What are your favorite tree for bonsai?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm trying to expand my imagination for bonsai and I was wondering what people like the most. Soon I will be getting a Japanese black pine but I'd like to get SOMETHING else too but I don't know what all I can grow in 8a zone.

Toss out your favorite I need suggestions

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
1) Japanese Maple
2) Japanese Black pine
3) Azaleas
4) wrightia Religiosa
5) Trident maple
6) Korean hornbeam

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
I love Maples! Some food for thought would be to build a greenhouse and then you could get more species of tree's regardless of the zone that you live in:)

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I love Ponderosa pines, elms, and oaks. But I have A LOT of species I'm the garden, those are just my favorites.

Aaron

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I love junipers of all sorts and jbp, but also love maples. Whichever way you go, my main suggestion would be to use what will do well in your location. Nothing takes the fun out of the hobby more then fighting health issues related to climate incompatibility.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A wide variety of whatever grows best in 8A...The local landscape nurseries are a good guide. If they're selling Olives and Pomegranates for yards, then there's what grows best in your zone.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Cedar Elm, Hackberry, Chinese Quince, Japanese flowering Quince, Amur Maple, Trident Maple, Japanese Maple, and Crape Myrtle.

Top Bottom