What’s your latest Bonsai related purchase?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
They have never disappointed me. I also picked up a couple 'Tsuki no shimo’, a cupped leaf satsuki. Honestly, I don't know how they can sell them in gallon pots for $20 each. Their shipping rates are excellent too.
I guess I'll have to give them a look. I have the Nuccios catalogue printed out ready to do some shopping. Their azaleas were $9 last year and he only charged me $6 for one because he said it was small.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Me too. Had to slow down a little until I can make and sell some more pots. I had 4 of their very visibly marked shipping boxes at one time I had to hide from my wife. I am planning a trip there when and if they open to the public this spring as they are hoping to.
They even sent my a free gift.
Same here, I can’t wait to visit their nursery, seeing as they are less than two hours away. A truly dangerous thing for my bank account 😁

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
Did you have any success propagating Juniperus rigida from seed?
I got the rigida seed late winter and didn't have time for cold & hot stratification in fridge so they were put in a seed tray for nature to germinate. Got 3 seedlings come up last spring and hopefully a few more this spring.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Are their azaleas grafted or propagated from cuttings?

All azaleas are grown from cuttings commercially. 3-4 years to market depending on if the nursery sells single stem like Nuccios for nursery stock or Riverbend (a year younger) for bonsai stock).

Dunno about Mr Maple. Many nurseries are stuffing 2-3 smaller plants in one container to make these plants look robust.
Maybe a Mr Maple buyer can weigh in? I do know their shipping is quite a bit higher then Nuccios last order, yet that may just be the recent cost of freight.

btw: Grafting is done to older azaleas to replace branches.

Cheers
DSD sends

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dunno about Mr Maple. Many nurseries are stuffing 2-3 smaller plants in one container to make these plants look robust.
Maybe a Mr Maple buyer can weigh in? I do know their shipping is quite a bit higher then Nuccios last order, yet that may just be the recent cost of freight.
I have bought many plants from Mr Maple but my azaleas I asked them to hold a couple of weeks because I am dealing with a lot of ice currently. I find their shipping to be Very reasonable on everything I have gotten from them. Shipping on the 8 azalea I have coming works out to $5 a piece. And their $35 azaleas are on sale for $20 so landed at my house makes them $25 each. Can't beat it with a stick. Wish I could buy more but I have too much to deal with at present.
I have not bought from Nuccio's yet but I will when I can handle it. They receive high accolades from everyone I know who has bought from them. In some ways they are still stuck in the 20th century but so am I so I can't complain.
I am very happy with the 20+ azaleas I have from Riverbend. We are very lucky to have so many excellent sources in the US.

Sorry, just realized all this azalea talk is ruining the intent of the original post.

Last edited:

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Got two prunus besseyi (hansens bush cherry) and a magenta crabapple in the mail today, Still waiting on my 5 Ulmus parvifolia to get here. 😁

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Just sent my order for 8 azaleas to Nuccios. Anyone interested, this year they are $10 and he said he is already running out of some varieties.

chuckwc1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Bonsai - Salkei book
Sam Miller Unglazed 7.5” x 2.5”
Nao x 2 Glazed and Unglazed 8*3”
Where did you get the book from? Have a different Saikei book on the way from Stone Lantern, another Penjing book on the way and have one on Hon Non Bo. Starting a bit of a collection on 'forest/landscape planting style' books.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Where did you get the book from? Have a different Saikei book on the way from Stone Lantern, another Penjing book on the way and have one on Hon Non Bo. Starting a bit of a collection on 'forest/landscape planting style' books.

In the dark depths of eBay

chuckwc1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A

In the dark depths of eBay
You'll have to let me know if it's filled with good information. The Hon Non Bo book I've read had just enough to get me to start experimenting, but not enough to make me confident.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You'll have to let me know if it's filled with good information. The Hon Non Bo book I've read had just enough to get me to start experimenting, but not enough to make me confident.
Some of the techniques are dated obviously, it’s from the 60’s but what most useful is the forest layout designs and ideas… still useful today

Top Bottom