What’s your latest Bonsai related purchase?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Alas, just when my cukes began to produce, -late as it is, they came out the wrong color, camouflage green, AKA mosaic virus. So, off to the store to see if there are any plants left in the whole world in late July. Did find two clumps for $7 each, making me unsure if I should tolerate the gouging or go without cukes. So I bought them. I had stopped at one greenhouse and they had none. They did have two Boogies in the "needs minor repair" corner...
BID all 2021_0720 2 Boogies (2).jpg
BID all 2021_0720 2 Boogies (4).jpg
BID #1 2021_0720 2 Boogies (3).jpg
BID #1 2021_0720 2 Boogies (1).jpg
BID #2 & 3 2021_0720 2 Boogies (5).jpg
Turned out to be my lucky day! Two that look grafted to each other in pot #1 and two quite separate in the second pot. All are 'Imperial Delight' to my eye, a variety I had a million years ago and haven't seen since. I lost two over last winter, a violet and a 'Masquerade' which I will miss, and Boogies of any size are pretty hard to find up here, much less these giants in #3-4 pots for $25 each. So it looks like I get 3 nice individuals for $53 early enough in the season to do all the heavy lifting of massive downsizing. Glory be! If the cuke virus hadn't sent me to the store...

zedmarcus

Sapling
Reaction score
Was away with the wife for a few nights last weekend and she suggested stopping in at a Bonsai nursery on the way home. I hadn't been there before but watch the owners videos on YouTube occasionally (won't mention the name of the nursery as some people on here seen to have an issue with him and his methods). Anyway, ended up leaving with a wisteria sinensis and an overgrown dawn redwood (pictures of the redwood to follow later when it's had a trim). Never had any intention of getting a wisteria Bonsai but my wife loves them as garden plants, so kinda twisted my arm into getting it.
Only problem is I've now had to start getting rid of some of my lesser prebonsai as I'm running out of room for everything.
DSC_0307.JPGDSC_0308.JPG

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Potted up the three Bougainvillea 'Imperial Delight'. #1 was a single, not two grafted. The two in the other pot weren't a matched pair, they were more like Big Bro & Lil' Sis...
BID 1 2 3 072121 potted.JPG

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Two of these on a super cheap Wayfair sale before the Fourth. Way better then I thought.
Ones up and ready for the winter, the other one… well…that’s a whole ‘nother story!
Gotta love them thar Stimulus checks!
image.jpg
cheers
DSD sends

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Two of these on a super cheap Wayfair sale before the Fourth. Way better then I thought.
Ones up and ready for the winter, the other one… well…that’s a whole ‘nother story!
Gotta love them thar Stimulus checks!
View attachment 387624
cheers
DSD sends
That is really nice! What size is it...6' x 8'?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yep, both are 6x8. This one is on ye old hot tub slab!

That took a couple days to grind in a drainage path, install a French drain from there and run the electrical out there. I first dug a 4’ deep vertical drainage hole that wouldn’t drain due the glacial clay layer in that area. 😣
I added temperature sensing control devices on the vent and louvers and these work great.

Sadly the really sturdy cool racks are back ordered until late September!

…and the rest of the story. The next one needs a bit of a foundation and likely a drain too. No slab for this one, inside the foundation will be a 4 - 5” layer of drain rock as it’s in a sunny area. I’m working out whether that alone will work to moderate the temperature. Or if I should also bury some sort of a heat sink…. Maybe 5 gal water jugs??…. or something to assist. Any ideas anyone?

Also its sited right on one of the garden areas, so I have to wait until September…. And the electrical conduit will need to run about 43’…right through the Fleet Admiral’s very most favorite plants….

Another fun project!

best
DSD sends

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yep, both are 6x8. This one is on ye old hot tub slab!

That took a couple days to grind in a drainage path, install a French drain from there and run the electrical out there. I first dug a 4’ deep vertical drainage hole that wouldn’t drain due the glacial clay layer in that area. 😣
I added temperature sensing control devices on the vent and louvers and these work great.

Sadly the really sturdy cool racks are back ordered until late September!

…and the rest of the story. The next one needs a bit of a foundation and likely a drain too. No slab for this one, inside the foundation will be a 4 - 5” layer of drain rock as it’s in a sunny area. I’m working out whether that alone will work to moderate the temperature. Or if I should also bury some sort of a heat sink…. Maybe 5 gal water jugs??…. or something to assist. Any ideas anyone?

Also its sited right on one of the garden areas, so I have to wait until September…. And the electrical conduit will need to run about 43’…right through the Fleet Admiral’s very most favorite plants….

Another fun project!

best
DSD sends
Did you cut the branches off the tree specifically for the greenhouse? You've been busy!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yop, sadly my chainsaw wouldn’t start or I would of done a better job.
I guess they need to be tuned up more then once evry 15 years!
best
DSD sends

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
U could have extended the gazebo and fit the trees in there so you can enjoy them while sitting in the hot tub ..duh lol.
Ummm...no, not really. It's pretty packed when things are in leaf...and a severe storm is forecast.
FB_IMG_1627210284028.jpg

The benches are full as well. That hot tub took up to much space. Besides...those trees are outside most of the time unless dormant or early spring. Much prefer enjoying them on the bench outdoors. The gazebo gets far more use with the trees than the hot tub ever seen. My husband says all the time...what a good decision he made. 😉 he supports my hobby and is proud of it.
FB_IMG_1627210257031.jpg

Top Bottom