What’s your latest Bonsai related purchase?

jszg

Mame
Reaction score
1674177922315.png

1674177946959.png

Got some pines from Julian Adams (the little thunbergii) and Riverbend Gardens (the others). It was the last pine that fit my request, the rest were sold off at the Winter show in NC, but still very nice! Highly recommend.

From Riverbend: Japanese White Pine 'Myojo', and 2 corkbarks, 'Gan Seki Sho' & 'Wabi Sabi' (should be 'Wabi Sabi San'). The graft on Myojo is a bit rough- maybe I should have opted for the Arakawa graft instead- but it is a rare variety in excellent shape, so I got it anyway. The corkbarks all have very low grafting.

Wabi Sabi San should be interesting, this is what the late DeWire had to say about his variety:
Pinus thunbergii var. corticosa 'Wabi Sabi San' A most extraordinary find...a Japanese black pine! Late spring 2001 was when I was searching field-grown black pine nursery operations in S. Canby/Woodburn, Or. for neglected stock for a one hundred tree niwaki project I wanted to get underway. Niwaki is the larger trained-sculpted trees found in REAL Japanese gardens. I figured it was a ten+ year investment. The second day in I discovered an unusual-barked seven year old that I tagged and inquired about. It wasn't for sale but yes I could take scionwood in the winter, three pieces, no more! Those three all knitted for me that winter. Little did I know they would become 'Wabi Sabi San' an incredible yatsubusa corticosa (a multi-budded cork bark) gem.
This corticosa is the most flexible black pine I have ever encountered! One of my favorite lecture/demos on pine training is a complete first styling of a raw Wabi Sabi San using just my Felcos. In an hour or less a ten year old can end up looking more like a twenty-five year old without using bonsai wire or guys. Wabi Sabi has the ability to push out fresh new buds all the way back to dormant seven year older branch whorls. WSS will also set buds mid span on most perimeter internode spaces as long as there are five-six needle bundles still in place behind the timely cuts. WS is the only cork bark I know that will consistently produce top, bottom and side branches at nearly every whorl and always show strong support for the bottom branch anywhere on the tree, even in the heavily shaded parts.
Wabi Sabi San is a very vigorous yet friendly yat corticosa for the bonsai/niwaki artist. With a few years of growth momentum underway you'll find at any branch tip, a somewhat typical yatsubusa new growth arrangement consisting of one center terminal shoot eight to twelve inches long surrounded by two shorter pairs of five inch shoots and then in between these two pair, a two inch set of three shoots. All total, eight branches, three sizes, lots of styling options. Adding in the flexibility factor, the creative level comes way up. Full sun for WSS to insure the availability of all the yatsubusa options. WSS sold out quicker than expected. A few more available for fall 2018. Left to its own... in 10 years 8'H x 5'W. Zone 5 https://web.archive.org/web/2019121...4a0d9297d3c31d55f2/1526275072878/?format=300w
I was considering purchasing Yumaki from Riverbend instead of Gan Seki Sho, but Stanley&Sons described it as almost fastigiate, and I figured if I'm getting a yatsubusa cork bark pine, it's already weird enough, so a fastigiate yatsubusa cork bark would be pushing it too far: http://www.stanleyandsons.com/product/pin-7190/pinus-thunbergiana-yumaki.html

If anyone is interested, I could provide scion wood from these guys.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with you to a certain point. I used to make wooden self-bows. One of the big names in the hobby wrote something along these lines " I'd rather pony up the full price of a Nicholson #49 patternmaker's rasp ($65.00) than to be gifted 10 of lesser quality." . Sometimes, though, I'll limp along with something cheaper for just a job or two.
The #49 is a classic for makers of self bows. I have made a few but not for awhile now.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree with you to a certain point. I used to make wooden self-bows. One of the big names in the hobby wrote something along these lines " I'd rather pony up the full price of a Nicholson #49 patternmaker's rasp ($65.00) than to be gifted 10 of lesser quality." . Sometimes, though, I'll limp along with something cheaper for just a job or two.
So, you are agreeing, not to a certain point. 🤣 For a job or two, cheap will do... for continuous use, buy quality. I also have spent a stupid amount of money buying the cheap tools, mostly because at the time that was all I could afford and I needed/wanted it. In the long run I would had saved a lot of money if I had bought the decent quality tool at the time.

There will be some exceptions, but not the norm when the cheaper tool could outlast or outperform the expensive ones.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Bought this small Japanese Maple Seedling from this etsy store. First time trying to grow this type in our climate, so cheap is the way to go. they look like a reputable company too. so we will see how it does. waiting for delivery today!
I’m curious about the quality of trees from the jonsteen company. I see them a lot on Etsy. Please let us know when it arrives.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m curious about the quality of trees from the jonsteen company. I see them a lot on Etsy. Please let us know when it arrives.

I've ordered plugs from them a couple of times. They are what is pictured: not bonsai, not pre-bonsai...they are 1-2 years from seed in a plug. They have been healthy and, IMO, well worth the price for what they are. I've been thinking about placing another order from them to save me a year or two...

