What are you reading?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Just read the first short story from "Slow learner" by Thomas Pynchon.

Booked a table at Lebanese restaurant tomorrow for a lunch with my friend. I thought it was her birthday, but she said it's next month... Oops :oops:

Well... 😁

Last edited:

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
;)

How having children is something that those who haven't can't grasp. This kind of assesment might sound very stupid, but you know how love is infusing all cracks in our life. Not sure that you understand me, the Frenchman who doesn't speak everyday Engerish, but I think I can feel the love you give to your children, and that's the best you can give them.
Bless you, Alain.

Your Engerish is perfect.

🤓

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maybe some Niven for my next Sci-Fi adventure!

I just finished Ringworld.

Currently reading: Treason Was No Crime, by Nicholas Reynolds.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I JUST logged in to post on this thread first! 😂

I did a 6-book swap with my attic/crawlspace bookshelf... You have to pull out a ladder, grab some gloves and remove a big hunk of insulation, crawl up in there, change a lightbulb and the books are to your left. 😂😂😂

These were the six I swapped... (including one I spoke of recently with @sorce , and I bet you'd never guess WHICH one, unless you were in that thread too... 🤪)

E2CB9C74-6AC0-4E22-8D00-14D1B75048DB.jpeg
That shelf is MOSTLY textbooks.. so my selections are Non-fiction heavy... and this is not an exact representation of how I read, which is closer to 60/40 FICTION heavy.

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Alright. I finally got my "current reading" situated..

I am reading THESE three books at the moment... it will change soon.

0E83A43C-BBC2-4964-A6B3-C5C727075E69.jpeg

ONE of them is a RE-read. ;)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Just read the first short story from "Slow learner" by Thomas Pynchon.

Excellent

Never forget that we live in a universe built upon entropy.

“It went on for a month. Those who had taken it for a cosmic sign cringed beneath the sky each nightfall, imagining ever more extravagant disasters. Others, for whom orange did not seem an appropriately apocalyptic shade, sat outdoors on public benches, reading calmly, growing used to the curious pallor. As nights went on and nothing happened and the phenomenon slowly faded to the accustomed deeper violets again, most had difficulty remembering the earlier rise of heart, the sense of overture and possibility, and went back once again to seeking only orgasm, hallucination, stupor, sleep, to fetch them through the night and prepare them against the day.”

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I just got a couple in the mail by Alexander Kluge, who launched the New German Cinema movement as well: Air Raid, and Anyone Who Utters a Consoling Word is a Traitor

Been looking at Lukacs’ The Destruction of Reason too

Last edited:

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I am reading "Men Explain Things to Me" by Rebecca Solnit.
I heard her on a podcast saying than men, having seen the book, contact her to explain the vignettes in the book to her. Too funny.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Actually this month I read the important stories in the Bible to see if that’s my kind of thing. Not for now 😅. But I just started to re read “Zero to one” by Peter Thiel .

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The Other Name Septology 1&2 - Jon Fosse. Great Norwegian author.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Actually this month I read the important stories in the Bible to see if that’s my kind of thing. Not for now 😅. But I just started to re read “Zero to one” by Peter Thiel .
If not for religious or theological purposes, I think a decent knowledge of at least the Old Testament goes a long way in helping make sense of the world. The Jewish Torah is essentially the first 4 books, and these stories are even recognized by the Muslim world. The rest puts modern Christianity in a new light.
If you want to make sense of all the conflict in the Middle East, read the story of Abraham. Jews trace their claim to the holy land through his son Issac, and Arab Muslims through Ishmael. Fascinating once you start looking at it as a shared history.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Years ago I took the advice . Don’t get off work and go home and watch the news it’s just adds stress . So extension of that stopped listening to radio on commute after work . I have a 45 minute drive to work . This spring wife’s job changed so she commutes with me to the city . Which is great we get that how was your day talk over before we get home . But for last 5 years I got in the habit of listening to Audio books for the commute and I really mis it . Highly recommend it for commute or try it for any long drive you make alone . Originally got the idea from a truck driver

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh, I wish my kids were young enough to read stories and pop-ups...

I hope that I still have Jan Pienkowski's "Haunted House" somewhere : I gave away most of the children's books when they grew up, but I really wanted to keep that one... Just saw that it was on sale second-hand on E-Bay for 59.99€. I won't sell it. It's the kind of book you either keep, or give, but don't sell... ;)
Last night was my daughters high school prom dance so reading to her at bedtime is long gone . But she told me it’s one of her first memories 😎😎 never to early to get kids into books . Bed time reading lead to looking at the stars thru telescope at the cottage . She starts a science program in university in the fall 😎😎

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Last night was my daughters high school prom dance so reading to her at bedtime is long gone . But she told me it’s one of her first memories 😎😎 never to early to get kids into books . Bed time reading lead to looking at the stars thru telescope at the cottage . She starts a science program in university in the fall 😎😎
:))))

Around here, there are A TON of "summer reading programs"

My children read more books than watch TV by nearly ten-fold...

By NOW.. it's their choice.

🤓

Top Bottom