhat denser and narrower habit. The branches are borne in regular whorls, produced at the rate of one a year; this is pronounced in narrow, stand-grown trees, while open specimens may have a more rounded form with wide-reaching limbs. It is widely grown as an ornamental tree, but has been heavily logged throughout much of its range in the past.;)

Thanks. I read that buts its about all that I can get out of the net about these. Will treat the seeds like strobus and then hope for the best. See what can happen in terms of styling......

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I definitely remember seeing one of these used as bonsai somewhere. If I find the picture I'll post on the thread.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I definitely remember seeing one of these used as bonsai somewhere. If I find the picture I'll post on the thread.
And I will be most indebted!!! Thank you!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
First time for everything eh? Now all we have to do is wait a hundred years for me to grow something decent from seed
I was just about to say something like that!

I’m thinking you would be far more successful growing Korean Black Pine from seed. You would have something decent in your lifetime!

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was just about to say something like that!

I’m thinking you would be far more successful growing Korean Black Pine from seed. You would have something decent in your lifetime!
Was actually wondering about that comp too lol

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I have a monticola. Not my first choice for a native pine but my daughter harvested it last summer for me so I feel obligated to try and do something with it.

From what I've read, they don't back bud well but that might work out for me. I'll cut it back soon and if it dies or goes ugly, at least I'll have a excuse for tossing it.

They are pretty though, its one of my favorite pines. If the sun comes out today, I'll get pictures of the pretty needles

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a monticola. Not my first choice for a native pine but my daughter harvested it last summer for me so I feel obligated to try and do something with it.

From what I've read, they don't back bud well but that might work out for me. I'll cut it back soon and if it dies or goes ugly, at least I'll have a excuse for tossing it.

They are pretty though, its one of my favorite pines. If the sun comes out today, I'll get pictures of the pretty needles

Gail as I was reading this thread I thought about how you had mentioned something about this type of pine awhile back. In fact I was in the middle of searching your posts related to this and when I hit "search" it brought up this last post.⬆

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I just wish I had more to contribute then "yeah, I have one and it's still alive"

It's growing in a large nursery pot with a mix of potting soil and Napa dry. It's in full sun and I water once a week or so.
It had few roots but seemed to grow well. I'll have to check the roots soon, see if it's grown more or if it's slowly dieing.

Top Bottom