Whacky Weather

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Here in South Texas my Peach Trees are Blooming once again!
Chinese Elms just dropped their leaves 2 days ago, Maples are trying to break bud, Pines are not slowing down at all.....So is this what our normal weather pattern will be from now on?
Irene

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My peaches are blooming as well. I just had to move some of my container hibiscus because they were getting leaf fungus from being too wet (in Southern California no less). Otherwise everything else seems ok - maples are dormant and pines are just sitting there. Our biggest "problem" atm is rain, though the hills look a beautiful green and the mountains are all white under heavy snow cover.

They say that even if we get no rain at all the entire month of February, we will still go into March wetter than normal for the season.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Today the wind chill is 11 below, actual temp is 12 above, they are calling for upwards of 12 inches of snow by the end of the week, yesterday it was 40 above with some nice rain.

Michigan...if you don't like the weather, just wait ten minutes.

At least here we can experience all four seasons....sometimes in the same day.

Will

onthefringe

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yesterday here we were at 50 degrees at 3 pm and -1 by this morning. The temps dropped 35 degrees in an hour. I have seen buds that have begun to break dormancy here but not completely opening. If we get a weeks worth of warmer weather with another cold snap there might be caused for concern for my trees.

robert1955

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Today the wind chill is 11 below, actual temp is 12 above, they are calling for upwards of 12 inches of snow by the end of the week, yesterday it was 40 above with some nice rain.

Michigan...if you don't like the weather, just wait ten minutes.

At least here we can experience all four seasons....sometimes in the same day.

Will
SoCal...if you don't like the weather, thats just it, you do like it.

I'm crying 'cause its getting down into the low 40's here. I am still wearing shorts and I keep forgetting it still snows and freezes in the real world. I brought all my tropicals in because it might get down to 38 tonight.

My quinces are blooming as well as the Almond tree. A lot of my Maples and Liquid Ambers, the buds are swelling. In another month I will have to start re-potting the deciduous trees. I re-pot the tropicals this time of the year. I think its a great time to do the Ficus, the Bougies, the Scheffleras. Those plants grow 10 months out of the year.

We are still 10 degrees below normal here and it still is in the low 60's. I don't think I would know how to grow a Bonsai in the cold areas of the world.

Keep warm.
Bob

Top Bottom