What age is an airlayer?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I know ... I paid for treatments to slow the growth and store energy. It gave my tree more years. It has well outlived its lifespan. But ... it's finally declining.

I'd be interested to know more too despite not caring as much for fruiting/flowering bonsai. I wonder if there are ways to keep a tree alive and healthy for longer if it's kept smaller, as if the tree outgrows what its roots can support rather than dying of old age like humans or animals.
I don't know...I've not heard ones make the claim it does. Cleary they have been bonsai ... I've never heard our hobby extending life of a tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@Soup Dragon Did you ever attempt that airlayer? If yes, how did it go?
I am considering air layering a plum tree at the end of its life (30+ years old and not producing much fruit anymore).
I did! I layered a plum and an apricot. Both layered successfully (created strong roots and survived a year). The plum, which grew energetically and seemed really strong died suddenly last summer. I have no idea why. The apricot is weaker, and grows slowly, but is still alive.

Bonsilot

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I did! I layered a plum and an apricot. Both layered successfully (created strong roots and survived a year). The plum, which grew energetically and seemed really strong died suddenly last summer. I have no idea why. The apricot is weaker, and grows slowly, but is still alive.
That gives me a bit of hope an airlayer would work. I'll try a larger branch and a few very young branches and see how it goes.

I hope the apricot pulls through!

Top Bottom