What’s wrong with my red dragon jm?

cwallen

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had this tree for about two months and it's been having this issue since I put it in its container. In trying to find a solution, I read that they like acidic soil so I repotted it using, Kellog Garden Organic All Natural potting soil and mixed in a little Dr. Earth Organic Acid Lovers Azalea, Camellia, Rhodendron, and Maple fertilizer. In seeking help from another forum, I was advised that it might be leaf scorch and to move it out of the sunlight completely and see if the problem goes away. If it didn’t they advised to repot it again without the fertilizer. I moved it out of the sun for 2 weeks and the problem has only gotten worse as there’s no new growth and what tries to come out turns black and falls off so I repotted it in just the soil and left it in mostly shade (it gets about 1 hour of early morning sun). It still has the same issue and I’m getting worried that I won’t be able to save it. As for watering, I’ve been waiting until the soil is mostly dry before waterings

Any tips on how I can save this tree?
5A2F41C2-A9AD-40A2-9DBF-3B0C4B3A067C.jpegDBB938F1-C6BA-4CEE-BB39-3424B0F7B2EA.jpegBEAA7DC9-3DE3-4A0B-A09A-8BE01E18E335.jpeg7DBD3B5E-8A07-4312-B0B5-0D4704C5A083.jpegAD0F6662-E15F-40FC-BB26-9AA79DD6DAD5.jpegFD6E3A53-8431-43D1-A79E-486E46C05529.jpeg

cwallen

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Btw the first 3 pics are from the beginning of the problem. The last ones are the tree in its current state.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Before all the attributes we seek for bonsai specimens, we should be concerned with a strength they need to last through our "torture", therefore, everything that is sold with a built in crutch should be wiped clean off the table of consideration.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You have not given any location which makes it so much harder to give good advice. You will see that other members have included a state, town or city in their profile to make it easier for other members to give advice that suits their conditions.
Assuming you are in Northern hemisphere and currently in summer means this tree has been transplanted twice in summer. Even with little or no root pruning that can be stressful for the tree.
You may have just 'slip potted' the tree (slide the root ball out of one pot and into another larger pot then top up with soil. That does not disturb the roots but can cause unforeseen problems because neither water nor roots like to move between 2 different soils. After slip potting we can find that the outer new soil is well watered while the old root ball stays dry because all the roots are taking water but little moves through from the outside.
Japanese maples do not like some climates full stop. See above about the value of disclosing your location.....
Japanese maples are also not the easiest species to begin with. Everybody wants to start at the top but maybe try with something a bit more hardy next time.

The brown edges on older leaves is most likely sunburn from too much sun or not enough water. It only takes a few hours of dry to cause this and is common while newbies get the hang of how much and how often. There are other possible causes but I'd look at sun and water first. Those leaves cannot recover this year. New leaves should be unmarked.
The twisted new growth is different and shows some sort of stress. Nutrient is a possibility, fungal infection is another. Both can be worse as a result of stress mentioned above. I doubt the soil mix or fertilizer would be the cause unless you overdid either. More is not always better. Follow manufacturers' directions for best results.

Most trees are resilient and grow despite what we do to them. There are no factors that immediately jump out in this case. I would provide best conditions I can, continue care and cross fingers. Not every tree survives, even for experienced growers, so you should expect a few deaths along the way. If this is one please chalk it up to experience, learn and move on.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the forum!

Japanese maple leaves do not recover once they're burned or otherwise damaged. They will be replaced by the tree once they're removed either manually via defoliation or when the tree naturally drops them in the fall. Not sure where you live, but if it's in the continental United States, it's really too late in the year to defoliate. Let the leaves fall off on their own.

It could also be a watering problem. JMs (especially lace-leaf cultivars like Red Dragon) need a good amount of water and shade in hotter climates, but don't drown them. Good-draining soil is a must.

Also, get rid of that bamboo stick holding up the tree. As @sorce said, that's a crutch that doesn't do the tree any favors when it'll be used for bonsai. Nurseries stake small trees like that to give them a perfectly straight trunk when they're being sold as landscape material.

cwallen

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to the forum!

Japanese maple leaves do not recover once they're burned or otherwise damaged. They will be replaced by the tree once they're removed either manually via defoliation or when the tree naturally drops them in the fall. Not sure where you live, but if it's in the continental United States, it's really too late in the year to defoliate. Let the leaves fall off on their own.

It could also be a watering problem. JMs (especially lace-leaf cultivars like Red Dragon) need a good amount of water and shade in hotter climates, but don't drown them. Good-draining soil is a must.