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've ordered plugs from them a couple of times. They are what is pictured: not bonsai, not pre-bonsai...they are 1-2 years from seed in a plug. They have been healthy and, IMO, well worth the price for what they are. I've been thinking about placing another order from them to save me a year or two...
I’ve been thinking about getting one or two of the larger size coast redwoods from them

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Try match the colour to something on the tree . Like a juniper with reddish bark in the second . Or contrast like something with white flowers in the black one
All 3 pics are actually the same piece.
I was thinking one of my gardenias some day. Glossy, dark green foliage and bright white flowers. None of them are ready for fancy pot yet, though. I'm still learning how to care for them, much less train them.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All 3 pics are actually the same piece.
I was thinking one of my gardenias some day. Glossy, dark green foliage and bright white flowers. None of them are ready for fancy pot yet, though. I'm still learning how to care for them, much less train them.
So your just trying to trick the 1/2 blind old man thanks buddy

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well if you didn't make it so easy...

No, that's why 3 pics of the same piece. Pick an angle, it's got character.
Actually I like it .the 2 tone outside.Is cool . Something flowering . And or something with red fruit . Cotoneaster ?. Not used to your location . A wild desert flowering plant .

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I got this but it arrived damaged. Two broken branches, side branch isn't bad but the top one breaking kind of killed the look. They are letting me keep this one and sending a replacement. Winner winner chicken dinner. Not the best pic but you can play "find the broken branches" :) I can see them, can you?

PXL_20230121_000538209.jpg

Back outside with this one!

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, you are agreeing, not to a certain point. 🤣 For a job or two, cheap will do... for continuous use, buy quality. I also have spent a stupid amount of money buying the cheap tools, mostly because at the time that was all I could afford and I needed/wanted it. In the long run I would had saved a lot of money if I had bought the decent quality tool at the time.

There will be some exceptions, but not the norm when the cheaper tool could outlast or outperform the expensive ones.
A lifetime as a car tech . Has changed my choices for tools . Quality for something you use a lot . Cheaper for something your going to abuse . ( like a saw for in the ground) . Unfortunately are throw away society has created a level of tools. Below what I would call lower quality. That is a level I refer to as junk . Like all interests when you start most will start with lower quality higher quantity at first . As long as there reasonable quality that’s not bad . But I would advice Once you have made the choice to continue in a hobby like bonsai . Remember it’s something you enjoy therefore using the tools should be enjoyable . Use quality tools. This will increase your enjoyment . Plus the investment long term pays off . Normally using quality pays off in ways you are not expecting . If this makes sense . At end of the day make a realistic choice how much you are going to spend in your bonsai . Say a annual budget . Tools are not a place to save . I have a thread o. Tools not for bonsai that we use . This is not a lack of quality place more a efficient financial choice .

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got this but it arrived damaged. Two broken branches, side branch isn't bad but the top one breaking kind of killed the look. They are letting me keep this one and sending a replacement. Winner winner chicken dinner. Not the best pic but you can play "find the broken branches" :) I can see them, can you?

View attachment 469408

Back outside with this one!
I assume the cut or stub above the trunk line . Have to admit I’m yet to purchase . A tree online sight unseen . Nice to see there are reputable people out there . Part of that is Canada . Is not part of the USA . Therefore the supplier has to be Canadian .

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I assume the cut or stub above the trunk line . Have to admit I’m yet to purchase . A tree online sight unseen . Nice to see there are reputable people out there . Part of that is Canada . Is not part of the USA . Therefore the supplier has to be Canadian .
Yes. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea to buy online, but I don't drink tea. :) I got them on the phone (more responsive than email) and had them send me pics of the tree I was interested in & confirmed that they would send the one pictured. I understand the risks and I'm willing to return if needed (pre-read the return policy). Bummer the branches broke but when life gives you lemons, pass me the salt & tequila. :) Looks like you got one out of two breaks correct.

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Here is how the plant came in, for $8 it’s ok. I did buy the small seedling so it’s small for sure haha. I planted it with a 3/8 inch fender washer to develop nebari.

Attachments

• C4D0B2CF-A488-48C2-A0E9-87E0EE565246.jpeg
    C4D0B2CF-A488-48C2-A0E9-87E0EE565246.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 1C575481-C727-4151-AAF6-FD764DC73BA1.jpeg
    1C575481-C727-4151-AAF6-FD764DC73BA1.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 26
  • B98ED7CB-612C-40EF-B543-F8831BE280A0.jpeg
    B98ED7CB-612C-40EF-B543-F8831BE280A0.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 23
  • E112CB0C-126B-4B8C-9C63-DDCD026BEC1C.jpeg
    E112CB0C-126B-4B8C-9C63-DDCD026BEC1C.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 35

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea to buy online, but I don't drink tea. :) I got them on the phone (more responsive than email) and had them send me pics of the tree I was interested in & confirmed that they would send the one pictured. I understand the risks and I'm willing to return if needed (pre-read the return policy). Bummer the branches broke but when life gives you lemons, pass me the salt & tequila. :) Looks like you got one out of two breaks correct.
It’s not that I would not purchase on line . It’s availability . My options are much lower than yours. I look at this thread almost ever second day and think . I wish that was a option for me

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yeeet

Attachments

• 3F74BF83-0A2F-4113-A021-F9DD4E651FC4.jpeg
    3F74BF83-0A2F-4113-A021-F9DD4E651FC4.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 1BC5189F-A9ED-4AE7-BB2F-6F2F16A358D8.jpeg
    1BC5189F-A9ED-4AE7-BB2F-6F2F16A358D8.jpeg