What’s your latest Bonsai related purchase?

hampton

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’m curious about the quality of trees from the jonsteen company.
I purchased a 2 y/o coast redwood from them two years ago. So far, so good - the tree has put on a lot of growth in two seasons in a nursery can. FWIW I think its the same folks that have been on the Mirai podcast discussing cone collection and sequoia reforestation

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I purchased a 2 y/o coast redwood from them two years ago. So far, so good - the tree has put on a lot of growth in two seasons in a nursery can. FWIW I think its the same folks that have been on the Mirai podcast discussing cone collection and sequoia reforestation
Thank you for the info on the coast redwood. I have also seen them talking about the reforestation program somewhere else. It is really cool that there is companies out there trying to save species like this. From my understanding the jonsteen company plants a TON of trees every year.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not technically my purchase but; my girlfriend picked these colanders up for me at the Asian grocery :)
View attachment 469781
But I did also buy my largest "bonsai" pot to date, by far my most expensive at a whopping 34 dollars usd ;)View attachment 469783
How's the Bloodaxe beer? Gotta love a GF picking up gear for you. :)

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
A lifetime as a car tech . Has changed my choices for tools . Quality for something you use a lot . Cheaper for something your going to abuse . ( like a saw for in the ground) . Unfortunately are throw away society has created a level of tools. Below what I would call lower quality. That is a level I refer to as junk . Like all interests when you start most will start with lower quality higher quantity at first . As long as there reasonable quality that’s not bad . But I would advice Once you have made the choice to continue in a hobby like bonsai . Remember it’s something you enjoy therefore using the tools should be enjoyable . Use quality tools. This will increase your enjoyment . Plus the investment long term pays off . Normally using quality pays off in ways you are not expecting . If this makes sense . At end of the day make a realistic choice how much you are going to spend in your bonsai . Say a annual budget . Tools are not a place to save . I have a thread o. Tools not for bonsai that we use . This is not a lack of quality place more a efficient financial choice .

Very tasty. "Nordic Farmhouse Ale", it's from a place a few blocks from me called Trve. It's a very black metal brewery
I was going to ask about the beer as well. I love a good Farmhouse Ale, what makes it nordic?? Viking blood?

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it's the lineage of yeast. Or a particular style of brewing a farmhouse ale. Apparently northern Europe has a long pedigree of farmhouse ales!
The craft beer industry is all the rage In Canada . Some very good . Years ago I gave up normal beer . It’s full of chemicals both to make it age faster . And last longer . Look for beer the meets the Bavarian purity act . 15 century rule that beer can only have 4 ingredients. Once you go there . Regular beer tastes like what it is . A can full of chemicals . Enjoy not for me been sober for 14 months and don’t plan on going back 😎😎😎😎

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Not technically my purchase but; my girlfriend picked these colanders up for me at the Asian grocery :)
View attachment 469781
But I did also buy my largest "bonsai" pot to date, by far my most expensive at a whopping 34 dollars usd ;)View attachment 469783
Don't waste your money on those colanders. They don't have enough additives in the plastic for UV protection. They will crumble quickly. For the same money, you can buy the pond basket at Lowes or HomeDepot. Those last much longer in the sunlight.

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A trident, Fagus sylvatica and three Chamaecyparis obtusa nana gracilis. “Expensive”, 10 € and 30 € each.

Attachments

• 66FB29AE-E446-4972-B487-E4A196C24BEB.jpeg
    66FB29AE-E446-4972-B487-E4A196C24BEB.jpeg
    380.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 321B2F2F-18BE-4F36-8A74-72F0F0BA493B.jpeg
    321B2F2F-18BE-4F36-8A74-72F0F0BA493B.jpeg
    375 KB · Views: 52
  • 65A2CB69-62EE-4E70-BA8B-2E9A62FC18F2.jpeg
    65A2CB69-62EE-4E70-BA8B-2E9A62FC18F2.jpeg
    379.5 KB · Views: 49

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Breaking the rules a bit for I have been working a ton and have made several purchases over the last few days;

New bag of DE. Believe it or not I found my cat squatting in the last 1/3 bucketful I had and it appears he mistook it for his box. Can't blame him

PXL_20230129_013634189.jpg
@Frozentreehugger my one inch Milwaukee diamond bit came in

PXL_20230129_013841541.jpg

We've mostly been checking in PO's for pallets full of stuff at work. While checking Gift in (dreadful retail gift type stuff that's occasionally neat) I spotted these "herb" trays and had to have them. Shallow, simple and durable pots. Biodegradable too. Great for seed starting or training imo. The tan ones look like pots folks on Tattooine might use to grow herbs. Or so I imagine
PXL_20230129_014238802.jpgPXL_20230129_014334501.jpgPXL_20230129_014350704.jpg
And lastly a nice pot that I checked in off a pottery shipment. I spent 12 dollars on this pot. When I saw the price I figured they might decided to change it (one gallon citrus trees last year, started at 15 off the truck and within a month we're "updated" to 30) and bought it that day. My boss agreed that I made the right call 😅
PXL_20230129_014439103.jpg
Thanks all for enduring my long reply!

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Breaking the rules a bit for I have been working a ton and have made several purchases over the last few days;

New bag of DE. Believe it or not I found my cat squatting in the last 1/3 bucketful I had and it appears he mistook it for his box. Can't blame him

View attachment 470368
@Frozentreehugger my one inch Milwaukee diamond bit came in

View attachment 470369

We've mostly been checking in PO's for pallets full of stuff at work. While checking Gift in (dreadful retail gift type stuff that's occasionally neat) I spotted these "herb" trays and had to have them. Shallow, simple and durable pots. Biodegradable too. Great for seed starting or training imo. The tan ones look like pots folks on Tattooine might use to grow herbs. Or so I imagine
View attachment 470370View attachment 470371View attachment 470372
And lastly a nice pot that I checked in off a pottery shipment. I spent 12 dollars on this pot. When I saw the price I figured they might decided to change it (one gallon citrus trees last year, started at 15 off the truck and within a month we're "updated" to 30) and bought it that day. My boss agreed that I made the right call 😅
View attachment 470373
Thanks all for enduring my long reply!
Love the bit

Top Bottom