Also, get rid of that bamboo stick holding up the tree. As @sorce said, that's a crutch that doesn't do the tree any favors when it'll be used for bonsai. Nurseries stake small trees like that to give them a perfectly straight trunk when they're being sold as landscape material.
Thank you! I live in South Carolina. Since the sun is so hot here, I moved the tree on my front porch where it only gets about 1 hour of early morning sun ar day. As for the soil, do you have any recommendations? As you can probably tell, I'm a novice and don't have any experience mixing my own soil so if there's anything off-the-shelf that you think would work that'd be great. Otherwise, any recipes that you can give for mixing my own would work as well.

Thanks again!

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Buckle up. I just did a MAJOR brain dump of information below. 😆

I just re-read your original post to see if you mentioned the height of this Japanese maple (JM), but noticed something I missed at first. The fact that you've repotted this thing twice already in just two months, during the peak of summer heat, no less, very likely contributed to the leaves curling up. I'm not saying it was the only reason, but it certainly might have contributed. I don't know who else it was you asked for help with this issue, but I'd be shocked if someone on here would tell you to repot the tree in the middle of summer after you literally just repotted it a short time before. Repotting in summer is an ill-advised move, especially with young trees that are extra fragile.

More on repotting, I don't know how much you disturbed the roots during these two repots, if at all. Simply taking a plant out of its pot with the root ball intact and putting the whole thing into a larger pot and adding more soil is called "slip-potting." This usually won't bother a plant, and can be done just about anytime of year since you don't disturb the original roots or soil. Removing lots of dirt and exposing the roots in the summer heat however can seriously stress a tree, especially one that can be finicky like lace-leaf cultivars of JM, which the Red Dragon is a type of. With a few exceptions, deciduous trees like JMs are best repotted in late winter/early spring when they're still mostly dormant, just before the buds on the branches open up and new leaves start growing. Again, this is unless you're simply "slip-potting" the tree. If you're messing with the roots at all, don't do it during hot weather. Thankfully, I would guess you didn't cut down the roots at all during repotting (at least you never mentioned doing a root trim), and you repotted into quality soil.

In the end, there's many factors that could have contributed to your leaves drying out and curling up. It could have been one of the issues already mentioned, or a combination. As far as the fertilizing goes, brand new bags of good potting soil usually have some slow-release fertilizer in them already. Typically enough to feed the plant anywhere from one to three months. The first time you repotted it, you added fertilizer to soil that likely already had fertilizer in it. You also may have added too much fertilizer. Plants can get what is called "fertilizer burn", which is the term for when there's too high a concentration of nitrogen salts (nitrogen salt being an ingredient in most fertilizers) in the soil and it causes the leaves to appear burnt and dried out. Again, I'm not 100% sure this was the cause, but it could have been a factor.

As someone who also lives in zone 8 and owns lace-leaf Japanese maples, I can tell you that you're going to have a hard time keeping that tree in peak health at first. It'll take you some time to learn how much sun the tree can handle, how much water it needs, how much fertilizer to use, etc. I will say that with a few exceptions, lace-leaf JM cultivars are not usually used for bonsai, especially by beginners. They tend to be more "weepy" looking in their overall growth habit, which you don't see much in maple bonsai. JM bonsai trees have horizontal or slightly upright angled branches. Just do a Google image search for "Japanese maple bonsai" and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Anyway, putting the problems aside, let's talk about the future of this particular tree. Considering its young age, you don't need to think about its bonsai future just yet. You have some time for that. For the rest of this year, I would just make sure that you don't cook it in the sun any more, don't add any fertilizer to the soil, and keep it watered, but just moist, not muddy or soaking. Japanese maples also like well-draining soil, which typical potting soil doesn't do very well. Organic potting soil like the stuff you bought holds onto water VERY well. Overwatering plants is just as much a novice mistake as underwatering them, and maybe even more dangerous. Wait for the soil to be almost completely dry throughout the whole pot, then water it really well. You want to see water dripping out the drain holes in the bottom of the pot to know you've moistened all the soil. Then let it almost dry out again and repeat. During summer, watch the water level extra carefully from June through August through. Small pots dry out way faster than large pots, and you may need to water every other morning in the dead heat of summer. You'll learn quickly how long it takes for the soil to dry out.

