What’s your latest Bonsai related purchase?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
As did mine, but with a little Dorothy Hayden azalea tucked in!

Thanks @Pitoon !

View attachment 366200
That's amazing! They grew a ton inside the box in the dark.

So now knowing this we can possibly put this to our advantage. When the Nippons are kept outside in full sun they will grow thick stems that are difficult to bend without snapping them. Having them leggy like this will allow wiring without snapping to set some movement. Once the stems are set we can take the wire off and let them grow unrestricted to thicken them into trunks.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

papkey5

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I am uber committed to having successful cuttings this year so I went and bought a mist system. Have not started the set up yet, it’s late winter in Logan.

Attachments

• 205B9F9F-0700-419D-A5E1-BC9F619FF431.png
    205B9F9F-0700-419D-A5E1-BC9F619FF431.png
    137.6 KB · Views: 29

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I tried to bonsai dwarf mums a long time ago. I've seen some that a Mum lady in California did that were pretty nice. They are difficult subjects and are short lived by bonsai standards and harder to keep in temperate zones. They are pretty much clip & grow, wire poorly if at all, and grow out of shape very quickly, so you have stay on them constantly.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
So my Liquidamber and Birch came yesterday, pretty happy with them but the pot on the Birch is broken, if I take that plastic off it will all collapse.
I don't really have a suitable replacement pot either and don't want to muck around with it too much. Thinking about building a slightly bigger grow box and just sit the whole lot in there, seems to be a fairly solid root mass so it may hold up.

IMG_9862.JPGc.jpgf.jpgIMG_9860.JPGn.jpgx.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I tried to bonsai dwarf mums a long time ago. I've seen some that a Mum lady in California did that were pretty nice. They are difficult subjects and are short lived by bonsai standards and harder to keep in temperate zones. They are pretty much clip & grow, wire poorly if at all, and grow out of shape very quickly, so you have stay on them constantly.
Nippon Daisy are cold hardy chrysanthemums. Bill V has some AMAZING specimens. They can be wired.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nippon Daisy are cold hardy chrysanthemums. Bill V has some AMAZING specimens. They can be wired.
And soon, you'll see why the California lady did it with dwarf Mums which are only marginally hardy to zone 6.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
And soon, you'll see why the California lady did it with dwarf Mums which are only marginally hardy to zone 6.
Let's not confuse the chrysanthemums (mums and their hybrids) and Nipponanthemum nipponicum. Nippon's were listed in the same genus as mums (Chrysanthemum), but were removed from that genus into their own Nipponanthemum. While Nippon's produce daisy like flowers that some mums do, they are really nothing like mums that we know.......hence the reason why they were removed. They are very different from mums.

It's been proven you can produce bonsai from both the dwarf mums and Nippon's. However the dwarf mums can die back depending where you are located, unless you provide shelter during the winter months. Nippon's will produce actual trunks that bark up.

Badge30

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Expecting Shindeshojo from Mendocino maples tomorrow. I picked up a Sharps Pigmy from them last year. No problems. Survived its first Cleveland winter. It was a mild winter though.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What you don't understand is...they get a hard pruning in early July. So the long growth before then really is no concern to me. You prune it back hard. Valavanis has some amazing specimens. I don't see where they will be as difficult as you claim. I find them charming. Maybe it's the cultivar I have...the Nippon daisy. Even in landscape you prune them hard by July 4th.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What you don't understand is...they get a hard pruning in early July. So the long growth before then really is no concern to me. You prune it back hard. Valavanis has some amazing specimens. I don't see where they will be as difficult as you claim. I find them charming. Maybe it's the cultivar I have...the Nippon daisy. Even in landscape you prune them hard by July 4th.
Darlene, my previous post would make more sense #714. I think there's some confusion.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Darlene, my previous post would make more sense #714. I think there's some confusion.
I gotcha, Forsoothe telling me I would soon understand. I assumed their growing out. Who knows what he's thinking. But to say it is problematic when there are amazing specimens...but alas, you nailed it with your post. So thanks.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I gotcha, Forsoothe telling me I would soon understand. I assumed their growing out. Who knows what he's thinking. But to say it is problematic when there are amazing specimens...but alas, you nailed it with your post. So thanks.
I have already said that I have seen lovely examples. That means it can be done.

I said they are difficult subjects. They grow very fast, just like all perennials do. Think about that for a moment.

I said they are short-lived by bonsai standards, I stand by that, too. We shall see.

The dwarfs are difficult to over-winter in Michigan's zone 6 because they need cool, but can't stand the length or depth of my winter. Montauk Daisy is an escaped plant with an established hardiness of USDA 5 - 9 along the east coast.

I said they are basically clip & grow (because they grow very fast), and that they wire poorly (because they grow very fast), and grow out of shape vary fast (because they grow very fast), and you will have to stay with them constantly (because they grow very fast).

I forgot to mention that the flower stems are very long, as in, measured in feet. I have had other kinds of daisies and had the same really long flower stem which made them somewhat unrewarding for all the trouble they are. Doing a lot of pinching for sizing and ramification will also deliver fewer and later flowers. I won't bother speaking to the strap-like leaves which will also force a style other than formal or informal upright. There are lots of other styles.

You would be better off just taking my observations for what they are: input; just one of a series of inputs by a variety of people on a thread. I didn't say you can't do it, or that I wouldn't do it, or that they would look ugly, or use one of my favorite predictions, "a fool's errand" ( which I don't shy away from using when I think appropriate (you may have noticed)). Instead, use what I have said along with others' comments and do your thang. Bona fortuna!

Top Bottom