What’s going on with my maple?

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a small Sharps Pygmy maple my wife picked me up at a nursery. It’s young, only about 1/2” to 3/4” trunk and it’s grafted. It was pretty healthy but root bound. I slip potted it into a fast draining soil, which I believe now was a mistake. The leaves started turning dark green then the tips started drying up and turning black/brown. The new growth is starting to do it as well. I have fertilized (before the changes) with an organic fertilizer. Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks 64EC72D4-DAE1-4D5B-ABC3-4039786FFAC7.jpeg

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
when did you repot it? Do you have it in a shaded area or in full sun?

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I repotted it in May. Slip potted- no root work at all. It gets an hour or two of sun in the morning. That’s it..

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All the leaves are like that...a lot have fallen off. The branches are green a little flexible...not brittle. 9C6A5356-C748-436C-8379-D1F2764B8D37.jpeg

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Given the well drained soil mix and the cirsp looking leaf tips I would suspect not enough water and/or exposure to wind. I have a grove of A. palmatum but lost two back in the late spring. They did just what yours is doing. Mine had been repotted earlier and I left them in the sun and wind a bit too long. Get it into light shade with no wind and check the soil moisture regularly with a chopstick or bamboo skewer. Good luck.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the info. However it's on my porch where it gets very little wind. I was watering it daily...but the soil stayed wet ( according to the chopstick method) and I used my finger on the edge of the pot to check for moisture... it always appeared wet so I backed off the watering a little. It almost seems like sun scorch but it only gets an hour or two of sun in the morning.... frustrating...

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Since it was slip potted,the core could be wet while the outer ,new soil needs water.What was original soil like?Organic?
Organic nursery soil will eventually smother trees.Especially if wet all the time.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It could be suffering from sun reflection. If during the sunny time of the morning the sun is also reflecting off a glass door or white paint, it can greatly increase the heat in the leaves. I have cooked flowers this way.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am beginning to believe that sometimes these trees commit suicide. Right ow I have 15 trident seedlings 1&2 year old. I have a pair of them in a pot together, one is doing fine and the other just wilted and is dying. I am at a loss ot explain that.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am beginning to believe that sometimes these trees commit suicide. Right ow I have 15 trident seedlings 1&2 year old. I have a pair of them in a pot together, one is doing fine and the other just wilted and is dying. I am at a loss ot explain that.
Fratricide :(

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since it was slip potted,the core could be wet while the outer ,new soil needs water.What was original soil like?Organic?
Organic nursery soil will eventually smother trees.Especially if wet all the time.
It was....even after not watering for a couple of days the soil was saturated. When I pulled it out of the pot it was dripping. That’s the only reason I messed with it.

D

Deleted member 21616

i'm no expert, but based on what i learned this week:

on porch w/ little air flow, overly-damp soil = fungus issue?

do you water just the soil or the foliage too?

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I only water the soil. It’s not in the wind but it’s outside, so there’s some airflow. I do believe fungus is a possibility. I have sprayed with daconil twice, but the new growth having it also makes me think it may not be a fungus..

Top Bottom