What’s your latest Bonsai related purchase?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I bought two Goldcone Juniper for $10 apiece in 5 gal pots. That's about 20 cents a pound. I needed some fill dirt for a project and figured I could get what I needed reducing the roots. It worked. They looked exactly the same going in...
View attachment 402483
The other side of both had a lot of dead branches, so I decided to bite the bullet and take them back as far as possible and keep only enough foliage to keep the process going, as in cure it or kill it. I reduced the roots by cutting off the bottom half and then raked my way through half of that. That sounds like I over did it, but they still have more roots than foliage. Considering how ugly the the tops turned out, death may be the best eventuality.
View attachment 402489
And looked the same coming out...
View attachment 402490
I also stumbled across another Bougie, Blueberry Ice which is one of my favorite and I lost the last of another one two years ago, so this was a welcome find for me, same place, same price...
View attachment 402484
As always, there were two small individuals in the pot, and you can never really tell what you have until you take them apart, #1...
View attachment 402485
...A very good initial shape, almost one in a million. I will grow this out as is. #2 is so-so and has a break where the two trunks divide. I'm going to experiment and try to slice the two surfaces which have been apart for some time and too dry to knit IMHO, and hormone them together for a couple years. I will put a tiny screw in there, too...
View attachment 402487
View attachment 402488
As you can see, one side without the other is blah, and really not an option. Wish me luck. That gave me five growing tips to root so...
View attachment 402494
Damn, can you really take that much off a juniper? Honest question

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A Crassula ovata minor, P afra kaleidoscope, and 2 small, 4oz pots because they were 50% off at $1.50ea. All for

The ovata won’t be in a pot. It just looked fun for the pic. I will put the most branched out afra in the blue one come spring, but will slip pot until then

I’ve been binging a channel called Bonsaify and he does a lot of mame, so I’m inspired to start some

Attachments

• B38286EF-4A1F-4ED6-8E92-BA5CE97BEF98.jpeg
    B38286EF-4A1F-4ED6-8E92-BA5CE97BEF98.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 43

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
My daughter (3) obviously loves my pink Bunzan pot the best, so when I saw a small one on the $0.99 bonsai auction, I figured she should have it. Went out to the woods and grabbed some moss (or whatever it is) together to put in it for now.

View attachment 402414

View attachment 402415

They seem to match a bit better in person than in the photo though.
@Carol 83 and @RJG2 I've always been determined to never join FB but I've been wanting a Bunzan pot since I first saw one. Are they reasonable on FB auctions? The ones I've seen on Ebay are well over 100 dollars which seems high. I don't shop Ebay on a regular basis...it's not really rewarding for what I'm looking for usually. Are his pots reasonable on FB auctions? So sweet you gave that little pot to your daughter RJG2...Bet she loved it.

Carol, there's a pink one on there now that looks close to yours...maybe a little smaller for 140.00.
Some of his tiny pots are 48.00 and up but I'd like a slightly larger one like the size you bought.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Have been looking for pyracantha. Noticed a person along my walk has one so was doing some research and would ask them for berries if I saw the owners outside

Well ended up going to Lowe’s and saw they had 2 in stock for $13. Went back this evening and bought one. It’s over 6’, so will cut it back in the spring

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
@Carol 83 and @RJG2 I've always been determined to never join FB but I've been wanting a Bunzan pot since I first saw one. Are they reasonable on FB auctions? The ones I've seen on Ebay are well over 100 dollars which seems high. I don't shop Ebay on a regular basis...it's not really rewarding for what I'm looking for usually. Are his pots reasonable on FB auctions? So sweet you gave that little pot to your daughter RJG2...Bet she loved it.

Carol, there's a pink one on there now that looks close to yours...maybe a little smaller for 140.00.
Some of his tiny pots are 48.00 and up but I'd like a slightly larger one like the size you bought.
There were several small ones on the FB .99 Cent Auction. But I have a small one I got from Matt O.a few years ago. I haven't been on Ebay for some time, everything seems overpriced to me. I don't have a FB account either, I joined the bonsai auction groups using my husbands account. ;)

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

The person that runs the auction is always posting them. I'll see if you can email him directly or something.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Thank you RJG2, that's really nice of you. I just have a thing about FB. So many people say they just do it for the auctions but I'd only want pots and TBH those pots are the only pots right now on my 'want' list. Carol, I don't know who Matt O is put it's such a pretty pot.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
A pink pixie bougie from the .99 Auctions. I bid the minimum right when the auction was closing, thought I was too late, which was fine. But received a message for shipping information today. You'd be amazed how fast I can delete a message from my husband's FB account. ;)😇

Calnicky

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I bought 4 trees at the Puget Sound Bonsai Association auction - and didn't go over my pre-agreed upon (with myself) limit! They are: A hawthorn cascade originally styled/owned by Bob Law of Bonsai Society of Portland, a collected subalpine fir from Utah, a mugo pine and a trident maple forest. Photos attached. IMG_3393.jpgIMG_3385.jpgIMG_3392.jpgIMG_3394.jpg

And here's the maple forest today (just to add a little color to your lives): IMG_3405.jpg

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those are definitely are nice to add to your collection. I actually saw those trees in the YouTube video. Very nice trees.
The mugo looks a bit crowded to me though.

Top Bottom