What’s eating my Bougainvillea?

Kelsan23

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I’ve frequented the site quite a bit since I got into bonsai back in early December but have never made a post up until now.

I’ve had this bougainvillea, that I bought from Wigerts, several months now and up until now, it’s done fantastic. About a week and a half to two weeks ago I started seeing, what appeared to me as the leaves being eaten. They weren’t falling off or discoloring.

I bought some insect soap to spray down the plant with, thinking some pest was to blame and I did find evidence of aphids, just not an infestation. I’ve also been battling iguanas and curly tail lizards but I’m not sure if they touch bougainvillea.

I figured someone here might be able to give me some better insight.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 5F4DF458-766A-4475-B14F-6421D87AD3C4.jpeg
    5F4DF458-766A-4475-B14F-6421D87AD3C4.jpeg
    272.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 026E524C-653F-42C0-9C71-C8E8B3691CC9.jpeg
    026E524C-653F-42C0-9C71-C8E8B3691CC9.jpeg
    405.2 KB · Views: 42

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Do you have deer? Thats what strip leaves here. If not, then I'd blame the iguanas. Its some kind of large critter eating the leaves.

Kelsan23

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Do you have deer? Thats what strip leaves here. If not, then I'd blame the iguanas. Its some kind of large critter eating the leaves.
We have key deer but I’ve never seen one in this area. I’m constantly running iguanas off.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Maybe try some deer repellent spray if you can find it. I'm not sure it would help against iguanas but I can't imagine any kind of herbivore willing eating that stuff.
Other option is to build a frame and drape some bird netting over all the trees.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I think it is time for an iguana hunt. Exterminate the varmints. I hear they "taste like chicken, only with more bones).

I have a friend who has a deer problem. She keeps most of her bonsai in old bird cages that she finds at garage sales. One or two trees per bird cage. Then the cage is set out in the garden. A strange look, but almost artistic. She spray paints the cages before using them.

Keeping pests out of our trees is always an issue, I have trouble with squirrels, racoons, & feral house cats. 2 dig in the trees, the cats will just lay on trees, breaking branches or knocking them off the bench. Cats will sometimes use my pots as litter pans, especially pots with Turface.

Many do build enclosures for their trees when other methods don't work to get rid of pests.

Kelsan23

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I just picked up some supplies to build something. I’ve been planning a more permanent and better solution to where I keep everything. Whatever the pest is, it only likes the bougainvillea, everything has gone untouched.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So you only post now that you need help? Shame on you ;)

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Plant some hibiscus for the iguanas to distract them from your bougies :cool:

Top Bottom