Wet air layers

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey everyone, I’m having issues with my airlayer layers becoming soaked with rain water. I have holes poked or cut on the bottom for drainage and I thought I secured the top rather well with wire. Greenhouse would be ideal.
What are you all doing to prevent this? Thanks for comments. Mike

Reaction score
What materials are you using to do the air layer? Specifically what is the substrate and what is holding it all together?

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What materials are you using to do the air layer? Specifically what is the substrate and what is holding it all together?
just the basic sphagnum plastic and wire.
Assuming you're using sphagnum, you can just gently squeeze the 'bag'. But it is really nothing to worry about in my experience.
Ok that’s what I’ve been doing. I’ve got a lot riding on layers this year so I don’t want to ruin them.

Reaction score
just the basic sphagnum plastic and wire.

Ok that’s what I’ve been doing. I’ve got a lot riding on layers this year so I don’t want to ruin them.
If you have more than one layer of plastic on it I recommend removing it, sometimes drainage holes can get clogged by too much layering.
Also keep the Sphagnum loosely packed, if it is too dense then it can become heavily waterlogged.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey everyone, I’m having issues with my airlayer layers becoming soaked with rain water. I have holes poked or cut on the bottom for drainage and I thought I secured the top rather well with wire. Greenhouse would be ideal.
What are you all doing to prevent this? Thanks for comments. Mike
I have stopped using open air layers. I have also switched to more porous type media. basically small particle screened pumice with sphagnum moss mixed in. I shredded the sphagnum moss first! A good ratio is one part shredded sphagnum moss to two parts pumice. Soak the shredded pumice and then squeeze to remove excess moisture before adding. I wet the pumice ahead of time but allow it to drain first. colander or piece of screen handy for this. This also prevents having to disturb the roots when severing the air layer. I can just gently place in a pot with my regular bonsai mix, secure and move on after topping up the mix.
With the whole air layer wrapped in plastic it retains moisture very well. I occasionally add moisture with a hypodermic syringe if needed. Note: I also secure the bottom of the wrapped plastic not completely tight so any excess water will run out if I add more by syringe than is needed to wet the media.
The screened small pumice is great for moisture oxygen mix for the roots. The sphagnum has good anti-bacterial properties and aids in moisture retention the reasons why it has been a regular choice for air layers. The problem is it can absorb too much moisture and fill up air spaces required for root health.
* This approach makes a big difference for the more difficult to root species I believe by ensuring a more optimum air/moisture mix. They also tend to dislike disturbance when first transplanting. Ume for example.
Just my 1 1/2 cents.

Top Bottom