What’s your latest Bonsai related purchase?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To be fair,

Fair to who? Forgive me if I have known you are with spouse but now know you are single! If not..are you being fair to them?🤣

If you haven't started a resale business....at this rate, you will.....have to?

Love!

You got it bad!

I would be excited to see a thread on your pot collection. This is not the first I remember from overseas? I'd love to hear about how you're finding these things and what attracts you to them.

That dark and yellow joint is nice!

Sorce

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They just took a bit to get here is all.
Sounds like Amazon shipping! Last order took 30 days, was reported lost twice. Took five days to travel the last 100 miles. And that was not involving any other continents!

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fair to who? Forgive me if I have known you are with spouse but now know you are single! If not..are you being fair to them?🤣

Love!

You got it bad!

I would be excited to see a thread on your pot collection. This is not the first I remember from overseas? I'd love to hear about how you're finding these things and what attracts you to them.

Sorce

I'm one of the lucky few whose personal economy is better post covid. We don't eat out as much, travel less, and no commute :D. I have hundreds of plants in grow bags that I need to reduce the footprint of, I'm bored, and my wife likes all the plants about the house :)

I used to always buy plastic. But UV kills even good plastic in a couple of years. The only "old" pots I have are all ceramic...mass produced box store ceramic...but ceramic.

So...now I'm buying nicer pots :D

As for how I choose? The first few from @sorce were a form of payback for his involvement with BNut...I've been lurking here for a loonnngggg time. He's quirky...I enjoy his obtuse posting style :D. The rest from @sorce: I tend to be loyal: as long as he continues to make pots I like that aren't too redundant with what I have and are a quality I like, I will continue to look at what he offers and buy when I'm willing.

In general though, I like a quirky pot but with a design that is cohesive. I don't often buy pots to "fit" trees...especially ceramic. Ceramic will outlive any tree I own...just ask the archeologists ;) I buy pots I like. I pot plants in them as soon as I can to put them to use. If I don't like the pairing, I change it when I have something better. My 30 year old jade plant has been through more than a dozen pots!

I do need to stop buying pots for a bit though :( I still have a few needing trees and I hate having too many empty pots...they invite more plants!
Fear not though...I still have a loottt more plants needing pots ;)

...and I belive this is actually my first foreign pot purchase. There's a few foreign potters I'd really like to try pots from but shipping from Australia can cost more than the pot itself :(

Sorry to hijack the thread...I'll have another pot to post soon ;)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Love!

You got it bad!

Sorce

I got a couple from European Bonsai Collective, it was fairly easy. What originally attracted me to them were other, more expensive pots, to be honest. Tastes can change quickly so I've slowed down. I think for me, it's hard to do the tree and the pot at the same time without a few sitting around when the right time for repotting hits. Everyone else is buying them then, too, you know? So I feel as though non-repotting seasons may not be a bad time to get a couple if you like 'em.

I do think I will probably be more likely to stick to what's available in America though, be it vintage or new. Adding the shipping cost does bring you into kind of a different tier of pot if you were to spend it all here, it seems. I mean, I don't know.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
IRS onto any of you with selling pots and whatnot in here? LLCs? hoping to sell a few items on here and craigslist down the line a bit
but as much as it hurts me i understand the hurt they can put on us

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
IRS onto any of you with selling pots and whatnot in here? LLCs? hoping to sell a few items on here and craigslist down the line a bit
but as much as it hurts me i understand the hurt they can put on us

I honestly never thought about it. You mean like an actual store? I would think that selling via forums wouldn't even be on their radar, I don't think they even care about stock trades under $10k

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I honestly never thought about it. You mean like an actual store? I would think that selling via forums wouldn't even be on their radar, I don't think they even care about stock trades under $10k
i wondered for a second if theres a $$ margin for when you have to report/file/pay, but then i assumed they want it all

big gov sux​

source

Online 'Garage Sales'​

Online sales of personal, used items do not generally have to be reported. Selling your old bicycle on Craigslist is an example of these types of sales. Losses on personal-use property are not deductible on online sellers' tax returns. The rule of thumb is that if you used the items and then sold them for less than you bought them for, then you owe no taxes on the sale. However, if you sold an antique or collectible that had appreciated since you first acquired it, you likely would be on the hook for taxes on the profit.

Determining Whether Sales Are Hobby or Business​

Income made from online sales can be reported to the IRS as "hobby income" if the sales activity qualifies as a hobby according to the IRS, i.e. sale without the intention of making money. For example, a recreational photographer selling a photo on ebay should report the sale as hobby income.

The IRS will consider your hobby to be a business if you made a profit in three of the last five years. While at one time you could deduct your hobby expenses from your hobby income, since 2018, hobby expenses are no longer deductible.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm not certain about what the federal threshold is for reporting something as income is, but most states put it around $5,000 total income a year I believe. That's anything you make TOTAL by any means over $5k must be reported and taxed.

So, technically, anything more than fistful of coins has to be reported as income. If it's onesies and twosies over a year, no one will notice or care, but anything that would significantly impact your personal purchasing power needs taxed.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Back in the early 2000's I inquired to the State of Michigan about collecting sales taxes (here, 6%) on club plant sales, and they basically blew me off. The club made about $2k/yr at that time.The costs of processing the paperwork is not nominal in bureaucracies, and there is a break-even point for them, I'm sure, and I don't know what it is. The account has to be set up and then cycled through their monitoring processes quarterly or whatever, and that ain't nothin' either. Clubs and hobbyist businesses which are not really intended to make much money are most often short-lived creatures, and if pressed to off-set sales with costs, the profits can be below that minimum nut for the state, same thing for the Federales, except the nut's much bigger. The agents have to show they're worth their salt, and pestering some nobody jerk for couple grand ain't worth the candle.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
What, MORE trees!?!?
Yup, my 30 new sticks, I mean trees arrived today, from Cold Stream Farm.

Still preparing for Retirement, and my Bonsai enjoyment will be a big part of it (along with my other hobbies).

When they say it’s difficult to slow-down your collecting in the beginning, they weren’t kidding! LOL...
Oh, and having some OCD tendencies, can be a real witch sometimes. LOL...

Going to pot ‘em up & let ‘em grow.
Hopefully I’ll keep them alive for a very long time.
Wisteria - 2-3'6
Bald Cypress (Taxodium distichum) - 1-2' seedling4
Giant Sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum) - 12-18'' Spring Only4
American Beech (Fagus grandifolia) - 2-3' Spring only4
American Hornbeam (Carpinus caroliniana) - 1-2'4
Weeping Willow (Salix babylonica) - 1-2'4
American Larch (Larix laricina) - 6-12" * Spring Only *4

Attachments

• BAE4184F-DFE3-4B26-A3F6-EA4226DA6B05.jpeg
    BAE4184F-DFE3-4B26-A3F6-EA4226DA6B05.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 19
Last edited: