What are you working on?

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I wanted to give Paul's oval technique a try again, but with a twist or should I say crack. I've combined the thrown oval wall with my crack pot technique. Cut it from bat this morning, attached to the slab, feet inside to dry at the same rate and ready to be bagged.

Have a few accent pot trials, crawl glaze tests, crack pots and a large slabbed oval in a ^5 firing also this morning.

Picked up some paperclay yesterday, will be doing some slab and thrown pots today, also trimming the feet on this black beauty(color after firing).

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep posting your pot processes. I really like to see what you are up to.

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Glad I can keep you interested in my erperiementation, still searching for my "style", but may never have a particular look like some potters, there's few as soon as you see a pot you know it's theirs. I tend to bounce from one technique to the next, guess that keeps things fresh.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Glad I can keep you interested in my erperiementation, still searching for my "style", but may never have a particular look like some potters, there's few as soon as you see a pot you know it's theirs. I tend to bounce from one technique to the next, guess that keeps things fresh.

You will find your own style and form once you stop looking for it. It is when you fall into something that you like to do and can do well that your individualism will start to come out. Be patient. As of now I like your pots. JMHO; don't try to be unique by making pots that are too bazaar or peculiar. If it is bonsai you are into make sure what you do will make a nice home for a bonsai and a good one at that.

Your bottom pot looks a lot like the kind of thing Sara Raynor would make; I like her pots my comparison is not meant as a critique, just an observation. The top one a lot like Hagadorn (sp?), whom I like as well if not better. His stuff is a bit more versatile as far as bonsai is concerned. You have to have the right tree to use a Sara Pot. You could do worse.

Last edited:

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks Vance, just to be compared to Rayner and Hagedorn is encouraging.

I'm not into creating the bazaar, fun to look at but it's too limiting and distracting to the eye. I just try to "keep it simple stupid", it's easy to get carried away sometimes.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks Vance, just to be compared to Rayner and Hagedorn is encouraging.

I'm not into creating the bazaar, fun to look at but it's too limiting and distracting to the eye. I just try to "keep it simple stupid", it's easy to get carried away sometimes.

Here is something you might want to experiment with: A number of years ago I received a boxed set of Japanese post that were so finely finished they almost looked like they had a clear glaze over them. I assume that this was done with very fine emery cloth or smoothed while still somewhat wet, in an event I have never seen any like them before and I would like to see some Western maker come up with this kind of quality.

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here is something you might want to experiment with: A number of years ago I received a boxed set of Japanese post that were so finely finished they almost looked like they had a clear glaze over them. I assume that this was done with very fine emery cloth or smoothed while still somewhat wet, in an event I have never seen any like them before and I would like to see some Western maker come up with this kind of quality.

You wouldn't happen to have a photo would you? Sounds like Tokoname or similar.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You wouldn't happen to have a photo would you? Sounds like Tokoname or similar.

Not at the moment, but I'll try to get a couple up in the next day or two. I have been working on a two-year redesigning project on several of my trees plus all the other stuff you have to do this time of year, plus getting ready for a show and dodging rain. It seems I just get into a rhythm and it starts raining again; very frustrating.

Top Bottom