As far as repotting next spring, it's hard to tell from your pictures, but the tree might need to be put into a slightly larger pot. If it survives the winter, it'll grow well next year as long as you care for it properly. The roots will need space to grow and send more water and nutrients to all those new branches and leaves, which will then help thicken the trunk. While I wouldn't leave a lace-leaf JM in full sun all summer in our growing zone, I wouldn't leave it in full shade either. A few hours of morning sun is good, then let it enjoy shade the rest of the day. You could also keep it under a sun reduction screen like nurseries use, but I don't know how much yard space you have at your place. If you do end up putting it into a larger pot, I recommend a terracotta bulb pot such as this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pennington-8-267-in-W-x-4-25-in-H-Clay/1001005656 This type of pot is wide, but also relatively shallow, which will help you develop a more flattened out root system compared to using a deep nursery pot. As far as the specifics for developing roots, that's a whole other thread, and plenty of those already exist in these forums. Just wait till you learn about flats, pond baskets, grow boxes, floor tiles and plywood squares, etc.

Finally, just remember that at this stage of the tree's bonsai journey, priority one is health, then root base (aka, the "nebari") and trunk size. Like I said earlier, this isn't the best cultivar of JM for you to start with, but one thing that all plants share is the need for good health. After you bring this one back to a good place, you'll be ready to expand your collection of material and really start working on those bonsai skills. If you want to stick with Japanese maples, I recommend the standard, which is simply Acer palmatum with no cultivar name after it. They're usually just called "green" or "red" Japanese maples at nurseries and big-box stores. They're fast growers, and tolerate full sun WAY better than pretty much any lace-leaf cultivar does. You can also look into Trident Maple trees. They're hardier than JMs, and are great for beginners. If you want to try something other than a maple, I can recommend dwarf crape myrtles. They grow like weeds in the Carolinas and are very hardy, fast-growing little trees that already have smaller leaves, which you want in a bonsai. For an evergreen suggestion, junipers are always a good choice. They're available literally anywhere and don't cost a ton of money for the ones you'd find at nurseries or the big-box stores.

Good luck!

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I second everything already mentioned above, the only thing I will add that hasn’t been mentioned yet is to watch out for hot summer winds as that can also scorch JM leaves. Not saying that’s what it is in this case but just a tidbit to watch out for in future.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
As far as repotting next spring, it's hard to tell from your pictures, but the tree might need to be put into a slightly larger pot. If it survives the winter, it'll grow well next year as long as you care for it properly. The roots will need space to grow and send more water and nutrients to all those new branches and leaves, which will then help thicken the trunk.
On the contrary, this looks like the classic beginner mistake of putting it in a pot that is TOO BIG! The roots are dying because the soil never dries out because the pot is too big for the tree.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Looks to me like a combination of root stress and hot wind. Sun may be a contributing factor - to the extent that it is drying the leaves - but this does not appear to be a case of sun scorch directly.

Some great advice already given:
(1) Avoid repotting during the heat of the summer. Make sure you properly repot the entire rootball in the early spring, and avoid slip-potting where you leave a core of old soil and roots in the interior of the root ball. Repot no more often than one per year... and one every two years might be better.
(2) Make sure you use a good soil mix that is mostly inorganic.
(3) Japanese maples are understory trees. They do best in dappled sun. Note that doesn't mean full sun for one hour and then shade for the rest of the day.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I second everything already mentioned above, the only thing I will add that hasn’t been mentioned yet is to watch out for hot summer winds as that can also scorch JM leaves. Not saying that’s what it is in this case but just a tidbit to watch out for in future.
Yes! How could I have forgotten to mention wind?! Not sure where OP is in South Carolina, but if they're near the coast like me, we have almost constant winds here. On the hottest summer days, that can be like holding a hair dryer up to the tree's leaves.

On the contrary, this looks like the classic beginner mistake of putting it in a pot that is TOO BIG! The roots are dying because the soil never dries out because the pot is too big for the tree.
This could very well be true. One reason I recommended the terracotta pot as opposed to another plastic one is that the terracotta will breathe a bit and help the soil to dry out a little faster. Plus, it's very likely shallower than the tree's current nursery pot, also helping the soil to dry faster. Again, tough to tell from OP's photos exactly how big the pot is. In the first couple pics, it looks like they had it in a big black pot, but in the latter ones, it looks like they moved it to a smaller red pot. If whatever it's in right now is too big, it could of course be remedied by using a smaller pot, or by using soil with less water retention than standard "potting mix."

(3) Japanese maples are understory trees. They do best in dappled sun. Note that doesn't mean full sun for one hour and then shade for the rest of the day.
OP, definitely look into a shade cloth for your JMs if you have the space. One that cuts the sun about 30-40% will help a lot. Here's the one I bought. Lots of different sizes available: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00XCBN8JO

Last edited:
Top Bottom