What about a White Oak?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Has anybody had, have, or tried using White Oak for material? I have been training one for about 15 years now, it has a nice trunk going but I'm working on the branching and sub-branching. It's a SLOOOOOOOOOOOW process.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Interesting! Are the leaves reducing? How much? any picts?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Are you talking strictly of Quercus Alba or "white oak" as a group/category (red or white)?

FYI, Live Oak (so many variants within this too) is under the white oak category and it is used a lot in bonsai trade.

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
I think white oak family trees develop quicker than red oak family trees do.

In the northeast I'd try Q robur, which is on offer from nurseries and affordable.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Are you talking strictly of Quercus Alba or "white oak" as a group/category (red or white)?

FYI, Live Oak (so many variants within this too) is under the white oak category and it is used a lot in bonsai trade.

It's a WHITE Oak, its has the rounded Lobed leaves, I'm hoping to allow the brancehs to thicken up a few years then do a drastic chop down to the basic form. it has tiny acorns this year but the branching now is totally out of proportion. I'll be send photos soon!! Photos for me can be a SLOOOOOOOW process too. ( Busy lifestyle I lead)

Top Bottom