What’s your latest Bonsai related purchase?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I bought this thing to promote aerial roots on my ficus next season.....

View attachment 443801

Am I clueless?
It's just a smaller version of this.
IMG_20220625_102635_250.jpg
I'd be using it for the same thing except my ficus need repotting first.
About to fill it with some sickly discount finds once I get them into better soil.

ptolomeo

Sapling
Reaction score
I think it's just through https://stonelantern.com/ considering they are the publisher.
The issue is the shipping costs as much as the book itself.. I have emailed them to see if it going to be distributed directly in Europe by another channel but got no answer.. Otherwise I hope to be able to find it in the Trophy next year

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Six months ago I purchased in ebay a little stick of Calliandra surinamensis "Dixie Pink" (3$ with shipping) . Forgot to take a pic when it arrived, but it was a 3 cm stick sent in a letter (I can´t buy plants outside the Canary Islands). So I put it in a little pot outside (if it couldn't overwinter without protection I was not interested in it). But it could survive winter and root. This is it today:

IMG_20220627_143429.jpg

I'm very excited to try to bonsai it. I know it will take some time 🤣 , but that's the fun part of this hobby!

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I bought this thing to promote aerial roots on my ficus next season.....

View attachment 443801

Am I clueless?
Not really needed, but may help. Just make sure you don't end up baking your tree. My ficus trees are outside under full sun in central Texas and they develop aerial roots all the time, the problem is that without extra humidity they tend to dry up, If you catch them on time you can use the straw method and they will grow all the way to the ground. I think that setting your tree in a humidity large enough that it won't dry up during the day will work as well as the tent.

I think I already mentioned him to you, but check David Cortizas videos in YouTube. I think that when it comes to Ficus, he has the most complete info out there. I have seen a few trees better than his, but I have not seen their owners active in any forum.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just make sure you don't end up baking your tree.
This has been my concern, and part of why I haven't tried yet. Need to find a place for the greenhouse where it won't overheat.
@Fidur has a varied enough space that he should be ok if he wonders around with a thermometer a bit first.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
More pots I totally promise will be utilized next spring. I'm thinking the Heian, green semi-oval will house either my 'Ukigumo' or my 'Little Sango' Japanese Maple, whichever behaves best. The Heian, purple cut corner rectangle will likely be endowed to one of my Korean Dwarf Lilac air layers or a group comprised of the number of cuttings I'm propogating. And lastly the Koyo rounded rectangle I just sort of wanted because this glaze is so ubiquitous and pretty, might be a good partner for either my Sansho or Szechuan pepper tree though.

Also featuring my new stand, if you can't tell, im eager to break it out for my clubs show next year. I think its just barely big enough to be in proportion with the monster pot I got for my Flowering Red Currant yamadori.

Attachments

• 20220627_194948.jpg
    20220627_194948.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 26
Top Bottom