What are you reading?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I’ve been between books for a few months, the last was The Manuscript Found in Saragossa which is a great spooky framework story that you can easily pick up and put down.

Last year I attempted to re-read all of Thomas Bernhard’s novels but still have Extinction to finish. I’d like to revisit Krasznahorkai, I’ve yet to read Seibo There Below, which people seems to love.

Also have a couple promising sounding but unknown-to-me books from a used bookstore, including The Painter Gabriel by Donald Newlove which may be a bit too peppy for me and Cockpit by Jerzey Kosinski.

Started The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman but I’m historically bad at following through on books like these.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I just started The Botany of Desire: A Plant's Eye View of the World by Michael Pollan. I'm kind of an episodic binge reader. Sometimes book after book, then long stretches of no books.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've been working my way through James Clavell's Shogun for almost a year now. I'm FINALLY on the last chapter... of book one.
Might be doing better if I actually owned a copy, in stead of having to check it out from the library in spurts.

But, hey, I'm finding time to read again, even if it's only occasionally. That's a big improvement in my life.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Revisiting Beckett this year, Murphy has been a great start. It's been long enough to see with new eyes, and I look forward to reading through his work again.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I read often...

Right NOW I'm reading alot of Lord Dunsany... but just got done with Pud'n'head Wilson... and am going to start Parcival..

Also.. close to 1/2 of the Books I own are sci-fi.. MOSTLY from 1850-1980... I really like the 40's and 50's... it's just "happenstance" that I am not reading Sci-Fi currently..

I almost grabbed "To your scattered bodies go" and started the riverworld saga (again) but didn't...

Maybe some Niven for my next Sci-Fi adventure!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I like Epic Poetry and Philosophy alot, too.

I also am continuously reading doctrinal wisdom from anyone who chose to publish their "path".. or "religion"... or "ways" or "belief-system".

My Theology collection would offend many of the beliefs it contains.

😂

Oooh!.. Also...

Calvin and Hobbes.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I've always loved Japanese literature, the classics, Kawabata, Tanizaki, Mishima...

And now the "modern" ones, Haruki Murakami, Natsuo Kirino...

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
just finished Moss: from forest to garden : a guide to the hidden world of moss Ulrica Nordström (Author), good little general introduction to moss and i am going to start The Amur River: Between Russia and China by Colin Thubron tonight. I have a stack of books to read and the stack grows faster than i can get through them.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
one of my favorite graphic novels

View attachment 426685

free download
That's a GOOD one!

A few of my friends are VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY into Anime/Manga... so It takes a certain type for me to sustain interest..

I'm pretty sure Akira is the first one I ever read.

🤓

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Story time..

Oh, I wish my kids were young enough to read stories and pop-ups...

I hope that I still have Jan Pienkowski's "Haunted House" somewhere : I gave away most of the children's books when they grew up, but I really wanted to keep that one... Just saw that it was on sale second-hand on E-Bay for 59.99€. I won't sell it. It's the kind of book you either keep, or give, but don't sell... ;)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Oh, I wish my kids were young enough to read stories and pop-ups...

I hope that I still have Jan Pienkowski's "Haunted House" somewhere : I gave away most of the children's books when they grew up, but I really wanted to keep that one... Just saw that it was on sale second-hand on E-Bay for 59.99€. I won't sell it. It's the kind of book you either keep, or give, but don't sell... ;)
My oldest, Riley, is 11 now.. and reads, "chapter books" often and has a growing collection.. but still lets me read to him...

I did, too... (re:MY mother).. I was 12, when I finally told her that "..she really didn't have to do that anymore ".(my god, as a parent.. that'd have crushed me).. I remember the book.. "Magic in the Park"... about a magical tree that would transform the children into birds when they'd climb inside the hollow of the gnarled old trunk. The tree ITSELF turned out to be a metamorphosis of this Older Gentleman who frequented the park, always feeding the birds.

I still have it...

Because yesterday I noticed it by Riley's bed... seems he's reading it.
🤯😱

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
;)

How having children is something that those who haven't can't grasp. This kind of assesment might sound very stupid, but you know how love is infusing all cracks in our life. Not sure that you understand me, the Frenchman who doesn't speak everyday Engerish, but I think I can feel the love you give to your children, and that's the best you can give them.

Top Bottom