What’s your latest Bonsai related purchase?

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Bought myself a early Christmas present. It's a pretty big boy at 21" at the chop with a 5" base. 🤪

Can't wait to see it on the bench

View attachment 410819
I see so many bald cypress bonsai trees in Fl it might surprise you! But this one is a beauty. Not sure where it came from but it's nice. Not sure if you're going to keep it as a flat top but I like the trunk. Most are this size or bigger but I don't see a lot with good taper. What state is it from?

Calnicky

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A standard membership to Mirai Live (my 2nd year). I just wish they'd inform you before your subscription was up before charging your credit card another $180. Oh well, was going to renew anyway. And it's certainly worth the bucks for that library of information!

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I see so many bald cypress bonsai trees in Fl it might surprise you! But this one is a beauty. Not sure where it came from but it's nice. Not sure if you're going to keep it as a flat top but I like the trunk. Most are this size or bigger but I don't see a lot with good taper. What state is it from?
It's coming from Louisiana. I'm leaning towards flat top but I'll get a better idea when I see it in person

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
It's coming from Louisiana. I'm leaning towards flat top but I'll get a better idea when I see it in person
I hope you'll post another pic when you get it. Sometimes when you shoot low and up at something you'll usually get a narrowing with the camera lens. Won't go into it but it's what happens. (The same reason high rise buildings look smaller at the top or imagine photos of Manhattan...the tops of the buildings look smaller). I hope that's not what I'm seeing with the trunk but I hope you'll post a pic from straight on. I don't think I've ever seen a young BC with taper like that. They're usually pretty much a broomstick and will develop taper as they age. It has nice branching too which is the tree and obviously not the camera. Looks like a solid tree. I almost always see people go with a flat top and because the top of the photo was cropped just assumed it was...Didn't look at it carefully. Not sure why almost every one I see in classes goes with a flat top but they look nice.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I don't think I've ever seen a young BC with taper like that. They're usually pretty much a broomstick and will develop taper as they age.
This one does have a lot of taper. However, the BCs I grow from seed have very decent taper. Only the ones grown by nurseries where the trees are in tight space and encouraged to grow straight up will we see broom sticks.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The thread title says, "purchase," so I don't post allot because I'm broke. (I'm apparently finicky about what rules I break.)
Then I lucked out with these, and wanted to share.
IMG_20211204_215346_934.jpg
Cheap crap that was free to me, so I appreciate it all the more.

Local shop that's been a community staple for decades is closing. The owners are finally retiring. It was an ultra-old-school place that sold the sort of stuff that old American frontier trading posts used to. The guy even made a living fur trapping for 30+ years.
Anyway, everything including the fixtures and furniture are on sale cheap. These were labeled as lace cutters, and sat on the shelf next to the leather sewing awls. My father bought some of the fixtures, and I was helping him get them, and asked about these. The lady there just gave them to me.

They're nothing worth showing off in terms of quality, but I'm happy to have them.
Might scrounge up some money if I can and make an offer on the whole lot as a future investment.

Attachments

• IMG_20211204_215315_072.jpg
    IMG_20211204_215315_072.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 12

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
This one does have a lot of taper. However, the BCs I grow from seed have very decent taper. Only the ones grown by nurseries where the trees are in tight space and encouraged to grow straight up will we see broom sticks.
In Florida a lot of them are collected but I honestly can't say exactly how the ones I've seen have been grown. The next ones I see though I'll find out and let you know. I do know that collection is the most common way people get theirs though but I don't want to make any assumptions about the specifics of all the ones I've seen. I'll just ask people where they got theirs and make a note about the taper. I really do see a lot of them though and of course if people are collecting them it makes sense that I would see more of them then other trees...They're not paying for them so there would be more of them. I'm curious though now about this aspect and will get back to you about it.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well I thought I was done with this thread, but I guess you never are...........
Always had a passion for Japanese White Pine and had a few but didn't realize there were so many cultivars available. Just got these 5 today. Kinpo, Miyoi, Bonny, Kobe and Akai Ashi Goyo
BTW, these all have very low grafts and while my intent was just to have more JWP, there is a future bonsai or two in here.
IMG_6245.JPG

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Getting prepared early for potting season akadama, pumice, lava, muck, fert and New substrate to trial S-Te™ (Kyodama) neverView attachment 411534 used this before (distributed by kaizen uk)
Wow! Delays in shipments has caused a drought of Akadama and other Japanese substrates here in the US, and the ones that still some it’s $70+ a bag for Akadama. I ordered a total of 30 bags of various subtrates through our bonsai club bull order and we may not get any in before spring reporting season.

Top Bottom