What’s Wrong With My - Ume / Prunus Mume and also Nanking Cherry?

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
Planted these 2 Ume bareroot whips last Feb. Both were trunk-chopped to around 24” (for a smaller garden tree).
The much bigger one (1st pic) is a white ume, and the small one is a pink ume (idk exact variety).
When received in the mail, the white ume had a bigger trunk caliper (around 7/8-1”) and much bigger denser rootball.
The pink ume had a thinner trunk, maybe 3/8-5/8” at most, and a few major/thicker root strands (with feeder roots of course), but not as big as the white ume (it had maybe 1/3-1/2 the rootball mass of the bigger white ume).

My concern is… why is my pink ume so small compared, stopped growing after Spring, and not growing vigorously like the white ume?
The white ume continues to grow big to this day; the pink, stopped growing a couple months ago already.
As you can see from the 1st pic, the white is massive already and continues to grow.

They are both in full sun all day:
The white ume is in my front yard (east side of house), next to a south facing wall.
The pink ume is in the back-yard (west side of house), also next to a south facing wall.
Both next to south facing walls, but since the pink ume is in the west side of house, it gets a little more sunlight.

I’ve read (on Evergreen Gardenworks) that non-white and red varieties are slower growing and not as hardy. Could that be the reason why it is smaller?
Or, is the reason its’ initial trunk caliper and root mass?

I am also concerned of that leaf curl (pictured)… but I’ve read somewhere here that leaf-curl is normal for an Ume and that just indicates blossoms for next year.
I don’t see any insects/pests under the leaves or anywhere. But, the tips are starting to brown.
Also, no leaf-drop at all, so that seems healthy.

Lastly, I am also concerned for this Nanking Cherry.
It’s in a 3gal nursery pot, also located in full all day sun in west side of house (I assume fruits plants like full sun).
It was super healthy and vigorous during spring and early summer. Very lush and green. All of those long branches are new growth from this spring.
But, a lot of the leaf tips/edges are blackening and crisping up as time goes on. There’s also some larger chomping marks on them (caterpillar or grasshopper -like).
I don’t see any small insects/pests under the leaves or anywhere else. Just black leaf tips and edges.
In the center of the plant (last pictures), new lush green growths are appearing again, which look healthy and pest free.
Anyone know what’s wrong with it?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_6539.jpeg
    IMG_6539.jpeg
    357 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_6540.jpeg
    IMG_6540.jpeg
    298.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_6541.jpeg
    IMG_6541.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6542.jpeg
    IMG_6542.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6543.jpeg
    IMG_6543.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6544.jpeg
    IMG_6544.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6545.jpeg
    IMG_6545.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6546.jpeg
    IMG_6546.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 59

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
And, the Nanking Cherry...

Attachments

• IMG_6547.jpeg
    IMG_6547.jpeg
    344.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6548.jpeg
    IMG_6548.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6549.jpeg
    IMG_6549.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6550.jpeg
    IMG_6550.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6551.jpeg
    IMG_6551.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6552.jpeg
    IMG_6552.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6553.jpeg
    IMG_6553.jpeg
    310.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6554.jpeg
    IMG_6554.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6555.jpeg
    IMG_6555.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 42

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ume do that in summer to conserve water. Its normal.
Nanking cherry take time to establish themselves and I agree that looks like sun scorch. It usually happens the first year and you don't see it the secomd year because they put out enough roots in the meantime

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
Ume do that in summer to conserve water. Its normal.
Nanking cherry take time to establish themselves and I agree that looks like sun scorch. It usually happens the first year and you don't see it the secomd year because they put out enough roots in the meantime

Awesome... thanks for the info! Wish it was growing a lot more though (like the bigger white ume in my front yard).

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
So... since i was concerned with my Umes and Nanking... I went ahead and briefly checked all my other plants, under the leaves, etc... and I noticed a few of my plants had problems:

Loquat, 2-3' tall sapling (bought last year as a 6" tall 4" pot sapling)... completely covered in tens of thousands of white'ish-brown'ish-yellowish small insects (I think scale [not the small white kind found on junipers...more ant size in length and bigger], and/or aphids too) and a few ladybugs on them eating them. I don't really care for the plant and it was only a $7 sapling when I bought it last year. And, I freaked out a bit as I've never seen a plant so infested before. So, I chopped it up so it'd fit in a trashbag, stuck it in a trashbag pronto (including soil and pot), and in the trashcan... I was in a panic and instantly thought it's def not worth keeping, trying to save and risking all of my much more valuable and prized plants over it (although mostly just small saplings in development) - J maples, azaleas, umes, persimmon, JBPs, junipers, etc.

I have a couple junipers of diff sizes (San Jose and Sea Green).. but I've always noticed 1 (sea green juniper, air-layer) always had 1 branch that was brown/half-alive for a couple months.. and viola... tiny white specs (scale) on that branch's needles (only one branch). I guess I will feed it some systemic stuff or oil spray it.

