What’s going on with my maples - brown and dying leaves

ShadyBonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not sure what’s going on with my maples. I got a few new cultivars this year and they all seem to be having the same issue. Theyve got a good amount of leaves turning brown and dying off. Stems and branches seem to be ok and keeping color. All of them are potted and in areas that receive morning sunlight and afternoon shade, except for my purple ghost which gets dappled sunlight most of the day. My older, established maples get more sunlight throughout the day and are all perfectly healthy. None of the maples have started displaying fall colors yet so feels like it’s not just autumn shedding. Seems to have started a couple weeks ago, and we’ve gotten some decent rain for the last week. Any ideas? Internet searching mostly turns up scorch and we just haven’t had enough sun for that. We’ve had some strong wind but it’s coupled with the rain so the leaves are definitely not drying out. 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• 722FB735-DB0D-483A-AC9D-850460FF6AD9.jpeg
    722FB735-DB0D-483A-AC9D-850460FF6AD9.jpeg
    280.7 KB · Views: 34
  • C4746F0A-99FC-45FE-A637-6DE42817DB4D.jpeg
    C4746F0A-99FC-45FE-A637-6DE42817DB4D.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 66902F7E-DFCA-431D-98F3-6061C0F4C4DA.jpeg
    66902F7E-DFCA-431D-98F3-6061C0F4C4DA.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 35

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not sure what’s going on with my maples. I got a few new cultivars this year and they all seem to be having the same issue. Theyve got a good amount of leaves turning brown and dying off. Stems and branches seem to be ok and keeping color. All of them are potted and in areas that receive morning sunlight and afternoon shade, except for my purple ghost which gets dappled sunlight most of the day. My older, established maples get more sunlight throughout the day and are all perfectly healthy. None of the maples have started displaying fall colors yet so feels like it’s not just autumn shedding. Seems to have started a couple weeks ago, and we’ve gotten some decent rain for the last week. Any ideas? Internet searching mostly turns up scorch and we just haven’t had enough sun for that. We’ve had some strong wind but it’s coupled with the rain so the leaves are definitely not drying out. 🤷‍♂️
Scorch is often from wind, higher temperatures and lower than usual humidity in a specific area. Does not need to be excess sunlight. Most of the maples in my bonsai nursery had a more difficult year than usual, even those under shade cloth. Extended periods of wind and heat. Dwarf cultivars were affected more in my location. Although the tree are healthy, the leaves do not look there usual dark green and vibrant fall colours. Except for the Tridents, but they typically can handle hotter stretches than most.
I suspect your summer was similar, the good news is they will look better in the spring. Mostly drying out more than usual is the cause I suspect.

ShadyBonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Scorch is often from wind, higher temperatures and lower than usual humidity in a specific area. Does not need to be excess sunlight. Most of the maples in my bonsai nursery had a more difficult year than usual, even those under shade cloth. Extended periods of wind and heat. Dwarf cultivars were affected more in my location. Although the tree are healthy, the leaves do not look there usual dark green and vibrant fall colours. Except for the Tridents, but they typically can handle hotter stretches than most.
I suspect your summer was similar, the good news is they will look better in the spring. Mostly drying out more than usual is the cause I suspect.
Ah ok that makes more sense, the info is not always clear on those random google search results haha. We had a pretty dry and windy summer in my area, some of these were also shipped so I could see the excessive drying out as a suspect. Thanks for the info

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Most definitely a dry wind for a few hrs can dry out Maple leaves in half a day.
I have to be real careful here in southern CA with out Santa Ana wind phenomena.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Most definitely a dry wind for a few hrs can dry out Maple leaves in half a day.
I have to be real careful here in southern CA with out Santa Ana wind phenomena.
What do you do for that? It's been pretty dry here the last few days. Mist the leaves?

ShadyBonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ha I don’t envy you. I spent some years in Orange County and inevitably the Santa Ana winds ruined our yard on a yearly basis 😅

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What do you do for that? It's been pretty dry here the last few days. Mist the leaves?
The most effective is protection from drying winds if possible. Next best, ensure they stay hydrated and over time modify soil mix to suit climate!
Ie: higher percentage of components that retain moisture, lower percentage of those components that dry out quickly. It can also help to reduce particle size, cover substrate with moss or other materials that slow evaporation from the pot.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
it could also have something to do with all the solar flares we have been having this summer my maples are all purple right now and they are usually orange red this time of year.

Top Bottom