What are the easiest species to grow from seed?

Blox

Seedling
Reaction score
So I'm still quite new to bonsai, only started last year mostly (killed some stuff before then). So I have a pretty small collection of trees that are very far from becoming bonsai. Anyway, I was wondering what species I can grow from seed in the meantime. So what species are the easiest? My climate is Mediterranean by the way (hot dry summers and wet winters, basically never gets to freezing temperatures)
Thanks

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Operculicarya decaryi and baobabs grow really very fast from seed, both african natives. And acacias are easy to propagate from seed and grow well too.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Japanese Black Pine
Grow really easy from seed, damp off after sprouting though so you can lose a few that way. They are coastal trees in Japan, accustomed to mild weather and I have seen them growing in everything from pretty harsh temperate climates with dramatic swings from hot cold all the way down to South Florida where there is one season- HOT. Bet they would do well in your climate and of course they are perfect subjects for bonsai.

I have had mixed success with many other species from seed, and lots of trees can produce varying traits when grown from seed...

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
*grocery*

Do baobabs make good bonsai?

Sure, google images has a few. There are some nice fat trunk bonsai in South Africa and Australia. They are vigorous growers, if you can figure out how to overwinter them. My young plant from seed was active in summer and dormant in SoCal "winter", but it slowly started shifting the dormant period and it currently is dormant and probably won't push buds until the end of summer.

Blox

Seedling
Reaction score
Maybe pomegranate? They grow very easily from grociery store fruits. I honestly have no idea.

Welcome though!
I should try that, although I am probably able to get some pomegranate prebonsai from a local nursery. Might as well have some seedlings too though

Blox

Seedling
Reaction score
Operculicarya decaryi and baobabs grow really very fast from seed, both african natives. And acacias are easy to propagate from seed and grow well too.
That's convenient because I already have a baobab and an acacia that I started last year from seed :D yeah they germinated almost immediately

Blox

Seedling
Reaction score
Japanese Black Pine
Grow really easy from seed, damp off after sprouting though so you can lose a few that way. They are coastal trees in Japan, accustomed to mild weather and I have seen them growing in everything from pretty harsh temperate climates with dramatic swings from hot cold all the way down to South Florida where there is one season- HOT. Bet they would do well in your climate and of course they are perfect subjects for bonsai.

I have had mixed success with many other species from seed, and lots of trees can produce varying traits when grown from seed...
I definitely need to get some black pine seeds, I'm currently growing 5 pinus pinea or possibly allepo pine that I grew from collected seed. I've tried the seedling cutting technique on one of them but I'm not sure if it will work. Black pines are proven to work though so I should definitely get some seeds. Know of any seed suppliers that would ship to South Africa?

Blox

Seedling
Reaction score
Sure, google images has a few. There are some nice fat trunk bonsai in South Africa and Australia. They are vigorous growers, if you can figure out how to overwinter them. My young plant from seed was active in summer and dormant in SoCal "winter", but it slowly started shifting the dormant period and it currently is dormant and probably won't push buds until the end of summer.
How do you overwinter yours? I've heard that they have to be kept completely dry when dormant

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Know of any seed suppliers that would ship to South Africa?
I've ordered and had delivered seeds from more suppliers, from more continents. There's no problem with shipping generally, but certain species can be prohibited to export or import and then it's up to supplier.

Wanted to mention those Mediterranean pines before...you can consider all the species from that region - pistacia, olive, rosemary...some Australian natives - malaleuca, eucalyptus, leptospermum, metrosideros, callistemon...

Last edited:

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How do you overwinter yours? I've heard that they have to be kept completely dry when dormant
I've read the same and also read that they can be bare rooted and stored in the winter. However, I think that applies to mature trees. I'm in Southern California, so no freeze and I left my sapling outside and when it lost leaves I covered pot in plastic wrap during rainy season. Although I almost lost it when stem began to desiccate and shrivel just above the soil line. I cut out the shriveled piece and wedge grafted it to the base. Now it's too ugly for bonsai, so I'm just growing it for fun. I'll have to find pics and start another thread.

Geo

Chumono
Reaction score
Todos Santos,Baja Sur Elev56M 23.46N 110.24W
USDA Zone
11+
Tamarindus indica should grow well from seed for you. They are,however, true tropicals;so not under 15C.
Yes, @sorce I am still here,mostly lurking. Just got tired of a few a-holes and thinking I had to respond to their drivel.I don't,so i don't.I let @AlainK from Orleans do it.He is so much better.But thanks for noticing.

Last edited:

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm also in a Mediterranean climate. I've had a very easy go of it with Japanese Maple, Liquidambar, Chinese Elm and Pomegranate. Black pine is easy to germinate, but they grow more slowly.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I've ordered and had delivered seeds from more suppliers, from more continents. There's no problem with shipping generally, but certain species can be prohibited to export or import and then it's up to supplier.

Wanted to mention those Mediterranean pines before...you can consider all the species from that region - pistacia, olive, rosemary...some Australian natives - malaleuca, eucalyptus, leptospermum, metrosideros, callistemon...

Definitely agree there, that said I have had a poor year with seeds so far. About to try another batch and hopefully will get some Eucs, Mels and Leptos to come up.
Also as the OP is in SA then I'd be trying for some Acacia and even try a Jacaranda as a giggle.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
X2 on JBP and trident also.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have found sheffields to be by FAR the best place to buy seeds. They are often more expensive, but you get what you pay for. Also had great luck with myseeds.co. Rareexoticseeds sent good stuff too, except the trident maple seeds I bought seemed to be old and almost none sprouted (but that may have been my fault). They sent extra gift seeds though so its okay.

Top Bottom