Lastly... my 20-30yo jasmine landscape-dig/urban-yamadori has some tiny black specs underneath a very few of its' leaves (but, it is pretty healthy and vigorous.. no brown/spotted leaves at all). Not sure what it is (maybe mites, idk).. but I'll feed it some of that systemic stuff too.

My other J maples, azaleas, other junipers, JBPs and other fruit trees seem fine though... can't find any pests on or under the leaves.

Though... my Golden Full Moon (still in a 6" 1/2gal container, very young sapling) hasn't leafed out yet after a dry-leaf-defoliate a couple weeks ago. It def has plumping buds... but it hasn't leafed out yet...which concerns me a little, as my other J maples I defoliated leafed out quickly afterwards.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So... since i was concerned with my Umes and Nanking... I went ahead and briefly checked all my other plants, under the leaves, etc... and I noticed a few of my plants had problems:

Loquat, 2-3' tall sapling (bought last year as a 6" tall 4" pot sapling)... completely covered in tens of thousands of white'ish-brown'ish-yellowish small insects (I think scale [not the small white kind found on junipers...more ant size in length and bigger], and/or aphids too) and a few ladybugs on them eating them. I don't really care for the plant and it was only a $7 sapling when I bought it last year. And, I freaked out a bit as I've never seen a plant so infested before. So, I chopped it up so it'd fit in a trashbag, stuck it in a trashbag pronto (including soil and pot), and in the trashcan... I was in a panic and instantly thought it's def not worth keeping, trying to save and risking all of my much more valuable and prized plants over it (although mostly just small saplings in development) - J maples, azaleas, umes, persimmon, JBPs, junipers, etc.

I have a couple junipers of diff sizes (San Jose and Sea Green).. but I've always noticed 1 (sea green juniper, air-layer) always had 1 branch that was brown/half-alive for a couple months.. and viola... tiny white specs (scale) on that branch's needles (only one branch). I guess I will feed it some systemic stuff or oil spray it.

Lastly... my 20-30yo jasmine landscape-dig/urban-yamadori has some tiny black specs underneath a very few of its' leaves (but, it is pretty healthy and vigorous.. no brown/spotted leaves at all). Not sure what it is (maybe mites, idk).. but I'll feed it some of that systemic stuff too.

My other J maples, azaleas, other junipers, JBPs and other fruit trees seem fine though... can't find any pests on or under the leaves.

Though... my Golden Full Moon (still in a 6" 1/2gal container, very young sapling) hasn't leafed out yet after a dry-leaf-defoliate a couple weeks ago. It def has plumping buds... but it hasn't leafed out yet...which concerns me a little, as my other J maples I defoliated leafed out quickly afterwards.
Sounds like you need to do some good general pest control

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
Just noticed today my Golden Full Moon maple sapling had 3 or 4 black bumps hidden on it (adult scale), I picked them off.... no wonder it hasn't leafed after midsummer defoliation of the crispy leaves (while all of my other maples leafed heavily 1-2 weeks after defoliation). I will attack it with some All Seasons Oil and also get that Systemic stuff pronto.

My Shishigashira maple sapling seems to not be growing anymore (compared to my other maples)... but couldn't find any bugs nor scale on it. The undersides of leaves however, has very very faint/light white marks (hardly noticeably)... I'm thinking it's just dried water stain marks (looks as if). I don't think it's powdery mildew nor insect webbing/eggs... because it is super duper faint/light (like dried water), and not nearly as apparent/obvious, bright white and thick as mildew or webbing. I could be wrong tho (it could be very very early stages of mildew/eggs/webbing?). Anyone know what this could be?

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just noticed today my Golden Full Moon maple sapling had 3 or 4 black bumps hidden on it (adult scale), I picked them off.... no wonder it hasn't leafed after midsummer defoliation of the crispy leaves (while all of my other maples leafed heavily 1-2 weeks after defoliation). I will attack it with some All Seasons Oil and also get that Systemic stuff pronto.

My Shishigashira maple sapling seems to not be growing anymore (compared to my other maples)... but couldn't find any bugs nor scale on it. The undersides of leaves however, has very very faint/light white marks (hardly noticeably)... I'm thinking it's just dried water stain marks (looks as if). I don't think it's powdery mildew nor insect webbing/eggs... because it is super duper faint/light (like dried water), and not nearly as apparent/obvious, bright white and thick as mildew or webbing. I could be wrong tho (it could be very very early stages of mildew/eggs/webbing?). Anyone know what this could be?
What is the temperature there? In Celsius? Gaps between day and night temp?

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
What is the temperature there? In Celsius? Gaps between day and night temp?

Usually 28-32ºC... though we've had a few heatwaves here and there (like this hot weekend) around 35ºC. SoCal is very dry too... basically a desert almost.

