What’s your latest Bonsai related purchase?

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@frozendo you have any insight into why the costs are so prohibitive? I cant imagine how expensive almost all of our produce and snacks would be if we here in the US had those "border costs" to ship from Mexico...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am contemplating putting fairy tale figurines on my bonsai to get my grandchildren's imagination going. Any recommendations around this theme?
Depending on the ages of the children.
1680137040807.png
1680137112153.png
1680137203558.png

I used to be with it. But they keep changing what "it" is. :)

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Again some perspective . Things like just order it from Bobs bonsai . As I have said before . Shipping into Canada from a foreign country . Yes that includes the USA . Has got crazy since Covid . Final chapter my X mass present from my daughter . 2 bonsai books from a reputable bonsai supplier in the USA . ( no fault of the the supplier ) books aprox 40 $ cross border shipping taxes and any import fee ( should be no fee ) 111.50 $ Fed Ex has been e mailing her since that she owes them a further 36.75 . For so called border issues . Her being a teenager that still believes . Right from wrong and people honouring agreements . Has refused to pay with out proof . Today I paid them before it creates a black mark on her credit . Books 40. $ shipping and border 148.25 Canadian. I have heard multiple similar stories . 200 in wire from Miria 675$ to get it to Toronto . Canada . I think you can understand my thread on other stuff for bonsai . And desire for Canadian suppliers . @Bonsai Nut thank you for partnering with a tool supplier that ships to Canada for free . They will get all my business .
I paid $89 in shipping for exactly the same thing I received last year for $30, so it's not only in Canada. But that is excessive. Good dad, for taking care of the extra cost for her.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I paid $89 in shipping for exactly the same thing I received last year for $30, so it's not only in Canada. But that is excessive. Good dad, for taking care of the extra cost for her.
Thanks the real answer is I live about 45 minutes from New York State . So cross the border and there are service providers that give you a US mailing address . Then just drive over and pick it up . Pay duty and tax at the border . Just waiting on the government to stop dragging there feet . Updating some ID for the wife . So we can renew passports. I may be a dum redneck . But I’m smart enough to not suggest crossing the border . Where there are shopping 🛍 opportunities . Without my wife . And daughter .

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
12 Gallons of BonsaiJack Inorganic Bonsai Soil Mix.
I'll apologize in advance for my unwanted feedback and don't mean to start another soil war... I'm in SoCal as well (and I'm cheap) so I started buying 50 lb bags (I believe it's 2 yards) of pumice from OC Farm Supply (https://www.ocfarmsupply.com/). I think a bag was $17.99. The sizes are pretty consistent between 1/8"-1/4". I add about 10%-15% fir bark or pine bark and that's what I've been using for all my plants. Definitely not as well rounded as the Bonsai Jack stuff but if you're repotting a bunch of trees in development it'll save you a good amount of money! You can now carry on with your day and feel free to ignore what I said 😄

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
View attachment 479308
Multiple pots from a Polish potter: $250
Estimated shipping cost from Poland: $45
Round trip flight and lodging in Warsaw for ceramic pickup: $2,000

This hobby is heavy on the wallet. I’ll get it shipped next time.
:) ... outside does look like Poland (for disclosure... I'm Polish)

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll apologize in advance for my unwanted feedback and don't mean to start another soil war... I'm in SoCal as well (and I'm cheap) so I started buying 50 lb bags (I believe it's 2 yards) of pumice from OC Farm Supply (https://www.ocfarmsupply.com/). I think a bag was $17.99. The sizes are pretty consistent between 1/8"-1/4". I add about 10%-15% fir bark or pine bark and that's what I've been using for all my plants. Definitely not as well rounded as the Bonsai Jack stuff but if you're repotting a bunch of trees in development it'll save you a good amount of money! You can now carry on with your day and feel free to ignore what I said 😄
1 cubic yard . Often referred to as a yard . Measurement . Is a container that is 1 yardX 1yard X1 yard or a box 1 yard square and 1 yard deep . Suspect your 50 lbs bag is considerably smaller than that

SexyGArdener

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
1 cubic yard . Often referred to as a yard . Measurement . Is a container that is 1 yardX 1yard X1 yard or a box 1 yard square and 1 yard deep . Suspect your 50 lbs bag is considerably smaller than that
LuZiKui probably meant 2 cubic feet; it sounds more reasonable based on the weight of pumice.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What you bought could be a 2 cubic foot bag, but the weight is closer to what a 1 cf would weigh unless it is 100% dry. A yard weights at around 700-1000 lbs depending on moisture content. Pretty cheap if it is a 2 cf, the cheapest I found so far has been buildasoil at $16.50 per 1 cf bag. The yard is $211 now.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Again some perspective . Things like just order it from Bobs bonsai . As I have said before . Shipping into Canada from a foreign country . Yes that includes the USA . Has got crazy since Covid . Final chapter my X mass present from my daughter . 2 bonsai books from a reputable bonsai supplier in the USA . ( no fault of the the supplier ) books aprox 40 $ cross border shipping taxes and any import fee ( should be no fee ) 111.50 $ Fed Ex has been e mailing her since that she owes them a further 36.75 . For so called border issues . Her being a teenager that still believes . Right from wrong and people honouring agreements . Has refused to pay with out proof . Today I paid them before it creates a black mark on her credit . Books 40. $ shipping and border 148.25 Canadian. I have heard multiple similar stories . 200 in wire from Miria 675$ to get it to Toronto . Canada . I think you can understand my thread on other stuff for bonsai . And desire for Canadian suppliers . @Bonsai Nut thank you for partnering with a tool supplier that ships to Canada for free . They will get all my business .
That is absolutely shocking, it’s not as if it had to cross other borders before reaching Canada….just „Next door“. How can they even justify these charges!?

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
LuZiKui probably meant 2 cubic feet; it sounds more reasonable based on the weight of pumice.
Woops! Like I said, please ignore anything I say. Guess I should have been in bed instead of posting on here.

You are all correct, it is absolutely not 2 cubic yards, my wife would kill me if I had 2 cubic yards of pumice sitting in the back yard 🤣. I double checked and it is 2 cubic feet.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Woops! Like I said, please ignore anything I say. Guess I should have been in bed instead of posting on here.

You are all correct, it is absolutely not 2 cubic yards, my wife would kill me if I had 2 cubic yards of pumice sitting in the back yard 🤣. I double checked and it is 2 cubic feet.
Still sounds like a good deal cost wise . Pumice is rare here and about 2.5 times as expensive . Was not trying to be critical . About the amount just info for accuracy

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is absolutely shocking, it’s not as if it had to cross other borders before reaching Canada….just „Next door“. How can they even justify these charges!?
Exactly hence my further post about . A mailing address service in the USA . I’m lucky close to the border so it’s a alternative . Pre Covid we often crossed for a little shopping . The savings on filling the car with gas in the USA covers the cost of the trip 👍👍

Top Bottom