• 30AEBB24-C8BA-4FFF-A323-50036807D817.jpeg
    30AEBB24-C8BA-4FFF-A323-50036807D817.jpeg
    410.6 KB · Views: 51

57vert

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Wondering what the white is on the needles. Just started today.

57vert

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It smells like pine sap. Haven’t trimmed, pinched or anything. Why would this start all the sudden? Big of some sort?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Some leaf miners can dig into young branches. I've had this happen in the past. Look for holes and if you find them, unfortunately, the best course of action is to cut it out. There will be a caterpillar or larva inside.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Some leaf miners can dig into young branches. I've had this happen in the past. Look for holes and if you find them, unfortunately, the best course of action is to cut it out. There will be a caterpillar or larva inside.
There should also be droppings on the outside in the form of pelletized sawdust (sometimes green in young tissue). If it's a larva.
I think they're called either pine tip moth or pine shoot moth, depending on who you ask. To my knowledge they're everywhere on earth as long as there are pines.

However, resin production can be a random thing too. So if there are no droppings or clear signs of bad health in the shoots, it could just be some sap leaks from mechanical/random damage. Don't cut anything off if you're not sure.

57vert

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
There should also be droppings on the outside in the form of pelletized sawdust (sometimes green in young tissue). If it's a larva.
I think they're called either pine tip moth or pine shoot moth, depending on who you ask. To my knowledge they're everywhere on earth as long as there are pines.

However, resin production can be a random thing too. So if there are no droppings or clear signs of bad health in the shoots, it could just be some sap leaks from mechanical/random damage. Don't cut anything off if you're not sure.
Hmmm, no visible holes, no droppings. I am a novice to bonsai and pines. Maybe a random random resin push because it isn’t localized, more through the whole tree.

Attachments

• 6FFC3E9B-32DC-49B7-88A9-D207869A4022.jpeg
    6FFC3E9B-32DC-49B7-88A9-D207869A4022.jpeg
    410.3 KB · Views: 25

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It looks very much pruned in the last picture.
Did you do that?
Since there are so many new shoots everywhere, it might just be the sap pushing through an open wound. It will close by itself if that's the case.

I asked if you did that pruning, because it looks like this years entire shoot has been pruned off. Which is a double flush pine technique - JRP, JBP, Rigida. Now scots can double flush! But on the long run that takes a lot of energy. So it's best not done every year, maybe once every 4 or 6 years at most.
That's just a heads up, a lil warning.
I know some nursery people apply one technique to all trees, which isn't necessarily bad, but it's not always the best either.

57vert

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It looks very much pruned in the last picture.
Did you do that?
Since there are so many new shoots everywhere, it might just be the sap pushing through an open wound. It will close by itself if that's the case.

I asked if you did that pruning, because it looks like this years entire shoot has been pruned off. Which is a double flush pine technique - JRP, JBP, Rigida. Now scots can double flush! But on the long run that takes a lot of energy. So it's best not done every year, maybe once every 4 or 6 years at most.
That's just a heads up, a lil warning.
I know some nursery people apply one technique to all trees, which isn't necessarily bad, but it's not always the best either.
Thank you! It was pruned by the nursery I bought it from. I purchased it about a month ago and they had pruned it “shortly” before that…. Maybe a couple weeks. I see a couple areas branches were trimmed off and they are leaking also.
I wanted to make sure nothing else was going on I’m not aware of.
Thanks for your help!

Top Bottom