What about iron?

tmjudd1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I now have a planted aquarium, and one of the 'micro-nutrients' that I feed my aquatic plants is liquid iron. I've noticed progressively good results in adding the iron. Today, while feeding my Bonsai, I began to wonder if maybe a little bit of iron, now and then, would also be good for my Bonsai, too?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dusted some of that Georgia Red Clay in the garden beds the other day.

I reckon something like that could keep it cheap and more biodiverse, plus no plastic from purchased product.

I'm still with the rusted chunks of iron on the soil too.

Sorce

tmjudd1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Plants growing with general 'All in One' Fert's, and good full spectrum lighting. Not bad, but nothing special.
312~2.jpg

Plants growing just as in the first photo, after three weeks of adding iron. The results are noticable!
Hets added today.jpg

Could Bonsai benefit from adding iron too, or does this only work with submerged growth and injected Co2????

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
From what I've seen, iron is commonly included in most fertilizers with micronutrients. At that point I think it's more important to manage the soil ph and water quality to keep iron usable by the plants. They'll show if they're not getting enough, especially acid loving plants like azaleas.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Iron is also added to most commercial potting soil mixes because it is one of the most frequent deficiencies in modern soilless potting mixes.
Most fertilizers also have good Iron levels for the same reasons.
If you are making your own potting soils or not using a proper balanced fertilizer with trace elements extra iron will almost certainly improve growth and green of plants.
As mentioned pH can also affect how iron and other elements are taken up by plants so maintaining suitable soil pH is probably more important than simply adding extra trace elements.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I use liquid trace elements/ micro nutrients.
At least twice a year the plants get a good spray with it.
The foliage turns a few shades darker green within a week. So I think they like it.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I also use a fertilizer with micronutrients added to make sure those nurtients are included in my tree's regimen

Top Bottom