What are your 2020 projects?

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As 2020 appears to be a year of more time at home I was wondering what little projects everyone’s started this year? I do grow seeds even though I am aware they take a long long time to develop into anything. All my seeds are grown indoors and will be moved outside when strong enough. For some reason people keep giving me Japanese Black Pine seeds and honestly I am sick of the sight of em! Right now the seeds at least give me something to do while my nursery stock just concentrates on growing.

Seedlings
Right now I have some Dawn Redwood seedlings that germinated this spring.
Some Japanese Cedar have just been planted after exiting cold stratification so I have to wait and see on those.
Currently still stratifying are Coastal Redwood, more Dawn Redwood, Korean Hornbeam, J.B Pine, J.W Pine.
Stored for next year are Acer Palmatum Osakazuki, Acer Palmatum Dissectum Viridis, and yet more J.B Pine.

Pre-Bonsai Material - Currently working on trunk thickening so left to grow crazy.
Acer Palmatum Orange Dream
Acer Palmatum Butterfly
Acer Palmatum Beni Maiko
Acer Palmatum Dissectum Emerald Lace
Acer Palmatum Dissectum Red Dragon
Acer Shirasawanum Aureum

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
In the ground: crabapples, Princes Persimmon, Itoigawa, ‘Seigen’ Japanese Maple, Crape Myrtle, redbud.
In progress: Ume, ilex seratta, sweetgum, JBP & JRP seedlings, and a big black pine with some grafts.
Propagating: Kiyozuro Shimpaku, Chojubai, and Kinsai azalea.
Big project: redesign and build a new bonsai garden...we’ll see...

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hm.. Loads of seedlings, a few hundred of them. Japan Maples, Trident maples, Elms.
Cuttings.. Jap maples, arakawa maples, elms, junipers, cork bark pines, P mume, Raintrees etcetc

Then a few collected trees, large Yews (3) Hibiscus (2)

I did a bunch of summer repots and I tried my hands at grafting multiple species.

All in all, a year full of activity here. But nothing major.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My main project for this year was to transition all my trees from plastic and wood into ceramic pots. I'm very happy with the progress I made this spring with over a hundred trees transitioned and only about a dozen that got processed and put back in wood or plastic because I didn't have pots for those. I do now and those will get done after fall or in spring. Included in the process was an education in pot wares, where to get them, what is stoneware, vitrified, ect, with a short course in shipping and receiving. Very interesting stuff!
On tap I have about fifty Japanese Maple seedlings I collected this spring that will become two forest plantings and a couple of solo trees.
I have a dozen shimpaku cuttings for a junie forest planting. These are two years old and will be set up in spring.
I have 17 Doug fir seedlings I gathered from my pots in the repotting marathon this spring. I've actually been collecting these for a few years as I repot so most all are a few years old. I'll put them all together in a forest.
I have 18 Cork oaks sprouted from acorns this spring for an oak forest. I bought 10, but each had two acorns and they all sprouted.
I have ( if you haven't bawked yet, here it comes) about 15 black walnut saplings I'm going to build a walnut forest.
I also have my sights set on collecting several yew trees, some crabapples and some oaks.
Who knows what else will pop up in the meanwhile?

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My main project for this year was to transition all my trees from plastic and wood into ceramic pots. I'm very happy with the progress I made this spring with over a hundred trees transitioned and only about a dozen that got processed and put back in wood or plastic because I didn't have pots for those. I do now and those will get done after fall or in spring. Included in the process was an education in pot wares, where to get them, what is stoneware, vitrified, ect, with a short course in shipping and receiving. Very interesting stuff!
On tap I have about fifty Japanese Maple seedlings I collected this spring that will become two forest plantings and a couple of solo trees.
I have a dozen shimpaku cuttings for a junie forest planting. These are two years old and will be set up in spring.
I have 17 Doug fir seedlings I gathered from my pots in the repotting marathon this spring. I've actually been collecting these for a few years as I repot so most all are a few years old. I'll put them all together in a forest.
I have 18 Cork oaks sprouted from acorns this spring for an oak forest. I bought 10, but each had two acorns and they all sprouted.
I have ( if you haven't bawked yet, here it comes) about 15 black walnut saplings I'm going to build a walnut forest.
I also have my sights set on collecting several yew trees, some crabapples and some oaks.
Who knows what else will pop up in the meanwhile?
Wow, busy busy busy! I quite like the idea of your walnut forest. I’d be interested in seeing how that develops over time!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It was time to refresh the stain on benches and replace wood chips with a gravel surface between benches and grow beds. Added some bench display area. Currently in grow beds, JBP, JRP, Hornbeam, Zelkova, Princess Persimmon, Tskhumo Cypress, Shimpaku, Itoigawa, Kishu, Seiju Elm, Prunus mume, Trident and Japanese maples. Similar variety further advanced in grow boxes and a small personal collection.
Collected trees, Shore Pines, Mountain Hemlock, Sub Alpine Fir, Yellow Cedar.
Functional nursery area looking a bit brighter this fall! greenhouse empty and cleaned, ready for winter occupants.

Attachments

• IMG_1153.jpeg
    IMG_1153.jpeg
    344.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1161.jpeg
    IMG_1161.jpeg
    362 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1159.jpeg
    IMG_1159.jpeg
    334.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1158.jpeg
    IMG_1158.jpeg
    343.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1157.jpeg
    IMG_1157.jpeg
    337.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1154.jpeg
    IMG_1154.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 15

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At this time of the year I am building a larger cold frame and filling all my raised beds. Building a larger in ground grow area.
Avoiding any seed starting but collecting seed and cuttings appropriate for autumn, like juniper.

Top Bottom