Nights are very cool (compared to the east coast, south or big city urban areas)... 15-19ºC

Last edited:

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Usually 28-32ºC... though we've had a few heatwaves here and there (like this hot weekend) around 35ºC. SoCal is very dry too... basically a desert almost.

Nights are very cool (compared to the east coast, south or big city urban areas)... 15-19ºC
I see. Some of the foliage damage can happen due to big temp differences. I get this when some of my cheeky tries try to put on extra growth in autumn before the real cold starts.

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
In my OP, I was only focused on foliage/leaves, and didn't show any branch pics... so, here's some pics of the branches of the smaller pink ume that stopped growing a couple months ago (while my white ume continues to grow big)

Just noticed today the smaller pink ume has several black/brown bumps on the branches, very small, 0.25-1mm at most.
Should I be concerned?
Is it scale?
Adult scale is usually bigger (2-5mm long), isn't it? Or, are there different sizes of brown/black adult scale?

I sprayed the whole thing down with Bonide All Seasons horticultural oil. (the pics are an hour after I sprayed it)

Attachments

• IMG_6583.jpeg
    IMG_6583.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6584.jpeg
    IMG_6584.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6581.jpeg
    IMG_6581.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6582.jpeg
    IMG_6582.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 43

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
I came down with a fever this weekend... but, I recently just bought some Bonide All Seasons oil a few days ago and I was adamant on keeping my plants healthy..
So, I also sprayed down a couple other plants of mine that I noticed had some problems:

Golden Full Moon 1/2gal sapling - had a couple 3-5mm black-bumps, adult scale on it, and also ants (indicator of scale or aphids). Has plump green buds... but stopped growing and didn't leaf-out at all after a defoliation more than one month ago already (while all my other J maples have leafed out heavily within 1-2 weeks after defoliation). Sprayed it down.

Shishigashira 1/2gal sapling - Was growing good.. then stopped growing all of a sudden. Saw some powdery mildew here and there, and also ants (indicator of scale or aphids). Sprayed it down.

Kiyohime 1/2gal sapling - No mildew nor scale/mites/pests.. but was right next to the Golden Full Moon and Shishigashira, so sprayed it down just as a preventative.

Katsura maple in an oversized 7gal, 5/8-3/4" trunk - No mildew nor scale/mites/pests... sprayed it down just as a preventative and just in case.

3 satsuki and 3 kurume azaleas - No mildew nor scale/mites/pests, they are all healthy atm ...sprayed it down just as a preventative as well (or hidden pests/eggs)

20-30yo jasmine in 15gal - has very very small black dots under leaves. Not sure what it is, I think mites. It's vigorous, very green and no yellowing. Sprayed it down.

Nanking cherry in OP - Can't find any mildew nor scale/mites/pests, but sprayed it down just in case (they might be hiding)

Sea Green junipers in 3gal pots (air layered from a 20-30yo landscape plant) - one of them had a yellowing, browning and dying branch (while all the other branches were very green & healthy). It has white scales on that dying branch. Sprayed that branch and rest of tree... and also sprayed a 2nd sea green juniper plant (which has no scale/pests), since it was right next to it.

Pink ume in previous post/reply/OP. Sprayed it down.

1 JBP 6-7yo sapling in a 7gal that's been lime-yellow-greenish ever since I got it (similar indicator of over-watering; though I only water it twice a week... so it might be a root or soil problem, irdk) - No mildew nor scale/mites/pests... sprayed it down just as a preventative and also just maaaybe it might help/solve the lime-green issue. It seems very healthy and vigorous though.

San Jose juniper cuttings (rooted and growing) - I have 11 cuttings, and noticed 2-3 cuttings had a few white dots/scale on them. Sprayed all the cuttings.

San Jose juniper, +10yo mother plant in 15gal - No mildew nor scale/mites/pests... sprayed it down just as a preventative.

Random small succulent in mini 4" container - Lots of powdery mildew, wilting leaves, one branch completely brown/dried and sucked of all water (yet foliage at the end of it is still hanging on and 70% alive). Sprayed it down.

I might buy some of that Systemic "protect and feed" stuff soon... as it lasts for 12months and so I don't need to continually spray horticultural-oil all the time.

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
Bump...

Anyone know what those little brown spots/dots are on the branches? (scale?)
Should I be concerned?
Is that the reason why my pink ume stopped growing months ago? (while my white ume continues to grow big)

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bump...

Anyone know what those little brown spots/dots are on the branches? (scale?)
Should I be concerned?
Is that the reason why my pink ume stopped growing months ago? (while my white ume continues to grow big)
I think those bumps are lenticels—a mechanism for plants to exchange gasses with the atmosphere.

I want to gently caution you from worrying and tinkering too much on these trees! They’re seemingly quite close to being as healthy as possible and you may run the risk of loving them too much :)

Top Bottom