What’s your latest Bonsai related purchase?

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
Beautiful hornbeam and elm, is the hornbeam multiple trunks or just 1 trunk? Please show us your trees sometimes Marco because from what I’ve seen so far all your trees are spectacular sir!
Thank you! The Hornbeam is made of two trees, as you can see: the left without leaves, the right with leaves. The Elm do I have since 1997, completely rebuilded and marcotted.. Most of my trees I've made my own...

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last year I went to buy a Mt. Hemlock yamadori from Anton Nijhuis to enter into the Native tree/native pot contest. I decided to make it a Christmas tradition, and just got back from his place in Campbell River with two trees that fit my budget.
First is a Mt. Hemlock literati that was collected at a very high elevation, maybe 4-5 years ago. Anton thought it might be upwards of 150 yrs. old despite it’s thin profile. He had done some initial work on the tree. It has some very nice natural shari:

IMG_0024.jpeg

The second is a Japanese Black Pine that Anton had started from seed 25 or so years ago. He sort of gave up on them early on, but I am excited to try my hand at JBP with this tree. I’ll probably start threads on these two after winter. A very Merry Christmas for me!

IMG_0026.jpeg

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I stocked up on aluminum wire from Stone Lantern. Prompt delivery. I also picked up 4 bags of Hapi Gro 100% organic compost from Lowes. This has been my go-to organic component for 5 years. It seems to be mostly bark with a bit of small wood slivers. The trees don't seem to mind a bit. The yield is about 60% particles in the 1/8" to 1/4" range. 4 bags for $15.00 and some change. Fair enough. I DO see why suppliers charge so much for premium bonsai soil, though. I'd bet their yeild overall is below 50%.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Decomposing organic matter, under the right conditions, gives off a surprising amount of heat. Somewhere on Youtube I saw a homesteader heat a small greenhouse with a pile of compost up against one of the walls.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My issue is my cold frame is the same temp as outside, lol, not helpful

Was looking into non-electronic ways of keeping it warmer
A properly oriented coldframe can maintain a higher temperature but this is not always, or even often what we are looking for with coldframes for bonsai. Moderation of temperature is more important.

AndresT

Seedling
Reaction score
This is my "latest bonsai related purchase" does anybody have used this fertilizer? some people told me is good.
310b4036-9168-4bc3-bd4f-906130c6daba.JPG

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Picked up this little Mikawa Yatsubusa for a few bucks today at my local nursery. Couldn’t resist 6” tall.

Attachments

• 66AC684E-23D3-4514-B47F-FBD9FD2B2DAA.jpeg
    66AC684E-23D3-4514-B47F-FBD9FD2B2DAA.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 21
Top Bottom